1 2
Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
1/3/18 4:36 p.m.

I somehow bumped my parking light clear plastic just below the headlight and broke it although I don’t really remember doing it.   2016 Chevrolet Silverado LS as in almost the base model.  

Chevrolet parts guys says I have to buy a new headlight assembly for $1,400.  No, really isn’t this a replacement cover?  He says I have the high priced HD lights.   Nobody in the aftermarket or eBay either. What gives?  Although everyone has the headlight in the $750 range   

Yeah - not digging Chevrolet right now.....

Bobcougarzillameister
Bobcougarzillameister MegaDork
1/3/18 4:43 p.m.

Hasn't changed in 20+ years. You've never been able to buy headlight housing covers. That was the #2 question I got at Acura over 10 years there. At least it's not the new LED headlights. The RLX's were $2400 each when they were released. #1 question was always "why are you charging so much?" 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
1/3/18 4:44 p.m.
Bobcougarzillameister said:

... #1 question was always "why are you charging so much?" 

Because F-you, that's why...

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
1/3/18 4:48 p.m.
Bobcougarzillameister
1/3/18 5:07 p.m.

looks like the price has come down:

RLX

they're now "only" $2100 per side. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
1/3/18 5:25 p.m.
Bobcougarzillameister said:

looks like the price has come down:

RLX

they're now "only" $2100 per side. 

Almost challenge priced.  wink

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
1/3/18 5:28 p.m.

In reply to fasted58 :

$870.24 - I already saw this.  Still hurts - I’m Bohemian don’t forget.  

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/3/18 5:32 p.m.

Real E39 headlights are the same way. Over $1k per side, but you can buy crap eBay knockoffs with poor optics if you'd like. 

Headlights are sealed up, so you can't really just replace the cover.

But this is a pet peeve of mine. Annual "restylings" that are just new head and tail lights. Drives the price of fragile parts up for no good reason at all. Lights are something that should be standardized, like tire sizes are and for the same reasons. All the sexy cars of the 60's did so with a fairly standard set of lights to choose from, and they turned out okay.

Bobcougarzillameister
1/3/18 5:37 p.m.

In reply to nutherjrfan :

TROOF! Too bad that only gets you a headlight and not the rest of the car...... although this gives me an idea! Grab a headlight for the challenge that is challenge priced and run around the course making car noises. It could be the new sub-class "High dollar Headlight" class!

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
1/3/18 5:42 p.m.

car-parts.com. Tape up the hole until somebody wrecks the other side of one.  They need the option code, and whether its got chrome or body colored bezel.  The one on the top of the list, there were five available in the USA.

And, swanky lights all cost a bundle. 

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
1/3/18 5:54 p.m.

Too new for CL?

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
1/3/18 6:00 p.m.

salvage yard?

nationwide lookup

gotta be sumthin even Bohemian priced

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/3/18 6:38 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

I somehow bumped my parking light clear plastic just below the headlight and broke it although I don’t really remember doing it.   2016 Chevrolet Silverado LS as in almost the base model.  

Chevrolet parts guys says I have to buy a new headlight assembly for $1,400.  No, really isn’t this a replacement cover?  He says I have the high priced HD lights.   Nobody in the aftermarket or eBay either. What gives?  Although everyone has the headlight in the $750 range   

Yeah - not digging Chevrolet right now.....

A driver's seat for a 6 year old Malibu is $1200.

The wheels on your truck are probably $2k each.

Parts ain't cheap for new cars...

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan SuperDork
1/3/18 6:52 p.m.

Isn't this also a huge issue for insurance premiums?  Pricier to fix = pricier to insure?  Or that does that get spread out to the rest of us? frown  New motto:  If I'm gonna have a fender bender it's only with older cars. frown

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
1/3/18 7:18 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

I have Factory steel wheels with the S/S cover.   They can’t be that expensive.....

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
1/3/18 7:38 p.m.

An enterprising person could see a business opportunity here.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/3/18 7:54 p.m.
nutherjrfan said:

Isn't this also a huge issue for insurance premiums?  Pricier to fix = pricier to insure?  Or that does that get spread out to the rest of us? frown  New motto:  If I'm gonna have a fender bender it's only with older cars. frown

Look up how much headlights for a first generation Mazda 6 cost!

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
1/3/18 8:19 p.m.
Knurled. said:
nutherjrfan said:

Better yet look up the Mazda 929.  

1kris06
1kris06 HalfDork
1/3/18 10:36 p.m.
Knurled. said:
nutherjrfan said:

Close to $500/side if you want OEM. God forbid you have factory HID or a Mazdaspeed6.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/4/18 2:45 a.m.
nutherjrfan said:

I try to aim for Volvos to take advantage of the well designed crumple zones.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
1/4/18 7:48 a.m.
ncjay said:

That was my thought as well.  I feel like flood cars should be plentiful just now in the Houston area.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
1/4/18 8:36 a.m.

Well that is horrifying.

My kids decided it would be fun to spray sunscreen on the headlights of our 2010 Santa Fe. I didn't find out until hours later, and by then the lenses were toast. I tried polishing them but the propellant in the spray sunscreen melted the plastic erratically and deeply. I found a pair of replacement light assemblies for $300 on Amazon and felt like I'd been robbed.

So now I have perspective. Had it been your truck, I'd be making an insurance claim.

As for a business opportunity, you'd have to find the company that supplies the factory lenses. Getting aftermarket lenses approved is a PITA. We had reproduction lenses at Year One that were sold as "off road use only" since they were not DOT approved. That lasted til we got busted and had to yank the whole line. DOT doesn't mess around with their lighting.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
1/4/18 9:23 a.m.

I'm used to pricing like that from imports, but GM? Holy cow.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/4/18 9:43 a.m.
ncjay said:

Seriously. With a single work bay and a big storage unit, you could buy a car, remove the headlights and sell the rest to a junkyard.

STM317
STM317 Dork
1/4/18 9:56 a.m.
slefain said:

As for a business opportunity, you'd have to find the company that supplies the factory lenses. Getting aftermarket lenses approved is a PITA. We had reproduction lenses at Year One that were sold as "off road use only" since they were not DOT approved. That lasted til we got busted and had to yank the whole line. DOT doesn't mess around with their lighting.

This. Companies spend a ton of money getting lights approved and certified. That doesn't include the cost for fancy tech like LED strips, HID or LED bulbs with heat sinks/cooling systems, Self-aiming lights etc. I'm not saying that the price you were quoted is reasonable, but it's not out of the norm for an OEM part from a dealer. These aren't sealed beams anymore. Having the latest and greatest stuff comes at a price.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
waNZm96MmJFOJQjQPpbAS8ouZjk7yVcTPF50SNaNSHOM8LYC08lwxZuVDp5yBeJI