1 2 3

I just watched "The Machine."

We are in bed most of the day because our dog blew out her left rear ACL five weeks ago, and her right rear 4 days ago. She's doing ok after both surgeries, but we don't leave her alone, and she's most comfortable in our bed.

I finished "The Machine" with earbuds and told my wife "I'm not sure WTF I just watched!"

Ralphie May

Bill Burr

John Mulaney (sp?)

tester
tester Reader
4/4/20 6:27 p.m.

Stand up is good but I prefer funny movies.

Peter Sellers in The Pink Panther series is epic!  The Party, etc... 

Abbot and Costello... Who's on first... 

Andy Griffith in No Time for Sergeants 

Mel Brooks' Young Frankenstein, which brings me to Prior and Wilder. So many good ones. 

Mike Myers in Austin Powers, etc..

Vince Vaughn is always good for a laugh especially with Owen Wilson. 

Christopher Loyd... obviously the tv show Taxi with Devito and so many others. Doc Brown. 

Eddie Murphy's early stuff, stand up and movies. 

noodle
noodle GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/4/20 8:00 p.m.

Dave Chappelle has been one of my favorites for several years...his last Netflix special was the best.  Tom Segura has a new show called Ball Hog, laughed a lot, but be warned it's not clean.  People still havn't forgiven Louie CK, but he's still one of the best.  Dave Attell is also a comic genuis....Finding something to laugh about is going to make a difficult Spring/Summer 2020 a little more sweat

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon SuperDork
4/4/20 9:28 p.m.

Lots of great suggestions above.

I'll add Greg Hahn. He's a lot more slapstick/stooge but he's funny if you're into that type of goofy kid humor. I've seen him live.

Also, Jeff Foxworthy is his funniest, IMO when he gets away from redneck humor. He understands relationships and family life and his analysis of it cracks me up.

My wife and I got engaged at a stand up show, thanks to Etta May.

j_tso
j_tso Reader
4/4/20 10:57 p.m.

John Bishop

If you can get past the Liverpool accent, his stand up is mostly dad jokes, getting old, and being a young guy in the 80s.

volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter)
volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
4/6/20 6:57 a.m.

In reply to tester :

We enjoy funny movies, too.  Unfortunately, lately we spend half an hour looking for a movie, and then the movie's 2 hours long, so we end up getting to bed at midnight. And then get woken up at 6 by the two tiny terrorists who run our house.  We figured with a comedian, we could watch little 5 minute clips, and if they sucked, move on.

We've also already watched a ton of Carlin, so we intentionally skipped over him though he is a favorite.  Same with Seinfeld and Comedians in Cars.

So, Friday night we sat down with Youtube on the Roku, this forum topic pulled up on my phone, a bowl of popcorn and some wine.  I don't recall everything that we watched, but there were some misses and some hits.

Started off with some Lewis Black.  Watched 4 minutes of him cursing like a sailor, and in general being an old man yelling at a cloud, went "meh" and went in search of something else.  We're not averse to swearing, but it seems like he was swearing to be funny, which never works.  

Pulled up "The Machine" (Bert Kreischer) and both had a good time, though Mrs. VCH said she'd have enjoyed it more if he'd put his shirt on.  Seriously, dude looked pregnant.  Ain't nobody want to see that.  I said I think it was part of the act.  Somehow.

Next we cued up Bill Hicks, who turned out to be surprisingly good.  Like, nearing Carlin-levels of dark and funny.  Really enjoyed his early-90's skit on drugs.  He closed with some vaguely political rant, which we didn't appreciate, but that seems to be par for the course with most comedians.

I didn't recognize the name 'Steven Wright" until I saw the face and heard the voice...ah, of course, "K Billy's Supersounds of the Seventies...keeps....on....truckin'"  he was hit or miss...older stuff seemed funnier.  I especially loved his "cop asked me why I was going so fast...I said, "I had my foot to the floor...sends more gas through the carburetor....makes the engine turn faster, drives the wheels, accelerates the car..."

Not a huge fan of Britcom...I know I'm in the minority here, but Cleese is only somewhat funny for me.

We stumbled back to some of our old favorites...watched a Letterman interview of John Candy from like 1982 that had us in stitches.  A Billy Chrystal routine from 1977.  Wow.  The fast-forward to the 90's and some comedy show with Billy Crystal, Whoopie Goldberg, and Robin Williams.  It was pretty good, until they brought Don Rickles on.  If that guy wasn't offending the Jews, he was going after the blacks, and when he got bored with them he went after some asians.  I'm not really a "PC" guy but geez, even in the 90's, was this OK?  I realize this was sort of his "thing" - taking jabs at people- but Mrs. VCH said she would be fine with never seeing Don Rickles ever again.  

I went to pee, and Mrs. VCH watched Billy Crystal's eulogy from Mohammed Ali's funeral.  What I heard of it was touching and funny.  

I remembered a John Oliver piece on conspiracy theories I liked, so I shared that, and her mind was blown.

SNL people tend to be hit or miss, but on several rec's here I cued up some John Mulaney.  We both enjoyed him, very funny,  good work.

Closed off the night watching some Carol Burnette skits, which were just berkeleying brilliant and hilarious.  In the current state of affairs, this one  really hit the mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMTSbSrvcRg

Thanks for all the recommendations; I'll keep this topic linked so we can come ack to it later and try out a few more.  

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/6/20 8:16 a.m.
noodle said:

Dave Chappelle has been one of my favorites for several years...his last Netflix special was the best.  Tom Segura has a new show called Ball Hog, laughed a lot, but be warned it's not clean.  People still havn't forgiven Louie CK, but he's still one of the best.  Dave Attell is also a comic genuis....Finding something to laugh about is going to make a difficult Spring/Summer 2020 a little more sweat

I watched Louis new special over the weekend. Definitely still the same acerbic guy he always has been, but I laughed. A lot.

tester
tester Reader
4/6/20 8:56 a.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter) :

Context is important. Just a little background on Don Rickles... he was Jewish.  90% of his insult stuff was actually self deprecating humor.  Not my cup of tea by any stretch. 

Yes. Burnett, Conway, and Corman were great. 

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
4/6/20 9:20 a.m.

YouTube Ricky Gervais Humpty Dumpty, or Nursery Rhymes. It's really funny.  Actually all of his stuff is pretty good. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wt3UXGzdA45DFs2zhW9m2QOnZpbWux9dkGD7vrXKrqAGqepMu93bDW2cUy1p3Ix8