Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/3/19 8:39 p.m.

I have inherited an old Cradtsman compressor.  It runs on 220, has an oil filled pump and runs like new but it’s sat for about 20 years and I get a lot of rust and water out of it. I’m sure it’s no good for my tools and somewhat concerned I’ll have one of those exploding tank stories so I’d like to replace it.  Is it as easy as finding a dead HF one and swap tanks or is there anything I have to pay attention to?

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Reader
3/3/19 8:43 p.m.

You should be good if you can prove it newish and clean inside. You are right to be careful of a rusty one!

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
3/4/19 1:08 p.m.

The trick will be finding a dead compressor that has a good tank.

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
3/4/19 1:15 p.m.

-generally- rusty tanks don't explode, they just get a pinhole in them and start leaking.

Take my free advice for what it's worth.

D2W
D2W HalfDork
3/4/19 2:35 p.m.

I know you are trying to do this on the cheap, but how cheap. A new bare compressor tank isn't that much and it's new.

Wally
3/4/19 3:03 p.m.

In reply to D2W :

I didn’t know that was an option, where should I look?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/4/19 3:44 p.m.

https://www.compressorworld.com/air-tanks

I suppose it's not really shocking that a 30 gallon tank is only about twice the price of a 1 gallon tank.

jimbbski
jimbbski Dork
3/4/19 4:03 p.m.

I have a 220V Craftsman air compressor. It had a 20 gal. tank when I bought it new but since I didn't drain the tank that often it did rust out and spring a leak in the bottom of the tank. A rusty tank will not explode. I shopped around for a new replacement tank, any air tank since I could addapt my motor to the tank.

I ended up buying a lightly used Craftsman "oil less" compressor with a 30 gal. tank for $100. I stripped it down to the bare tank. I then bolted  the mounting plate  from my old tank, which I cut off my old tank,  to the replacement tank.  No welding needed. A little bending of the tubing that feeds the compressed air from the pump to the tank and I was good to go.

Oh, before I did all this I removed the two large plugs at each end of the tank and inspected the inside.  There was some surface rust so I poured in some "rust remover" and let the tank sit for a time, then rolled it, and let it sit some more.  I added some chain and then rolled it around some more before draining it and washing it out with fresh water. I let it dry and then poured in some "antirust epoxy paint" and rolled it around again. One that dried I replaced the end plugs for good and re-assembled the compressor. And i also try to drain the tank more often.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/4/19 4:19 p.m.
jimbbski said:

And i also try to drain the tank more often.

This is the important part.

Wally
3/4/19 4:25 p.m.

In reply to jimbbski :

I think my tank is too far gone for that.  Even leaving the drain open I get rusty water out the vents on my tools.  I’d rather start with a better tank but I’ll probably do the rust coating in it to avoid problems in the future.  

D2W
D2W HalfDork
3/4/19 5:52 p.m.
Wally said:

In reply to D2W :

I didn’t know that was an option, where should I look?

Look local to you for a compressor shop. Somebody who sells higher quality stuff. They can get you one. Failing that google is your friend. Just put in the size and style you want, either horizontal or upright.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
3/5/19 2:46 p.m.

Tanks may not explode when they spring a leak, but it is possible - I've seen one that did.  Fortunately no one was in the garage when it happened, but the car that was parked next to it took a direct hit in the fender from the shrapnel.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
3/5/19 3:19 p.m.

Check Craiglist for a tank.     

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tHK51Umfnszm09UQXoQoTOY6qvwc0lFH1zqBYyfdjQypo4pSXtrs9VN6HFGkane0