kratos97
kratos97 New Spammer
12/17/19 9:12 p.m.

Hi, 
Been playing with the HTPC for a long time now, but still just barely to where it needs to be.  Next project is a remote to map certain keystrokes to control functions within MythTV.  Wifey is not fond of using a keyboard as a remote.  What's the best way to implement this?

OS is Ubuntu Linux.
Thanks.
Kratos

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
12/18/19 5:32 a.m.

use the MythTV Remote app on your cell phone?

This does scream canoe content though.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
12/18/19 8:49 a.m.

To be sure, 'tis an unusual first post to make on a car forum.  It's a good question, though.  I need to do the same thing myself.  In fact, I could have written the OP's post, except that I never start a post with "Hi".

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
12/18/19 5:36 p.m.

Post a link to the software you "found" to fix your problem, and we'll BAN HAMMER you, boy.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/18/19 5:43 p.m.

he's paddlin for a paddlin..

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
12/19/19 8:03 a.m.

I haven't used Myth, but did use Kodi for several years.  However, it got to be where I spent more time trying to find a good stream than actually watching anything.  SportsDevil never had the games I wanted to see in a quality that was worth watching.  Exodus was super flaky if you actually found a stream of something.

More to the point, I've got an older version of this Logitech media keyboard, with a built in trackpad.  It's works great for the HTPC, way easier to search with, and the trackpad is responsive enough.  I don't know why you'd want to make a HTPC more difficult to use with something like a remote?

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Keyboard-Control-Touchpad/dp/B014EUQOGK/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1J2TWITW7BTWW&keywords=touchpad+keyboard&qid=1576763642&sprefix=touch+pad+key%2Caps%2C204&sr=8-4

We pay for Netflix, the in-laws buy me Prime for Christmas every year, and our friends shared the Xfinity on demand with us, so we can watch ESPN & HBO.  We did pay for Sling plus the Sports package for one college football season, but ditched that.

With all the streaming services we have access to now, I haven't even turned the HTPC on in months, might be closer to a year now.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/20/19 11:12 a.m.

+1 for the remote control app if you don't want to use a keyboard. I just use wireless thumb-keyboards or a VNC connection for control. Back before those wireless thumb-keyboards were common, I had to use modified wireless videogame controllers with chatpads to get the same kind of control, which was expensive and a PITA to set up.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mPVgD8IEwCP3bs1uxZltDc7Eqq5VjAbF6iB9UTYVy9w1fu3pnYUorHu1UJVlbnwr