Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
9/19/20 11:36 a.m.

I haven't done much to it, a Dell 5558 Inspiron, in the recent years, but since the Suburban fiasco, I still need it to work. My problem is that is refuses to charge, no matter what charger or battery is present. I have done everything but update the bios that I can find on the interwebs. It says the bios can't detect the charger and then won't charge the battery.

Help?

matthewmcl (Forum Supporter)
matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) Reader
9/19/20 12:32 p.m.

Does it operate off the charger and just not charge?

CJ (He's Just an FS)
CJ (He's Just an FS) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/19/20 12:45 p.m.

In reply to Ranger50 :

If you have an OEM charger, use that.  Check the center charger pin is not bent.  You should get close to 20V DC (19.6V ?) if you go between the center pin and the plug shell with your multi-meter.  After that, I would check the power jack on the mother board.  If that is OK, then your mother board is likely bad.

My bride had an Inspiron of that vintage that was replaced by Dell under warranty for this problem.  First, they "repaired" it, indicating they had replaced internal cables.  Failed within 2 hours of being returned.  Had to fight with the Dell service, since in 20+ years of working on computers, I never saw  a cable spontaneously fail.  Dell finally replaced it with a refurbished system. The replacement system lasted less than a year and did the same thing.   Since it was now out of warranty, I pulled it apart.  The solder joints were OK on the DC jack and there were no other obvious issues.  Bought her a new system rather than deal with Dell.

I also had an Inspiron that was a couple of months newer than my bride's.  It did the same thing about three months out of warranty.  Same story as above - no physical internal issues.

Before I retired from IT, I had purchased thousands of Dell systems - I will never buy another.

If you are forced to purchase another system and have a Costco membership, buy it there.  They will double the warranty, so the normal 1 yr warranty becomes 2 yrs.  If you purchase with a Costco credit card, warranty doubles again to 4 yrs.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
9/19/20 2:07 p.m.

In reply to matthewmcl (Forum Supporter) :

Yes, exactly.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
9/19/20 2:10 p.m.

In reply to CJ (He's Just an FS) :

Well, expletive-expletive-expletive-expletive.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2Dhh2WENIwYSYN4BZC7lfsczWTfo9bfuDXR7HP3GHMWKPBK4SFomBNbmiZkErLdd