Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/6/19 2:40 p.m.

short version: I have concrete formwork in place for a slab that will not get poured until 6/17.  There is lots of rain predicted between now and then.  Is there anything I should do to prepare/protect whats there?

Long version: I signed a contract in mid January for a contractor to build me a 40 x 40 pre-fab steel garage on a concrete slab.  The building drawing took several weeks, the battle with the permit office took a couple of months and I had to shrink the building to 37.5 x 40, I had to tear down an existing carport structure to get the permit, Contractor has dragged his feet every step of the way.  The formwork was in place early last week but the inspection didn't happen until Monday of this week.  I was really hoping the GC would be on his game and have the concrete poured during this rare dry summer week in FL.  Surprise - he did not.  He says concrete plant can't give us anything until 6/17.  Maybe with any forethought or a proactive phone call, he could have scheduled it sooner for an earlier delivery?  So there is about 11 days between now and concrete delivery.  I'd bet we'll get rain every day.  Should I be worried about the rain screwing up the shaped dirt?  He says "nothing to worry about or do to protect it."  I'm really trying to play nice and get this thing built while staying on good terms, but I'm less than thrilled with his performance.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/6/19 2:46 p.m.

It already has plastic down. The biggest issue might be getting the water out of the footings before the concrete hits the ground. I wouldn't worry about it too much. 

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/6/19 2:51 p.m.
Toyman01 said:

It already has plastic down. The biggest issue might be getting the water out of the footings before the concrete hits the ground. I wouldn't worry about it too much. 

cool.  thanks for the reassurance.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/6/19 2:56 p.m.

If there is a ton of standing water, you will want to pump it out. But that's like 4+inches or more.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/6/19 2:57 p.m.

Having poured footers for building in active snow and rain, you should be fine. If it gets really bad, a cheapo sump pump to drain it the day of will work.

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/6/19 3:48 p.m.

I will rest a bit easier. Thanks fellas!

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
6/6/19 3:50 p.m.

40’ x almost 40’?

you the man

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/6/19 3:54 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

40’ x almost 40’?

you the man

Lol. I’ve been dreaming of it for years!  I suppose a few more weeks (months?) won’t kill me. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2ODfPgKCfX9wBpkAvtbFyDbTOS7KNjHK2MzCWwJuvkHm2ecDiDohvRHvwMsBLsvt