1 2 3 4 ... 7
barefootskater
barefootskater SuperDork
3/16/20 7:58 a.m.

4 tubs of ice cream. One for wife, rocky road for me, two cookies-n-cream for kiddos. Two carbide bits for making junk heads a little better. 

does 10 count as hoarding if it's deathwheels?

JmfnB
JmfnB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/16/20 8:12 a.m.

In reply to bluej :

Not yet. Need to pick it up. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/16/20 10:22 a.m.

I picked up an extra bottle of whiskey. Thought it was interesting at the store Saturday. Everyone was going normal Florida prep and buying food that didn't need electricity. The frozen food section was untouched from normal. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
3/16/20 10:31 a.m.

I confess...

I'll buy on the last day of the sale when brake cleaner is B1G1 because I might "run out" even with 2 cases sitting on the shelf. 

And I'll buy 6 cases at a time.

But for this "apocalypse", not a damn thing.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/16/20 10:34 a.m.

Bought an extra case of cat food.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
3/16/20 10:36 a.m.

Since our only true candidate for a SHTF EOTWAWKI vehicle is Bender and he's been neglected all winter, I've ordered front wheel bearings, king pin rebuild kits, front wheel studs, tie rod ends, a new drag link, front brake rotors and pads, transfer case output seals, and U joints for the front drive shaft.  My credit card is still smoking, but I may go ahead and do shocks all around too.  

Previous owner did rear wheel bearings, new shoes and one wheel cylinder, but didn't turn the the drums.  The drums both have pieces broken off around the lip, not in the shoe contact area, but still.  I'm thinking of upgrading to the 1 ton, 3" shoes and drum, with 1-1/8" wheel cylinders, currently have 2-1/2" shoes and drum, with 7/8" wheel cylinders.

That should keep me occupied for a bit, if we're forced to stay home.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/16/20 10:39 a.m.
stafford1500 said:

beer, you know just in case the stores close.

The local brewery closed their tasting room this weekend, so nothing on tap, but you could drive up and they would bring six packs out to your vehicle for 20% off, if you called ahead.

Which to me, sounds a lot like Buy Four, Get One Free!

FuzzWuzzy
FuzzWuzzy HalfDork
3/16/20 10:44 a.m.

I've bought extra food mainly because it's hurricane prep season on top of the fact if for some reason we need to self-quarantine, I want to be able to cook good food like I normally do. Bright side if neither happen, we have food we'd still eat.

I got an email yesterday from Domino's, though, saying you can now tell your delivery person to leave your food at a certain location and they'll go off on their merry way. I'm only assuming this was thought of so people can still order pizza while they hide out in their house/office with little to no infection worry for the deliverer.

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
3/16/20 10:48 a.m.

I went out specifically to buy an extra pound of coffee, which I usually get on my weekly grocery run.

If I'm going to be trapped at home I damn well better be caffeinated.

There were two legitimate fist fights at the local Sam's Club over TP and Ramen noodles. Skip the aisle and yell "World Star" (is that a thing anymore? Whatever, I'm old) while walking away. May as well have fun with it.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
3/16/20 10:56 a.m.

I always buy stuff thats on sale and stock up ,  been doing that for years and it cuts food cost by 50%

So  I do not need to stock up now , but a couple weeks ago it was  canned soup for 99c that was normally $2.29

And our local 99cent store  seems to get some good stuff like $6 pizza for 99 cents !

The hoarding will slow down when people feel secure that they can  last a week or 2 without going to the store

Stay safe

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
3/16/20 11:02 a.m.

I bought the Charmin 8million pack about a week earlier than I normally would. I have a deep freeze and enough protein to get through the next ice age. I did buy more cat food and cat treats. 

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve HalfDork
3/16/20 11:08 a.m.

Friday I bought 5 lbs of hamburger, a pack of chicken breasts and a pack of pork chops and plastic bags to freeze it all.

BECAUSE, we were down to our last chicken breast and I would have anyway. This is nothing out of the ordinary for us.

As far as hoarding, an extra 6 pack of diet cokes, I must confess, I was out of my mind with worry that I might run out of diet coke....

Also Lowes had a pallet of the paper towels we use so I got a six pack. If all the jerks keep buying toilet paper we may need those paper towels, so I guess i'm hoarding those too.

Dollar General store had police in the store when the last TP shipment came in, like armed police! Come on people! Really?

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/16/20 11:08 a.m.

I have:

4 rolls of TP

6 cans of ravioli

A box of Twinkies

A case of beer.

I'll be fine.

If it gets really bad, I'll break out the fishing pole and head down to the lake.

Curtis73
Curtis73 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/16/20 12:21 p.m.

What I'm I hoarding?  Airline stocks and Chinese Tech stocks.  If things get worse, I might grab some Amazon and Apple, too.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
3/16/20 12:32 p.m.
former520 said:

What have you horded up on?

Nothing.

wae
wae UltraDork
3/16/20 12:37 p.m.

I bought a ham that we didn't really need because it was half-price and made of ham.

Had nothing to do with the Kung Flu, though.  I would have bought that ham at that price any day.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/16/20 12:40 p.m.

Guilty/nostalgic/comedic food.

But one of each is plenty. This is a hoarding purchase confessional, but not hoarding in the sense of quantity. I did get a bunch of soup.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/16/20 12:46 p.m.

In reply to Ransom :

Is that only for single guys?

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
3/16/20 12:52 p.m.

More valuable than TP right now:

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/16/20 1:04 p.m.

Oh, I forgot the wife picked up another 50lb bag of dog food for the one dog we have left that eats 2 cups of food a day. It was $5 off normal price. Didn't buy it for the panic. 

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
3/16/20 1:39 p.m.

Magazines and ammo. Food wise we always try to keep a few weeks of food on hand. My wife's been doing this weird no carb/low carb diet so she might have to break that rule if we quarantine 

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/16/20 1:49 p.m.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/16/20 1:55 p.m.

A bit of extra food, and TP, which I've already had to draw on. I already had an enormous hoard of (largely ill-gotten) TV shows, movies and video games ready to go.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/16/20 1:55 p.m.

It isn't hoarding based on the epidemic, but given how low gasoline prices are at the minute, I might fill up all of the portable cans I have.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/16/20 2:10 p.m.

In reply to Woody :

Traditionally, I suspect so, but also for those of us whose wives won't touch the stuff. I rarely do, but actually discovered that I like Spam musubi when my wife took her sister to Maui for sis's 40th and I played eat-like-you're-there from home.

1 2 3 4 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3gY7zmUfXWHv1GTdBzMNnMJVhxblfg5nIiH0EgTTQMXodxVJ3OS0RTwOX4rKVgOL