1 2 3 4 5 6 7
bigbrainonbrad
bigbrainonbrad Reader
3/17/20 11:32 a.m.

I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. It won't go bad in my life time and will inevitably get slung down a range at some point if the COVID-19 / zombie apocalypse doesn't occur. I lucked out and cleared out the shelves of several of my local Wal-Marts at highly discounted prices when they decided they didn't want to sell handgun and modern sporting rifle cartridges anymore.

It can be convincingly argued that should this go on for any significant amount of time and it errs to the worse end of the spectrum, that people may begin to make bad or worse decisions. Crime in general begins to uptick in warmer weather and people will have more time on their hands. Do I think this will happen? Absolutely not, but see the first sentence of my post.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
3/17/20 11:56 a.m.
wae said:
thatsnowinnebago said:

I bought 10 bottles of apple juice (5 gal) and 4 cans of concentrate, making myself look like a very specific, very weird hoarder. In my defense, I'm stuck at home for the next two weeks so I figure I might as well brew some hard cider. I've been meaning to for a while anyway. 

Tell me more!

I'll jump in- I buy martinellis, both because it's good quality and because you can get it in a plastic gallon jug. Get a sachet of dry champagne yeast, drop it in. Put the lid back on. Cool dry place for a week or so. Then refrigerate.
Profit. Tastes like apply champagne. Pleasantly dry. With the lid on it self carbonates as it ferments. 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/17/20 1:34 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

Serious Q to and about people hording ammo.  Seriously why?  Do people really think this is going to bring down the government and society so we need to wall ourselves in and shoot intruders?  I don't get it.  The TP hoarders will have a years supply of TP, how many years supply of ammo are people buying?

Shooting 100 rounds of ammunition in a single session isn't uncommon at all. For a training class, that's usually the minimum that individuals are told to bring. 

To somebody outside of the hobby, having 2500 rounds of ammunition on hand probably seems excessive. Now, if you practice every week (and you ought to), shooting 50 rounds per gun per session is more likely. That's still 2600 rounds per year. Buying that all at once, during a sale of some kind, is usually the most economical way to purchase it.

Most people don't practice that often.

ChrisLS8
ChrisLS8 Reader
3/17/20 1:43 p.m.

In reply to SnowMongoose :

Due to the fact I go to the gym, prepping to get back into bodybuilding shows  and partly due to lifestyle choices I consume a massive amount of chicken during a week. I always always always have about 20-30 lbs in my freezer as I will eat a pound a day of just the chicken, not including the other foods, eggs, rice, veggies and protein shakes.

I ended up buying twice as much as usual but it won't be wasted one bit. Hell when Costco drops the 6lb bags of ON protein from 55 to 35 I usually buy about 6-8 of em

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin SuperDork
3/17/20 1:50 p.m.

I keep buying stuff no one else wants, I've got a couple of boxes of my popcorn of choice and Clif bars in the trunk because I'm never sure when I might get mandatoried at work.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
3/17/20 3:51 p.m.

Last Thursday morning, (apparently right before the panic hit my area), I did my perishables and “oops I forgot I need that” shopping trip.  I’ll admit to grabbing a 6 pack of TP there, even though I already had our usual stock at home of 2 6 packs.  I try to have at least two weeks of non-perishable food at home, and make a perishables run once a week, so I’m due to go back out in a couple of days.

My biggest concern is fluid for my cat.  I have most of a bag right now, and a full bag lasts us 20 days.  I thought about asking for 2 when I stopped in to the vet the last time, but figured there were others out there who were going to need it, and I suspect the insane hoarding will be over in the next week or so.

slowbird
slowbird Dork
3/17/20 4:32 p.m.

I stocked up on the stuff that Walmart still had left. Most soup was gone so I bought two cans of chili and 4 cans of vienna sausages (even in a crisis I'm the only fool who will eat those apparently) the cheese section was a mess so I bought some combo packs of cheese and meat sticks (again I'm a doof that eats garbage food) and I stocked up on acrylic paint markers from the art section b/c they're pretty convenient for model car detail painting.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/17/20 4:34 p.m.
Brett_Murphy said:
Adrian_Thompson said:

Serious Q to and about people hording ammo.  Seriously why?  Do people really think this is going to bring down the government and society so we need to wall ourselves in and shoot intruders?  I don't get it.  The TP hoarders will have a years supply of TP, how many years supply of ammo are people buying?

Shooting 100 rounds of ammunition in a single session isn't uncommon at all. For a training class, that's usually the minimum that individuals are told to bring. 

To somebody outside of the hobby, having 2500 rounds of ammunition on hand probably seems excessive. Now, if you practice every week (and you ought to), shooting 50 rounds per gun per session is more likely. That's still 2600 rounds per year. Buying that all at once, during a sale of some kind, is usually the most economical way to purchase it.

This

Also, I laugh when you see news articles that say something like "they found 3 guns and nearly a 100 rounds of ammo" and act like that's a lot.

Who owns guns and doesn't have at least 100 rounds for every gun, let alone for 3?

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/17/20 4:46 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

The only gun I own that I don't have several hundred rounds for is a little .25 automatic, because .25 is a really bizarre caliber that I can't find in stores. It's also pushing 100 years old at this point and I'd be kinda scared to use it. As far as I know it's never been fired. 

Sparkydog
Sparkydog HalfDork
3/17/20 5:19 p.m.

Early  Saturday mornings are my traditional time to shop for groceries. Because less people and generally less weird people. This past Saturday I wanted to buy the normal amounts of the normal things I buy for my normal life. One of the items on my normal shopping list was 2 jars of a particular brand of green olives because I like my martinis a certain way. When I got to the condiments section I was confronted with gaps on the shelves. When I got to the olive section I was confronted with most of the olives were gone. Huh, didn't realize that olives were a survival food and/or a zombie repellant. And then I saw that there were only 2 jars left of "my" martini olives. So I took the last 2 jars of a specific brand of olives. Which is what I would have done on any Saturday during the previous 2 years. But they were definitely the last 2 jars that day. I am gloating as I type this.

bigbrainonbrad
bigbrainonbrad Reader
3/17/20 5:25 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

The news would typically describe the three guns as an arsenal and a horde of ammunition.

100 rounds is typically what I have on hand for single shots or bolt actions, but only a hundred rounds for a semi auto or revolver would leave me feeling unprepared.  Before I got into shooting I couldn't imagine blowing through a brick of 22 in a day but now that doesn't actually seem like very much.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
3/17/20 5:34 p.m.

Wait, I do have a confession. I bought a E36 M3load of mandarian orange fruit cups. Not a panic or anything, I just really like fruit cups and they were cheap. 

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/17/20 6:01 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson :

My brother is a schoolteacher and is likely to be out of school for the remainder of the year.  That's going to give us plenty of time for trap shooting so we each picked up a couple cases of shells to wear out our shoulders.  

dxman92
dxman92 HalfDork
3/17/20 6:26 p.m.

Extra tp, paper towels, Clorox wipes, lots of Chef Boyardee, Turkey Bologna, microwavable burritos..

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
3/17/20 7:35 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

I already hoard ammo by most standards but yes times like this make me want more. I'm an avid hunter and a ccw holder so I practice often. It's nothing for me and my wife to kill 200-300 rounds in a day of shooting. If they raid my house it would certainly make the news in certain environments 

Antihero
3/17/20 9:44 p.m.
RevRico said:

In reply to Antihero :

The only gun I own that I don't have several hundred rounds for is a little .25 automatic, because .25 is a really bizarre caliber that I can't find in stores. It's also pushing 100 years old at this point and I'd be kinda scared to use it. As far as I know it's never been fired. 

I stopped at a gun shop a few days ago and they hilariously had a bunch of 25acp and other odd rounds ( saw 5 boxes of 400 corbon even) probably 10 boxes if it.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
3/17/20 9:44 p.m.

laugh

Seriously though, I can find something to appreciate about every firearm, just like a lot of us here can with cars.  If you have a car hobby you need fuel to run them.  If you have a firearm hobby you need ammo to shoot them.  I (like several others) remember the ammo drought of not that long ago.  With the recent memory of the empty shelves at all the ammo suppliers, still fresh, it's hard not to want to keep some extra on hand.

I've got a fairly comfortable supply of every caliber I own, some more than I'll use, some I could still use more of.

Some of that stuff I felt like I could use more of, I decided to go ahead and buy, while I can, because, well I can.  I'm fairly sure, 6 months from now, the shelves will all be stocked with ammo again, but in the mean time I don't have to worry.

So, in addition to the 300x .357 Mag I mentioned earlier.  Tonight I ordered 300x .45 ACP and 200x .380 ACP.

I was down to my last 100 rounds of .45, and it'd be a tragedy if I couldn't grab the 1911 to protect my toilet paper. cheeky

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
3/17/20 10:03 p.m.

I may have went overboard on magazines for firearms though. How many magazines is too many? 

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
3/18/20 7:06 a.m.
dropstep said:

I may have went overboard on magazines for firearms though. How many magazines is too many? 

Whatever you think is too many.  I try to have at least 4 for every firearm, but I have more than that for most, and fewer than that for a some.

I've got a glut of AR, CETME/G3, & AK mags, a bunch of Garand en bloc clips too, but only 2x for my MkIV Ruger and only 1x for my Marlin 995. 

I only have 4x FAL mags, and noticed DSA has polymer metric mags now, I'm probably going to get a couple to try out.

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
3/18/20 8:17 a.m.
Antihero said:
Brett_Murphy said:
Adrian_Thompson said:

This

Also, I laugh when you see news articles that say something like "they found 3 guns and nearly a 100 rounds of ammo" and act like that's a lot.

Who owns guns and doesn't have at least 100 rounds for every gun, let alone for 3?

I'm actually rummaging around in the ammo shelf next to my safe at the moment while I'm setting up my desk to work from home.

There appears to be:

• 1000 rounds of 7.62x51
  • 1000 rounds of.45 acp,
  • 1100 rounds of .22LR
  • 300 rounds of 7.62x54R
  • 50 rounds of 5.56 NATO
  • Edit: Found a case of 20ga #8 bird shot and 2 boxes of #2 buck. Damn my gun room is messy.

I'm actually a bit light compared to what I shoot every year but I'd be the worst person ever if the news showed up. Plus I'm pretty sure there's a couple of 20 round mags kicking around my safe.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
3/18/20 9:13 a.m.

In reply to The0retical :

Honest Q.  How long will that last you?

Antihero
3/18/20 9:24 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

Honest Q.  How long will that last you?

In what situation?

That's probably 3-7 decent shooting sessions for some.

I mean.....I've burned thru more than a brick of 22 myself in an afternoon a few times

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
3/18/20 10:25 a.m.

That's probably 2 years with of ammo depending if I get time to go hunting or if any pest animals show up this year.

I'll probably be doing quail, pheasant, and dove this year with the shotgun and almost certainly deer with the .308.

I don't shoot as much as I used to. 5 or 6 years ago that would have been 2 to 3 months.

barefootskater
barefootskater SuperDork
3/19/20 11:43 a.m.

Not really panic hoarding, but I asked my dad and he said "carburetors"

ChrisLS8
ChrisLS8 Reader
3/19/20 11:52 a.m.

I take it you aren't much of a pistol guy considering the lack of 9mm and .38. ironically I only have one rifle but 4-9mms and some other misc pistols

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
o6ZLT9FrIf4Ey0b1LKnGr2wba8D1Nm4oFXJ3va3Y1de9e2OD0JvSEswM7i1txWoH