gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
11/14/16 1:31 p.m.

I'm thinking about putting up a detached garage. I'm thinking in the neighborhood of 40'x24' with a ceiling high enough for a two post. Stick built, conrete floor, one big or two small overhead doors. If I hired out the concrete work and did the rest myself roughly what kind of money would I be looking at.

itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/14/16 1:36 p.m.

Need a lot more than that to go on. Are you wanting a clear span in both directions? What about power and air conditioning/heat? Insulated walls and roof? Finished inside or exposed studs/ insulation? What are the exterior materials? Metal? Masonry? Painted siding? How about the roof... Asphalt shingles or metal panels? And what about doors? 1 big? 2 (or more) small?

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
11/14/16 1:52 p.m.

I did that (hired out concrete, did most of the rest myself) and spent around $20k for a 24x30 back in 2001 or so. I'm going to guess with inflation and the larger size you'd be close to $30k for a basic build. Finishing the inside more than I did (I kept bare studs, etc) would add more. Keep in mind there are a ton of variables there but that's my semi-educated guess.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
11/14/16 1:58 p.m.

Lets say vynil siding. Metal roof. Two 10x8 doors. No a.c. I'll figure heat out later. Insulated. Well lit and ample outlets. I don't know what you mean by clear spans in both directions.

I was going to build a new shed next spring to get stuff out of the attached garage, but I thought, well maybe build this hypothetical shop instead and move my tools out there. I was considering selling my mustang and wondering how close that would come to paying for the building.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
11/14/16 2:10 p.m.

$40k

That's what I was told it would cost to build my garage today, and you are describing what I have.

Enyar
Enyar Dork
11/14/16 2:15 p.m.

Considering the quotes I've been getting to get a covered lanai, your project should be around $600k.

On a more serious level, it appears this kind of work varies greatly by region. A $25k patio here in Tampa may be $10k in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/14/16 6:05 p.m.

You are describing my shop. Cost me $36,000 10 years ago.

Your frost line is lower, so the foundation will cost you more. I'd put it at $50 per SF

YMMV. A LOT.

If I had it to do again, I would not stick build it. I would put up a metal building. Much cheaper. At least in the South.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/14/16 6:06 p.m.

I think this thread has already proved that prices vary.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
11/15/16 1:19 p.m.

Wow, these are coming in higher than i expected. It looks like the mustang is definitely not buying me a garage. I would love to put the money into a hoist but my ceilings are too low in the attached garage.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
11/15/16 4:44 p.m.

If you do the barn-raising bit, a 2x 4 box on full concrete footings and a floor and gass and electric run from the source will be in the 30k range when all said and signed off by the inspector. 40 in my case cause I did not do any building

From there I did additional wiring and lighting spray foam insulation inner sheathing in OSB Paint Heat

Grand total was around 55k. Subtract 30% because not Canada.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/15/16 4:47 p.m.

Prices are very region dependant.

Over 40k would be a good guess

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
11/15/16 4:56 p.m.

We did a 28x28 stick built with 2 doors matching what you describe except the size of the pad for $12k all DIY except the pad itself.

That included lumber, trusses, siding, shingles doors, windows, delivery, nails/screws, etc...etc.. etc.

That did not include the wiring, plumbing, heating, insulation and door openers which were done over last winter as "Phase II". Making it 50% larger would not have been significantly more expensive - just straight materials. The pad excavating and pour probably being the biggest single cost differentiation provided no additional doors got added. For a $20k DIY with 2 semi-skilled free laborers for a week I could easily build a no-frills framework for a dream garagemahal of your dimensions here in rural PA, insulated and wired for 220 (not including digging the trench from wherever the power comes from unless you have a tractor with a bucket).

Paying someone else to do it for you I'd expect you to have to nearly double that.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/15/16 5:04 p.m.

In reply to Huckleberry:

Your math is weird.

50% bigger would have been $18,000 in materials.

PLUS the foundation, concrete, and labor for the concrete work. PLUS the electric and insulation.

Your $20K is looking more like $30K.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/15/16 6:02 p.m.

I did a 1000 sqft with 10' walls 1/2 room in attic trusses, 1/2 scissor trusses with electrical, concrete and 8 tip out windows with 1 18*9 insulated garage door with OSB interior for 30k in materials. This was in 2013 in Central Il

STM317
STM317 HalfDork
11/16/16 5:15 a.m.

I'm in the preliminary planning stages of a similar path. The final product will likely be 30X50, concrete floor, all metal, 3 single car doors down one side, and a 4th on one end. 1 man door with a window or 2 possible. I'm budgeting $35-40k based on similar builds in my area. Probably the high end of that budget since some fill will need to be brought in and some grading/drainage work will be required too.

tr8todd
tr8todd Dork
11/16/16 6:21 a.m.

My buddy had a 32X48 metal pole building with some insulation delivered and installed on his slab for just over 25K. Site work, slab and conduit for electric later was close to another 10K. That was 5 years ago and he still can't afford to run electric out there. The building came from some place in Mn if I remember correctly. Its nice because its is wide open inside and has some serious pressure treated posts holding it up. His is also rated for a Massachusetts snow load and since he is near the coast, it also has to meet some serious wind ratings. Can't remember the actual code, but its somewhere above 110 mph wind loads. If I had to guess it would be 130, the same as the roof shingle ratings here.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
11/16/16 6:39 a.m.
SVreX wrote: In reply to Huckleberry: Your math is weird. 50% bigger would have been $18,000 in materials. PLUS the foundation, concrete, and labor for the concrete work. PLUS the electric and insulation. Your $20K is looking more like $30K.

Not really. We are not a business trying to make money. Material cost is not linear to sq ft. The cost for delivery of concrete and materials doesn't change with how much you order and especially for the concrete is a large sum. IIRC it was 800 to roll the truck and then x/yd so as long as 1 truck does the job it's chump change to pour more.

Stick materials are cheap. We built the garage using free skilled labor (well, food and beer) and the size was only really limited by the location. We could easily have gone bigger for a pile of sticks and better planning (my father did not want us cutting oak trees down on his property).

50% larger is not 1/3 more money unless labor is involved or you start adding features like doors, Windows, etc. Wiring and plumbing don't change unless you want more. Spray insulation is fixed to the next biggest size by sq ft. so you throw away whatever you don't use anyway up to the next bottle. So... we are talking a truss or two, some 2xXs, sheet, shingles, a few extra yards of concrete and TIME.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/16/16 10:09 a.m.

Your math excluded the concrete. Now you are adding it back. 50% more roof is 50% more roof, no matter how you slice it.

Yes, I understand volume savings. But a 40x24 garage can't be built for $12K. Even for a DIYer

I am not arguing dollars with you. I am asking you to communicate clearly. You said you did a 28x28 for $12K, excluding the pad. You then said making it 50% larger would not have been significantly more expensive. That's just not true.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
11/16/16 10:12 a.m.

Gonna have to agree with Sv on this one man. 50% bigger is going to be a lot more. Not twice as much maybe but it's not going to be "chump change."

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/16/16 10:14 a.m.

BTW, every area I have worked in (14 different states) has never had a base rate of $800 to roll the truck plus a per yard for concrete. Concrete companies are typically the opposite- they charge a fixed rate per yard which includes the delivery, but add an upcharge for a small load.

Concrete is $100- 120 per yard in most areas of the country right now. A garage is not a small job, so there will be no upcharge. If you use 2 full trucks, then need 1 additional yard on a 3rd truck, it's the same price per yard. There is no upcharge because you failed to finish the job in 2 trucks and they had to roll another one.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/17/16 4:50 p.m.
SVreX wrote: BTW, every area I have worked in (14 different states) has never had a base rate of $800 to roll the truck plus a per yard for concrete. Concrete companies are typically the opposite- they charge a fixed rate per yard which includes the delivery, but add an upcharge for a small load. Concrete is $100- 120 per yard in most areas of the country right now. A garage is not a small job, so there will be no upcharge. If you use 2 full trucks, then need 1 additional yard on a 3rd truck, it's the same price per yard. There is no upcharge because you failed to finish the job in 2 trucks and they had to roll another one.

Same here although it's about $130 a yard here for some mixes. Short yard premiums start at below 4 yards

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/17/16 7:49 p.m.

This thread makes me glad I am buying a house with a large existing garage.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock UltimaDork
11/17/16 7:58 p.m.
EvanB wrote: This thread makes me glad I am buying a house with a large existing garage.

This thread makes me realize that I'm never going to have a garage.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yLVIXsSxHWPRpX6uSj7YEBU2KwJzpsmc4mEfWDt2ktzAo0q6SeOYrr9ftE8SsIdt