GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand None
5/14/08 8:18 a.m.

Obvious problem with the profile - it doesn't save your gender. I don't want to be a nullo dammit! :P

One security issue with the profile - if anyone posts an email address in there, as it encourages you to in the case of hotmail/msn addresses, a set of GRM profiles would be free food to spammers, and we don't want to attract those varmints over here by leaving free food around :P Also, just curious as to how the map works for addresses outside North America? I entered a country, city and even a zip code and I didn't show up. If it can't work with this info perhaps a coordinates field could be useful. I see a PR address works, and some Canadian addresses are working, so I guess you need to enter a state or province.

Oh and the left bar takes up way too much space :P and as you can see we're short a few smileys...and I can't preview so here goes my first post on the new board!

Hey I can edit! Nice! But the avatars are positively tiny. Maybe put a dimension limit on them and show them in full size like the old board?

Oh also the "Let's see 'em" link in the profile to view all posts shows an empty list.

One last question - will the posts from the old board be copied across when the migration to the new site is done? Just wondering if I'll need to recreate my rides threads.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/14/08 8:34 a.m.

Lemme look at the gender thing.

Email addresses... by design, the new site (and board) do not make your email address available anywhere. They're not even in the source code. I don't know of any other forum software out there that can make that claim. Anyways, I've done all I can to protect 'em -- and a lot more than most sites do. But people will still post their email, never thinking about all the spambots out there just waiting to harvest them. In general, web boards are gold to spammers. Anyways, I never thought about people posting their email address as their AIM account name or something. I may just take that section out altogether -- I think it's just clutter, really, and if I want to chat with someone, I'll give 'em the account name. Or I'll add a warning. Something.

Maps: Maps run through Google Maps, and take the city and state to get the geocode data for the user. If it can find a valid geocode for whatever is in the city and state fields and if Google maps can find the geocode, it puts you on the map. In practical terms, that means that people that put "State of confusion" in are unlikely to be found, and folks outside the US and Canada are going to be iffy -- a limitation of the geocoding service. However, if anyone isn't on the map and would like to be, and is willing to put in the legwork to find a geocode for their location, I'll add it in manually.

Nav bar is covered elsewhere. Short version... it is what it is for a lot of reasons, and is highly unlikely to change. You'll get used to it.

Preview is on The List. Smileys too, maybe.

Avatars show up full size in your profile. They're smaller here to (a) stay on the grid, (b) maximize post area and (c) cut load times.

"let's see 'em" link... that one's on The List.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/14/08 8:40 a.m.
Bax said:Lemme look at the gender thing.

ewww... manstump.

Bax said:Preview is on The List. Smileys too, maybe. Avatars show up full size in your profile. They're smaller here to (a) stay on the grid, (b) maximize post area and (c) cut load times. "let's see 'em" link... that one's on The List.

Preview -Yes Smiley - Teh ghey Avatars - Are fine "Lemme see yo grille" - Yo yo grille, yo yo yoa grille.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua New Reader
5/14/08 9:02 a.m.

Could you redo the formatting of the post area to take advantage of the dead space below the Avatar? It would lead to a rather large blocky area where our name is, but it might be worth it to remedy the small text, off to the right, cramped feeling I get here. ( I catch myself rolling my chair to the right while on this board)

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/14/08 9:10 a.m.

On that last post of mine I typed Preview - Yes (pushed enter) Smiley - teh ghey (pushed enter) etc. I assume if there is any code in the box you have to signal a paragraph break?

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/14/08 9:17 a.m.

I think you're asking about a line break as opposed to a paragaph break.

If you want a single line break, put two spaces at the end of the line
That's a thing built into the markdown formatting, and if I figure out a more straightforward way of dealing with line breaks (as opposed to paragraphs, which are pretty intuitive) you can bet I'll be putting it in. As a side note that also affects bulleted lists.. to create them, put a - or * with a space after it (creating a plain-text bulleted list) and it'll make the bulleted list... but only if you put the two spaces to show it the end of each list item and line break. Weird, I know.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua Dork
5/14/08 9:22 a.m.

Like this :?:

• List item number 1
  • List Item number 2
  • List Item number 3
MrJoshua
MrJoshua Dork
5/14/08 9:22 a.m.

Wohoo-it worked!

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)