johndej
johndej HalfDork
4/23/19 1:05 p.m.

Hrmmm... I've seen them do this in the past and known folks to have a problem people touching their car. Getting little tick marks all over your tires every time you park downtown is also an annoyance.. Never thought about it going to court.

"The court found that chalking is indeed a "search" for purposes of the Fourth Amendment, because government officials physically trespass upon a constitutionally protected area to obtain information."

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/23/716248823/court-says-using-chalk-on-tires-for-parking-enforcement-violates-constitution

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/23/19 1:33 p.m.

I never knew that was a thing.  I have heard about parking meters with sensors that know if you don't move. That's crazy.

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
4/23/19 1:34 p.m.

That's an interesting interpretation of the 4th, but it makes sense if you look at the mentioned GPS precedent.

I guess the solution is to undertake the capital expense of installing parking meters rather than just a couple signs?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/23/19 1:58 p.m.

Take a picture, time stamped reading of the license plate, security camera footage, etc, the law professor said that side steps all of this.

Or the lady could just pay for her parking. 

pheller
pheller UltimaDork
4/23/19 2:04 p.m.

Now police departments and municipal parking authorities will have a reason to run your plate for all the infractions you owe them, warrants for your arrest, etc. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia HalfDork
4/23/19 2:07 p.m.

Too much $$$$ involved , 

This is a lower court , in a week or 2 it will be challenged by the city which will take a few years.....

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
4/23/19 3:08 p.m.

Horsefeathers!

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/23/19 3:59 p.m.

Our local parking authority has already been driving around with cameras and plate scanners for the better part of the last decade. This ruling just means you'll see more municipalities ponying up...

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
4/23/19 4:21 p.m.
pointofdeparture said:

Our local parking authority has already been driving around with cameras and plate scanners for the better part of the last decade. This ruling just means you'll see more municipalities ponying up...

That'll be a nasty unintended consequence.

I'd rather deal with the chalk.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/23/19 4:50 p.m.
z31maniac said:

Take a picture, time stamped reading of the license plate, security camera footage, etc, the law professor said that side steps all of this.

Or the lady could just pay for her parking. 

Doing that for thousands of cars in various locations would make figuring out which car has not moved very labor intensive.  I would imagine they would need something that noted the approximate location (GPS) along with a plate number and would highlight potential violators when they where re-scanned, in which case they would likely have to review a picture taken (to make sure it didn't just move to the next spot).

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
4/23/19 5:56 p.m.
pinchvalve said:

I never knew that was a thing.

It used to be done all the time, but I haven't heard of any place chalking the tires since the 1960s.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
4/23/19 6:05 p.m.
The0retical said:
pointofdeparture said:

Agreed, but does anyone think they’re not already doing that anyway?

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
4/23/19 7:58 p.m.
poopshovel again said:
The0retical said:
pointofdeparture said:

Agreed, but does anyone think they’re not already doing that anyway?

Oh it's happening anyway. I just don't want to encourage further proliferation through psudo-legitimization.

There's a number of challenges to the use of LPR's currently winding their way through the courts. If they are legitimized for this purpose that's going to become the go to exuse for their use.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yTn10rWOXnEuRFlOPsVRj578oW41cFmt0uGgrNKhSdsOdsSYeW2m0BwNK6EvOgHw