1 2 3 4
Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/7/19 8:53 p.m.
glueguy said:

Come to think of it, I haven’t seen a gun rack in a truck since GA in the late 80’s. Is this still a thing in certain parts of the country? Or did extended cabs make it a pain to reach and limit their use?

I still see them from time to time out in the country. Not often though. Usually a old man driving a old truck during deer season. 

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
6/7/19 11:04 p.m.

Senior pranks used to be a thing, not sure if they still are.

Around '97 or '98 some kids in my high school, a year older than me, stole a starter pistol from the track coach's office.  Two really good friends staged a fight right after their class started, yelling, shoving each other around, convincing fake punches, teacher's freaking out, then one pulls the starter pistol, an accomplice that's in on the prank then turns the lights out, and kid with the starter pistol pops off a few rounds.

Teacher was beside herself, the students that weren't in on it were freaking out.

When the dust settled, the two "fighters," got like a week of detention, but still graduated.

If they'd tried that today, they'd at least be expelled, likely in juvenile detention, and at least make the regional news, if not national.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
6/8/19 6:35 a.m.

The Ivy League nude posture photos were taken in the 1940s through the 1970s of all incoming freshmen at certain Ivy League and Seven Sisters colleges (as well as Swarthmore), ostensibly to gauge the rate and severity of ricketsscoliosis, and lordosis in the population. The photos are simple black and white images of each individual standing upright from front, back and side perspectives.[1][2] Harvard previously had its own such program from the 1880s to the 1940s.[2] The larger project was run by William Herbert Sheldon and Earnest Albert Hooton, who may have been using the data to support their theory on body types and social hierarchy. What remained of the images were transferred to the Smithsonian and most were destroyed between 1995 and 2001.[1][3]

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/8/19 6:58 a.m.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
6/8/19 8:31 a.m.

In 1989 I was working on a project where we had to build a large stone wall (large stones, like 2,000-6,000 lbs) my job was to wrap a big strap around each boulder and make sure it didn’t slip as the crane operator took up the slack.   Then I rode the giant rocks across the space from where they had been dumped to the wall.

18 years old wearing jorts, tank top, and sneakers.  No hard hat, gloves, harness, or boots.  OSHA would have had kittens.

We had beer with lunch sometimes too.  The diner across from the site didn’t seem to care as long as we had money.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/8/19 8:33 a.m.
russde said:
David S. Wallens said:

Lawn darts. 

Loved those!

Of course, we also used to have bb gun fights too...

I was poor. We used rocks. 

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
6/8/19 8:46 a.m.

johndej
johndej HalfDork
6/8/19 9:09 a.m.

Our high school still had a rifle (pellet) team in 2004 that you could join as part of the ROTC program. We had a range in the space behind the bleachers in the gym that was caged in and the guns were kept in a safe in the ROTC locker room.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/8/19 10:10 a.m.
02Pilot said:
Slippery said:

Spending 30’ in the cockpit of a 747 halfway through a trip. 

Seriously. I spent time in airliner cockpits in flight on a number of occasions. When my father had top Lufthansa frequent flyer status back in the 1990s they had a program where he could sit in the cockpit for the entire flight, including take-off and landing.

Oh, and I also drove an Amtrak train heading for Montreal for a little while once. Speed control, dead-man's pedal, the whole deal. I was maybe 7 or 8.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeroflot_Flight_593

frenchyd
frenchyd UberDork
6/8/19 11:06 a.m.
frenchyd said:

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

I raced hobby stocks with Jeans, a T shirt and a football helmet with the face bar removed 

My first race car was a straight 8 Buick we put a cut up swing set in as a roll bar.  

My second race car was a relatively new 1955 Chevy sedan with a 55 Cadillac motor connected to a LaSalle gearbox.  Same swing set rollbar though. 

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
6/8/19 11:29 a.m.

Now we go way back.

Hi-Top boots with a jack knife in the side pocket.

Driving a team of horses pulling a wagon load of hay.

Watching granma make sausages.

Getting stuck in the mud on the road to Ganpa's farm.

Living on a farm without electricity.

And then seeing it all change.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/8/19 11:30 a.m.

Jump seats!!

Knurled.
6/8/19 12:01 p.m.
pinchvalve said:

There's a lot of things I assumed we would never see again, but signs are pointing to many of them returning in the current political environment.  Hopefully, laying on the back shelf of the car as a kid won't be among them. While fun and comfortable, it was certainly not safe! 

I am also flabbergasted that cocaine and similar items used in "medicines" from long ago.  Teething pain?  

Holy crap! 

Cocaine is still in use, btw.  It is used as a topical or localanaesthetic for certain things.  In the article, or journal, that I still remember, a piece of gauze was treated with it and the gauze wadded up in the patient's nostril (this was in the 1980s)

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/8/19 2:18 p.m.

I hope that I'm wrong:

Intellectual curiosity, love of learning.

Forming opinions based on evidence, including being able to change your mind as new evidence emerges.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
6/8/19 3:09 p.m.
iceracer said:

Driving a team of horses pulling a wagon load of hay.

When I was a kid I did a little summer farm hand work for my friend's dad, who didn't own a tractor - he did all his farming with Belgian horses.   That was in the 1960s and they had electricity and a TV and indoor plumbing and all of that, he was just old fashioned when it came to farming.  smiley

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
6/8/19 4:12 p.m.

Hand crank satellite dish.

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
6/8/19 9:27 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

My grandfather always used his Percherons to haul hay to the cattle in the winter.

Apparently they're easier to start than a Volvo tractor at -30c

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/8/19 10:03 p.m.

I've driven a lot more horses than I could begin to count, but I have never driven a team. I've always wanted to.

I turned down an offer to drive a team of cross country driving horses last year. They were a nationally competitive team, worth big dollars. 

The owner told me that I could drive her team, and then showed me a video and explained what she had.

No thanks, I don't think I should do a lap in your Enzo.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/9/19 5:28 a.m.

5 or 6 years ago I helped clean out a friend’s aunt’s house after she passed away. She has no bathroom in her house, though she did have running water for her sink, and had only had a furnace installed - in place of the original stove, no ductwork - in the previous ~20 years. 

Knurled.
6/9/19 5:41 a.m.
Floating Doc said:

I hope that I'm wrong:

Intellectual curiosity, love of learning.

Forming opinions based on evidence, including being able to change your mind as new evidence emerges.

You are wrong...  I've met some teens and young adults that blow that stereotype out of the water.

I think what we are seeing is the social media explosion giving everyone a way to widely broadcast their voice is just Sturgeon's Law as applied to people.  The incurious have always been there, it's just that it used to be that they quietly went about their lives while you mainly heard from the other 10%.  Now, we can see their tweets to the National Weather Service blaming tornadoes on the doppler radar, and these tweets go viral.

Knurled.
6/9/19 5:46 a.m.

.... there's a sentence in there that needs to be taken out and shot.  But I don't feel like fixing it, so I'm going to leave it up there as a mark of shame.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
6/9/19 7:18 a.m.

My daughter is 8.

When I was 7, I rode my bike 2-3 miles to school on busy roads with no sidewalks, and you’d get the E36 M3 kicked out of you for wearing a helmet.

In the summer, the neighbor kids and I left the house at sunrise and came home at dinner time. We’d play “war” with BB guns, booby-traps, trip-wires, etc. If you were “captured” you’d get ziptied to a tree next to the river full of alligators till the game was over.

I can’t even fathom sending my kid out the door and saying “be back by dark!”

Knurled.
6/9/19 7:26 a.m.

In reply to poopshovel again :

That is because you remember the kind of things you did as a kid their age.

Can you IMAGINE the kind of E36 M3 your parents did??

--

I'm boring.  I do car stuff, I enjoy a good bourbon or vodka, that's pretty much it.  Used to smoke but quit.  I ain't against cannabis in the slightest but I never tried it and never really plan to either.  One day, my youngest cousin was trying to get a rise out of me for some reason or another (we've had this kind of relationship since she was around 3, she's 32 now) and said "You know your MOM smoked a lot of pot!"  I just said, "It was the 70s, if she was a teenager in the 70s and DIDN'T smoke pot then I'd be kind of disappointed"

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
6/9/19 7:29 a.m.

I'm in my helicopter right now. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
6/9/19 7:40 a.m.
Knurled. said:

Can you IMAGINE the kind of E36 M3 your parents did??

My dad was born in 1935 and his childhood years was 1940-1950 or so? He really related to "The Christmas Story" movie as he felt that was his childhood era.  

He used to brag he would break mercury thermometers and play with mercury all the time - he said you could use mercury to shine up "silver" dimes.  

He smoked a lot of cigars and lived to almost 82 years of age - who's going to argue?

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hRWvJ86IVtG4De27s90tWB5VHvvkZXP2tLWE5pfaOwSp0ZVZxerE6slJ3Rj8ipBv