1 2 3 4
G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
6/9/19 2:43 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

My high school had a legit smoking area for students - any age could puff away - nobody carded.  

Yeah, we had that at my old high school in BC as recently as 2017.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/9/19 4:19 p.m.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/9/19 7:24 p.m.

We used to have paintball wars before it was a thing. We just used pellet guns and motorcycle helmets. They don't actually hurt much more than a paintball at close range.

My dad had a flatdeck International with a three person bench seat. If we had to go to town in the truck he would put a couple hay bales on the deck as sides and tell us to sit down. When I was older me and my sister would stand and hold onto the headache rack on the highway. Bugs in the teeth. 

I learned to dynamite beaver dams at about 12 or 13. It was my Saturday job on the farm. 

I was last yardsticked at school in 1980 or so. It was usually a choice between that or detention and I always chose the yardstick. Pretty sure it wasn't legal by then because the teacher would do it in the boys washroom out of sight. If he broke the yardstick we had to wait while he got another one. 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/9/19 7:43 p.m.
bearmtnmartin said:

My grade seven to nine gym teacher screwed at least four or the girls in my class. They would boast about getting it and us boys were just jealous and resentful. He made no secret of it. He would be grabbing ass and groping them all the time. No repercussions at all.

I feel a little sick. If he's still alive, I hope prison is in his future.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/9/19 8:32 p.m.
Knurled. said:
Floating Doc said:

I hope that I'm wrong:

Intellectual curiosity, love of learning.

Forming opinions based on evidence, including being able to change your mind as new evidence emerges.

You are wrong...  I've met some teens and young adults that blow that stereotype out of the water.

I think what we are seeing is the social media explosion giving everyone a way to widely broadcast their voice is just Sturgeon's Law as applied to people.  The incurious have always been there, it's just that it used to be that they quietly went about their lives while you mainly heard from the other 10%.  Now, we can see their tweets to the National Weather Service blaming tornadoes on the doppler radar, and these tweets go viral.

I met one of the new tenants where I rent garage space.  He's in his very early 20s and he was starting up his homemade forge.  He saw some TV shows about it and thought it looked fun  so he went and made the equipment to do it.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/9/19 8:39 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc :

I removed the last one. Not that it did not happen but if someone chose they could probably identify him and I have no proof.

My cousin had a teacher at the same time in BC (google Tom Ellison) who was outed for exactly the same thing and was charged with essentially seducing about a dozen girls. Pretty sure it was very common at the time. She said everyone was well aware of what he was doing, including the school staff.

joey48442
joey48442 PowerDork
6/9/19 10:59 p.m.
slantvaliant said:

My father told the story of being pulled over on a motorcycle in the 40's and being asked by the cop, "What are you planning to do that is so dangerous that you need a helmet?"

Ride a motorcycle, presumably!

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
6/10/19 8:10 a.m.
Floating Doc said:

I graduated from High School with a 1.8 GPA (A test average, then points off for attendence).

They won't let you do that anymore, have to have a 2.0.

And you got to go to berkeleying vet school?  In SC it’s easier to get into medical school than vet school.  

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LDvz1tQJbAwv4qLnudtVVW7GfR8WSBMpTgPV7IcoJekzN9fIwPotFwG71nQ6FYXj