1 2
Anti-stance
Anti-stance Reader
2/14/12 3:46 p.m.

This may be a repost, but what a dumbass.

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2684546

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid Dork
2/14/12 3:55 p.m.

WOW

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
2/14/12 4:00 p.m.

wow....I would've welded a cheater bar before cutting the wheel

WilberM3
WilberM3 Dork
2/14/12 4:14 p.m.

i saw that a while back but that's still one of my favorite threads the internet has ever produced.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
2/14/12 4:16 p.m.

:facepalm:

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/14/12 4:24 p.m.

Speaking of which. Stupid AAA apparently walked off with the lug nut lock tool when they changed the spare tire on the Fiance's car the other night.

So now, I have to remove the lock (at least its easy to reach on the spare) to swap the tires back and find a way probably replace the locking lugs on the other three (which of course are recessed in the wheels, stupid VW's)

I knew I should have just gone and helped her out when she called.

Anyone know how to replace the locking lugnut tool on an 04 Jetta, I think they might be factory as they aren't the normal aftermarket ones I've seen as they match the style and finish of the factory lug nuts.

ohms
ohms New Reader
2/14/12 4:26 p.m.

you know whats really bad about it though, is how the guy said "i'll never buy a VW" cuz of his predicament. and he, being the resident car guy in his circle of friends, will spread that vibe amongst them, and they in turn will spout it to others cuz their "friend who knows a lot about cars" said it.

i seen the term "car-racism" used on grm before, possibly coined by a grmer. i've always known that concept (and hated it, and try to educate friends/strangers when they say "oh i'll never buy X car because my parents had one and the door lock always stuck") but never heard the term before reading it here, describing the same thing. WE NEED TO FIGHT CAR RACISM!

motomoron
motomoron Dork
2/14/12 4:30 p.m.

This required a good 1/2" drill, a set of good drill bits (135 degree cobalt split point) and some cutting oil. Drill into splined recess 'til head separates from stud body, remove wheel, unscrew stud from hub w/ fingers.

10 minutes.

dimarra
dimarra Dork
2/14/12 4:34 p.m.

"easy out Didnt really work since drill bits are brass"

Well, there's a new one on me.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
2/14/12 4:35 p.m.

someone insert "car" in this:

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
2/14/12 5:13 p.m.
turboswede wrote: Speaking of which. Stupid AAA apparently walked off with the lug nut lock tool when they changed the spare tire on the Fiance's car the other night. So now, I have to remove the lock (at least its easy to reach on the spare) to swap the tires back and find a way probably replace the locking lugs on the other three (which of course are recessed in the wheels, stupid VW's) I knew I should have just gone and helped her out when she called. Anyone know how to replace the locking lugnut tool on an 04 Jetta, I think they might be factory as they aren't the normal aftermarket ones I've seen as they match the style and finish of the factory lug nuts.

Those should be factory, yes. They were the very bane of my existence on my wife's old '03 Golf.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 SuperDork
2/14/12 5:18 p.m.

Oh man. I feel kinda bad for that guy. I remember being young and having to figure out things when you have no experience. But, man. Would have been good not to post that one on the internet. I've done stupid things that I'd rather not talk about. But, uh, I try to keep them to myself.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/14/12 5:24 p.m.
ohms wrote: i seen the term "car-racism" used on grm before, possibly coined by a grmer.

Copyright 2012, Javelin

redrabbit
redrabbit Reader
2/14/12 5:44 p.m.

My wifes GrMarqis had (repeat, had) mcguard locks on it. I sheared the key off. I went to Mercury dealer. They had a master kit. I ordered new locking lugs and sheared new key. Sucks to not know your own strength or if product is crap. (Please excuse spelling).

jstand
jstand New Reader
2/14/12 10:55 p.m.
dimarra wrote: "easy out Didnt really work since drill bits are brass" Well, there's a new one on me.

They keep the brass drill bits right next to the brass easy-outs and titanium taps at my local hardware store

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/14/12 11:09 p.m.

Where does the general public seem to get this notion that there is some sort of general "hierarchy of metals", where each one is just plain "better" (tougher, stronger, harder, AND shinier) than the last...

lead < copper < brass < aluminum < steel < titanium < adamantium...

The "titanium tap" was just killing me...

fritzsch
fritzsch Reader
2/14/12 11:17 p.m.

Would someone mind explaining what was going on with the titanium tap thing. and why he was going on and on about titanium and brass and such?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/15/12 12:02 a.m.

shotgun would have fixed that

junkbuggie
junkbuggie Reader
2/15/12 1:25 a.m.

most vw's seem to have a factory locking lug even on the steel wheels I have thought about going to a junkyard and geting a key I think thay are all the same.

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
2/15/12 1:30 a.m.
junkbuggie wrote: most vw's seem to have a factory locking lug even on the steel wheels I have thought about going to a junkyard and geting a key I think thay are all the same.

if they were all the same, then it would be kind of pointless to have the locking lugnut at all..

i read the first page of that thread- i see he didn't try my patented "find the next size bigger allen or torx socket and pound it into the hole" trick for situations just like this..

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Reader
2/15/12 8:56 a.m.
fast_eddie_72 wrote: Oh man. I feel kinda bad for that guy. I remember being young and having to figure out things when you have no experience. But, man. Would have been good not to post that one on the internet. I've done stupid things that I'd rather not talk about. But, uh, I try to keep them to myself.

Yeah, I have done plenty of stupid things in my learning process. Hell, I even have a box full of parts that I have screwed up to remind me not to do that again. Its basically my "idiot box". I occasionally bust it out and laugh at how car stupid I was back in the late 90s early 2000s.

But, why the hell would he take pictures of cutting his damn wheel. I'd hate to see what it would take for him to pull the engine and transmission out of a car. "Well, I couldn't reach the exhaust bolts, so I busted out the windshield and cut the firewall out and it made it easier. Don't ever buy a XXXXXX"

slantvaliant
slantvaliant Dork
2/15/12 9:37 a.m.
fritzsch wrote: Would someone mind explaining what was going on with the titanium tap thing. and why he was going on and on about titanium and brass and such?

Probably mistook the metals involved from the color of some of the tap coatings.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
2/15/12 10:48 a.m.
junkbuggie wrote: most vw's seem to have a factory locking lug even on the steel wheels I have thought about going to a junkyard and geting a key I think thay are all the same.

There are 24 different keys. I know this because I borrowed the set from a friend who works at the VW dealership. My spouses second hand 2001 GTI came sans key (of course)

You can order the key with your VIN at the parts counter of every VW dealership, but the techs in the shop have a set or two around and might be willing to help.

alex
alex SuperDork
2/15/12 11:08 a.m.

I'm definitely dumber having read that thread. I've done plenty of stupid E36 M3 learning how to work on stuff (I'm a big proponent of learning by doing, and that one learns more from failure than success) but...wow.

Some folks need to have their tools taken away. Or at least their Sawzalls.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/15/12 12:00 p.m.
ditchdigger wrote:
There are 24 different keys. I know this because I borrowed the set from a friend who works at the VW dealership. My spouses second hand 2001 GTI came sans key (of course) You can order the key with your VIN at the parts counter of every VW dealership, but the techs in the shop have a set or two around and might be willing to help.

Thanks, I'll try that. The brakes need to be bleed, badly. Along with the wheel swap, I didn't relish spending hours to get through all that for some simple maintenance items.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jJnfm7AODZTxYGI2TC6LvPZqg1R4UbvbZq7HG5BrLgQwwqourVwoTgP4tq7olT6u