1 2
Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox SuperDork
2/15/12 1:30 p.m.

One of the responses -

Same thing happened on a VW that my stepmom had - older VR6. Several VW delaers tried to get the locking lug off- all of their lug keys stripped out. Had to have all 4 rims torched off car.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon SuperDork
2/15/12 3:18 p.m.

VWs are crap. There, I said it and I guess that means I R a car racist. But this particular instance was not the car's fault, it was operator error.

I saw a factory 'turbine' wheel rusted onto a late '70's Thunderbird so bad that it had to be broken apart to get it off. The deal was that the wheel was a pretty close fit on the axle 'snout' for centering purposes (Ford even had a special tool to remove stuck wheels. It did not work in this case. How would you like to be on the side of the road in the middle of a rainy night and discover you needed that tool?) and the car had been up in the snow/slush/salt belt. So of course the wheel and snout became one. That car was in the shop for 2 days and the best/smartest guys we had finally admitted defeat, the wheel was chiseled apart, then the remaining piece was grooved and split.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BaeLYM3z5fWKj13zXho1CyTL0o3alkRc4GC7NtzUNAVNQFg8tKFbxPXEv0bb7Q5N