MCODave
MCODave New Reader
10/7/10 9:31 a.m.

My daily driver is a 2004 Infiniti G35 Sedan (6sp manual, not that it is relevant, but just in case you're nosy). It has 95,000 miles on it and needs new tires. The tires have been ordered and delivered and are sitting in my garage waiting to be put on.

Now here is my question - should I consider replacing the tire pressure monitoring sensors in the wheels when I have the tires installed? From what I can gather, they have non-replaceable batteries so you are meant to replace the whole sensor when the battery dies. No one knows how long the battery is meant to last, but I would imagine that 6+ years and almost 100k miles is pushing it. I bought the car with 75k and don't know if they have ever been replaced before.

If I replace them I am looking at over $150 even at fleabay prices, plus I think someone has to reprogram the car to recognize the new sensors. If I don't replace them and one of the batteries die, I have to deal with the stupid TPMS going off constantly, and probably having the tires unmounted and remounted just to fix it. This is my first car with TPMS. The guys on the Infiniti forum care more about stereos and big chrome wheels (you should read their "clutch bleeding instructions"), so I thought I would try here instead. Any input would be appreciated.

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
10/7/10 9:43 a.m.

there are usually tpms service kits, that replace the battery, seal, and valve stem while the tire is off the rim. you might have to go to nissan/infinity to get it though.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QXomMqcwyGOsNqpC2pHBU6koN7awpeNetjUiLgRGwl5IrPsOdD59FHK2lC06Xwjd