Jerry
Jerry Dork
10/24/13 8:53 a.m.

...if you installed a key-logger of some sort last night, SCREW YOU!

(Said she had to do something with this computer last night, probably nothing but just in case: Hope you enjoy this thread.)

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
10/24/13 8:56 a.m.

You don't install key loggers on security's computer. In fact, you don't even install web browsers...

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
10/24/13 9:01 a.m.

To avoid having your keyboard input logged:

Unplug the network cable.

Click on Start -> Go to All Programs -> Click onAccessories -> Select Accessibility ->Click on On-Screen Keyboard

Open task manager, go to Processes.

Search anything that looks out of place at Liutilities or Neuber or just google the name really.

Kill it. Find it's executable and delete it or better yet replace it with an empty file of the same name.

If you don't have permission to delete files, bring a linux boot disk to work with you tomorrow. Boot from it. Mount the drive as root. Delete the files.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
10/24/13 9:06 a.m.

Would a Bluetooth keyboard get around a keylogger?

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/24/13 9:18 a.m.

thats what I was thinking too

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/24/13 9:42 a.m.
RossD wrote: Would a Bluetooth keyboard get around a keylogger?

No. Only an on-screen keyboard...even then some loggers might catch that.

Came back from vacation and found that someone had logged onto my computer as local admin, now what was that about...

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
10/24/13 9:52 a.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker: Get caught, lose job, bitch about it here...

Well, you could always find it and then report it to your boss as spyware like your company had been hacked. Then make her uncomfortable and admit it's policy by offering to remove it safely ;)

Then go get a different job.

My opinion is that... it's better to remain silent, disable it and leave it in place.

slefain
slefain UltraDork
10/24/13 10:57 a.m.

I've found that most companies forget to change the factory or backup emergency passwords listed in the software manuals. I had complete control of my machine at one company for years, and even helped unlock a few other stations around me. I understand the need for security, but some people just want to flex their IT power just because they can.

fanfoy
fanfoy HalfDork
10/24/13 1:27 p.m.
slefain wrote: ....but some people just want to flex their IT power just because they can.

What???

etc...

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/24/13 3:29 p.m.

Friend of mine worked for Lehman brothers. He did all the IT work there. When they got bought by the German firm, they made him disable all the CD rom drives so people could not load in programs of thier own or remove data.

This included his own admin computer....

slefain
slefain UltraDork
10/24/13 3:53 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: Friend of mine worked for Lehman brothers. He did all the IT work there. When they got bought by the German firm, they made him disable all the CD rom drives so people could not load in programs of thier own or remove data. This included his own admin computer....

In college I used to run applications from a thumb drive to bypass the software installation ban on the lab computers. I just plugged in the USB drive, fired up mIRC and chatted away while the professor droned on.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
10/24/13 4:16 p.m.
fanfoy wrote:
slefain wrote: ....but some people just want to flex their IT power just because they can.
What??? etc...

that guy must also work for the Canadian IT firm that just recently bungled a major website for the US government...

nicksta43
nicksta43 SuperDork
10/24/13 5:18 p.m.

That seems to be his only post today...hope he didn't get fired for it

Jerry
Jerry Dork
10/25/13 9:10 a.m.

In reply to nicksta43:

Nope.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/25/13 11:48 a.m.

The boss just saw you type "nope" and is thinking "Not yet, but I'll figure out what is going on in Berkeley soon. Yes, soon."

yamaha
yamaha PowerDork
10/25/13 11:58 a.m.

As long as my VNC icon on the bottom of the screen is white, I'm in control.....if its black, damn IT dept is screwing with me.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/25/13 12:01 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy:

In other news, Bob Costas was seen paddling a conoe in Berkeley this past weekend.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
10/26/13 3:10 p.m.

our system deleted any sound and/or speakers - of course youtube and ebay are not accessible

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
10/26/13 3:12 p.m.

however if i was the CEO - I would be hacked if folks were on the computer all day. the JCP CEO from Apple found out a LOT of youtube watching was being done at Corporate......

http://money.msn.com/now/post.aspx?post=249fd73f-fd44-4dca-98c2-4a8b7b2f1734

Jerry
Jerry Dork
10/26/13 3:35 p.m.

I scan the latest posts from time to time, sometimes commenting. I could consider it my smoke break I suppose.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
10/26/13 4:37 p.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote: In reply to Brett_Murphy: In other news, Bob Costas was seen paddling a conoe in Berkeley this past weekend.

was there E36 M3 involved?

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/26/13 4:43 p.m.
Datsun310Guy wrote: however if i was the CEO - I would be hacked if folks were on the computer all day. the JCP CEO from Apple found out a LOT of youtube watching was being done at Corporate...... http://money.msn.com/now/post.aspx?post=249fd73f-fd44-4dca-98c2-4a8b7b2f1734

I usually have YouTube running in the background. It's no different to the end user as having a radio on, etc. however, to the company it uses resources (bandwidth) and appears as if they aren't working.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
10/26/13 5:14 p.m.
turboswede wrote:
Datsun310Guy wrote: however if i was the CEO - I would be hacked if folks were on the computer all day. the JCP CEO from Apple found out a LOT of youtube watching was being done at Corporate...... http://money.msn.com/now/post.aspx?post=249fd73f-fd44-4dca-98c2-4a8b7b2f1734
I usually have YouTube running in the background. It's no different to the end user as having a radio on, etc. however, to the company it uses resources (bandwidth) and appears as if they aren't working.

i stream a radio station all night at work, with facebook open in one tab and various other sites getting browsed in another tab... night shift cnc machinist isn't the kind of job that requires 100% attention at all times..

dculberson
dculberson UltraDork
10/26/13 5:21 p.m.
turboswede wrote:

I can't watch a video in the background, it always pulls my attention. Some people might be able to do it but to me it's a lot more intrusive than music.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/29/13 11:40 a.m.

I have been watching YOUTube TIG welding videos all week, everyday.

We do some welding here at work and I am trying to get my head around every variable involved. the videos seem to be helping me.

I am not sure if the IT department care or not.

Rob R.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tQ9cEA5MXDMVWP7C7HuFaLME0qe1dKm7nt7OSinTjPnrF4p6MIY6QaxeQ8W31HCr