1 2
ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
12/9/18 8:38 p.m.

DOOM is 25 years old in a couple of hours.  And its still great.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/10/18 7:27 a.m.

I played Wolfenstein 3-D for a while and was eagerly observing the status of DOOM on Usenet.

I could swear that I had downloaded from a BBS an alpha that had permanently-destructible elements like walls and windows, and had terminals you could access.  Obviously this kind of complexity was too much for the hardware of the time to handle if you wanted more than two or three rooms.

I still remember the first time I actually saw DOOM, at a friend's house.  My mind was BLOWN.  Area maps that weren't grid squares, multiple height levels in the maps, much better lighting and texture effects!

And this was before I discovered cooperative and deathmatch gaming modes if you had two phone lines (or two computers and a null modem)  Needed two phone lines so you could call your friend and set it up while the computers connected to each other on the other line.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
12/10/18 7:31 a.m.
Knurled. said:

I still remember the first time I actually saw DOOM, at a friend's house.  My mind was BLOWN.  Area maps that weren't grid squares, multiple height levels in the maps, much better lighting and texture effects!

Yup.  And OMG the sound!

slefain
slefain PowerDork
12/10/18 7:44 a.m.

IDDQD

Knurled.
12/10/18 7:45 a.m.

Just for reference, this was state of the art FPS before DOOM.  Heck, I think it was the original FPS.

Wolfenstein 3-D full playthrough

If your health got below 10%, you could eat the dog food to gain health in 1% increments! Might have been able to drink the water puddles, too.

Versus this:

DOOM E1M1 (Music:  Metallica - No Remorse)

...wait, why didn't he turn around at the beginning?  There's a chainsaw back there!

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
12/10/18 7:47 a.m.

Peak gaming experience: staying up until the crack of dawn playing 4 player deathmatch doom in a friend’s apartment basement. That game was quite an achievement! I had to get my own network after that. I cobbled together some surplus equipment and built a token ring network for goodness sakes. It worked great and I had many sleepless nights with friends playing doom and later quake and Descent. 

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/10/18 8:39 a.m.

The first video game I was ever truly addicted to. My co-workers and I used to play on the networked 386 computers after work (Novell Netware, anyone?). I remember sitting down to play, opening a Coke and having one sip, then not touching the Coke for another 3 hours because I was so engrossed in the game. That was Doom. Well, technically it was Doom 2 that introduced deathmatch, but you know....

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/10/18 8:44 a.m.

Never played DOOM, but we did play a ton of Quake in various incarnations.  Including DDs #1 and #2, aged approximately 8 and 4, with DD#1 running the keyboard and DD#2 balsting away with the shotgun via the mouse button.

At a couple of jobs, network Quake was a 5:00p - 5:45p daily occurance.  I kind of miss those days.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
12/10/18 8:48 a.m.
Tom_Spangler said:

Well, technically it was Doom 2 that introduced deathmatch, but you know....

No sirree! Doom 1 had deathmatch just fine. It was LAN based; maybe you're thinking of online multiplayer? I played Doom deathmatch for hours and hours on end.

From Wikipedia: "In addition to the main single-player game mode, Doom features two multiplayer modes playable over a local network: "cooperative", in which two to four players team up to play through the main game, and "deathmatch", in which two to four players play against each other."

Knurled.
12/10/18 8:53 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

There was a bug in some version of DOOM where the other players would show up on the map, even in DM mode.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/10/18 9:03 a.m.

Don't forget that Doom is also one of the best co-op FPSes out there, and of course has one of the best mod scenes. I've played through a ton of fan-made map packs in co-op with my dad, one that really stood out was a pack called Scythe2 that had huge well-made levels with lots of custom work and some custom enemies.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
12/10/18 9:06 a.m.
dculberson said:
Tom_Spangler said:

No sirree! Doom 1 had deathmatch just fine. It was LAN based; maybe you're thinking of online multiplayer? I played Doom deathmatch for hours and hours on end.

From Wikipedia: "In addition to the main single-player game mode, Doom features two multiplayer modes playable over a local network: "cooperative", in which two to four players team up to play through the main game, and "deathmatch", in which two to four players play against each other."

In my dorm at Georgia Tech in 94-96 there were ALWAYS a couple patch cables running through the halls between rooms with people LANning Doom.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/10/18 9:17 a.m.

All I know about Doom is that Rosamund Pike went on to do some really great stuff, Karl Urban is still underrated ( SO good in Reds) and that Rock guy might have a career in movies. 

GameboyRMH
12/10/18 9:26 a.m.

^The "FPS" scene from that movie (AKA "the scene that almost makes it worth watching") took up most of the movie's production time and budget...so much so that it almost bankrupted the movie.

When I saw Stephen Lang in Avatar I immediately thought he would make a good Doom Guy.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
12/10/18 9:46 a.m.

Lights out, middle of the night, the sound of pinkies in the distance made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.  You know they're out there, but where? Conserve ammo, make your shots count.

Or: IDKFA wink

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
12/10/18 10:11 a.m.

Played it a lot on my first box, an AMD 386DX-40, and later on its successor, the Am5x86-133.  First downloaded the shareware version from a BBS.  Good times.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
12/10/18 10:26 a.m.

I played the hell out of DOOM! I was probably 9? And my older brother was cool enough to set up an online death match for me to play against his friend's younger brother who was 12 or 13? We were pretty evenly matched I think. 

Some time later we got enough PCs together in the house and my older siblings and I played Rise of the Triads deathmatch.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/10/18 10:31 a.m.

I didn't get into Doom until after Quake. I had "ultimate Doom" which was the first 4 games in one pack. Total clusterberkeley of a release, but still a fantastic way to waste my youth. 

The first Quake though, that holds a special place for me, from the day I brought home the 11 3.5"floppies for the shareware version, top becoming the first "cracked" game I ever owned. Oh that nail gun....

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
12/10/18 10:44 a.m.
RevRico said:

I had "ultimate Doom" which was the first 4 games in one pack.

Nerd alert

Doom contained 3 episodes and was only released via the shareware & mail order model.

Doom II was released in Sept. of 1994 and was sold on retail shelves.

The Ultimate Doom was the retail release of Doom (1) in 1995, and included an additional 4th epsiode.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
12/10/18 10:48 a.m.
RevRico said:

The first Quake though, that holds a special place for me

The first quake holds a special place for me as well.  I was very competitive at Clan Arena and it remains as one of the fastest FPS games out there.

Also Quake 1 was released exactly 5 years before F&F and exactly 10 years before I graduated college.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/10/18 11:34 a.m.
dculberson said:
Tom_Spangler said:

I stand corrected! My memory ain't what it used to be. Probably too much time playing FPS games in the 90s.....

GameboyRMH
12/10/18 11:40 a.m.

John Romero's released an addon episode for the original Doom to mark the 25th anniversary:

https://www.engadget.com/2018/12/10/john-romero-doom-sigil-expansion/

Also check out the video at the bottom of that article.

Anyone else have Doom on their phone? All but my first 2 phones could run it. Really blew people's minds to see the game running in all its glory on a Treo 650.

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
12/10/18 11:47 a.m.
Knurled.
12/10/18 11:52 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

I'm seen DOOM running on a printer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLHx3vO7KJM

The story is (and I probably have some wires crossed), a guy found a severe security flaw in a certain printer.  It would call home and automatically update, but was easily spoofed to run whatever malicious software you wanted.  The guy e-mailed the company, who said no no everything is fine.  So he did this in response.  "I just spoofed your update process to make the printer run DOOM!"

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
12/10/18 11:58 a.m.
Tom_Spangler said:
dculberson said:
Tom_Spangler said:

I stand corrected! My memory ain't what it used to be. Probably too much time playing FPS games in the 90s.....

Doom did introduce deathmatch.  Rise of the triad (1994) was the first the be released with dedicated deathmatch maps though.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kHKGNF1mjktkigt81uYn1waSdWEWpKGlvMK3jDgJIokvuE8qjhDE8hCMzQYYSM1a