sobe_death
sobe_death HalfDork
12/9/13 11:57 p.m.

I know that there are some rental companies that have the Mercedes Sprinter vans, but they all seem to be very local to certain cities. Does anybody know of one that will rent one-way? I'm trying to plan a move from Atlanta to Denver, but I don't have enough things to warrant getting a box truck that won't get any better mileage than your normal V8 rental van. The Sprinters seem to get about double the mileage of the big Chevy/Ford vans...

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
12/10/13 7:53 a.m.

Ryder:

http://www.ryder.com/en/truck-rental.aspx

sobe_death
sobe_death HalfDork
12/10/13 2:13 p.m.

Ryder says

"All Ryder rentals are roundtrip and must be returned to the original rental location. One way rentals are not available."

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
12/10/13 2:56 p.m.

Ah... bummer... my Google-fu didn't dig that deeply. The site indicated they do long distance rentals, but I suppose they mean big round trips...

I've been pondering rental a Sprinter as a sort of 24 hr test drive since I'd like to buy one. Unfortunately, Sprinters don't seem big with the rental companies. I'm guessing the buy-in is too high vs domestic box vans they can buy in huge lots.

trigun7469
trigun7469 Reader
12/10/13 3:23 p.m.

You could rent a cargo van from enterprise one way airport to airport, unlimited mileage.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
12/10/13 3:25 p.m.

In reply to trigun7469:

Enterprise doesn't rent Sprinters...

sobe_death
sobe_death HalfDork
12/11/13 1:36 a.m.

The problem is finding a diesel cargo van. It doesn't necessarily have to be a Sprinter, but I would rather get the economy of a smaller diesel van. It seems that whether you're in a gas cargo van or a diesel box truck, you don't get much better than 13-15mpg.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/11/13 5:08 a.m.

We had a local company rent Sprinters for a little while. They gave up because too many customers were filling them with gas. With rentals you have to dumb things down as much as possible.

trigun7469
trigun7469 Reader
12/11/13 9:07 a.m.
sobe_death wrote: The problem is finding a diesel cargo van. It doesn't necessarily have to be a Sprinter, but I would rather get the economy of a smaller diesel van. It seems that whether you're in a gas cargo van or a diesel box truck, you don't get much better than 13-15mpg.

I would do a cost analysis, I recently looked at the same thing, to rent a Cargo Van is about $65 a day unlimited mileage, when I looked at Ryder truck is was $59 + $.40 mile, so even with the gas differential the Cargo Van was cheaper.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RErj75FoKk1dKcQfVcMfFO1wmwYV8sQiiXbG8uFbp4kTAvfOS0FIB84wxN8mQJer