JamesMcD
JamesMcD HalfDork
11/17/13 4:15 p.m.

Has anyone ever installed a garage door themselves before?

My shop has a sliding garage door as you'd find on a barn. I want to replace it with a regular powered overhead door. They don't look very complicated but I'm not sure where to buy parts and the torsion spring scares me a little bit.

Any tips?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
11/17/13 4:39 p.m.

I've put up several of them and it's not particularly difficult, they come with directions. The big thing is the torsion spring - be careful when tensioning them, but as long as you use care and the proper tools it should be uneventful.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
11/17/13 4:47 p.m.

Torsion springs scare the crap out of me. best $50 bucks to have a pro wind them for me.
I was inside the garage when one broke. Spring slapped the side supports no less then 6 times.

You can also look into the low profile roll up doors.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/17/13 5:41 p.m.

I bought my stuff from DDM Garage Doors. They also have great online tutorials and videos.

http://ddmgaragedoors.com/diy-instructions/

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
11/17/13 7:01 p.m.

I've done a few like Datsun1500 described. Not difficult. As far as assembling it, you just stack the sections from the bottom up.

iceracer
iceracer UberDork
11/17/13 7:10 p.m.

My door has two tension springs. Very easy to adjust if needed. Putting up the track is the picky part and getting it "square". Are you using a one piece door of a multi panel ? Going to have an opener ? Really the spring is the least of your worries.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
11/17/13 7:16 p.m.

FWIW, my current house has extension springs. I think the torsion are easier to work with.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/17/13 9:16 p.m.

i've done them all. none are hard, but the cheapest home depot quality doors are not the easiest because the tracks are so flimsy that they flex when the door is on the way up. they need more brackets added in the middle of the horizontal track.

torsion springs not horrible. just go get a couple pieces of 3 foot long 1/2" round bar stock for levers. the ones with the little screw that you just put a drill onto are cool too. extension springs blow

jmthunderbirdturbo
jmthunderbirdturbo HalfDork
7/13/15 12:34 a.m.

benmarc, do you have a link to your new canoe ?

-J0N

alex
alex UberDork
7/13/15 1:29 a.m.

That's a quality bot, though, you gotta admit.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/13/15 10:54 a.m.

Yep

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Kfp7L7ijqBV2Lj0calPU1YzCjJaGGFJVFHZNwYwGuez23Pvvfkn7ZO6LQBVptEKX