RossD
RossD PowerDork
8/17/15 10:25 a.m.

So I have a Raspberry Pi 2 coming in the mail this week. I'm kind of excited about it, but I'm know sure what I'm going to do with it yet.

I know there are a couple of people here that have them and I'm wondering what it is you do with them?

For those not in the know, it's a tiny $35 computer originally designed for teaching kids about computers, but it now has a big following for all kinds of DIY projects. They usually run a Linux/Unix operating system with usually free to use software.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
8/17/15 10:32 a.m.

HTPC seems to be a common theme

RossD
RossD PowerDork
8/17/15 10:37 a.m.

So like Kodi/XBMC? I'm basically a total noob with anything Linux. I install Ubuntu on my 11 year old desktop and I can't keep it from locking up long enough to do much with it so I kind of gave up on that for the moment (Its just my basement workshop computer.)

asoduk
asoduk Reader
8/17/15 10:42 a.m.

I have one in my garage. It allows me to control my garage door from my phone, and also can has the camera module so I can see if my door is open/closed. I had it acting as a pandora player as well, but stopped doing that as it never sounded great. They do work as desktops/HTPCs, but I think their real power is in using the GPIO to control things.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
8/17/15 10:54 a.m.

I've looked into doing some temperature logging using either the general GPIO or using the I2C feature and having a bunch of DS18B20 temp sensors.

slowride
slowride HalfDork
8/17/15 10:56 a.m.

I used mine as a Squeezebox replacement for a while. I'm planning to convert it over to Airplay soon though. I got the Wolfson DAC add on card last year, but I stalled out getting all the drivers etc into the distro and stopped messing with it for a while.

monknomo
monknomo New Reader
8/17/15 12:01 p.m.

I did a MAME setup with one and use the other as a host for Xymon, so I can tell when my other computers are acting up

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
8/17/15 1:08 p.m.

I have a Pi 1 that is a webserver (ArkOS), and a Pi 2 as a Kodi/XBMC setup (OpenELEC).

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
8/17/15 1:27 p.m.

What language is this thread written in? Cause it sure ain't English. Also, there is a disturbing lack of any pie. Raspberry, blueberry, or apple. I ain't picky, but if you're gonna start a thread about raspberry pie on an American forum, please post in English. And about pie.

Dammit, now I'm hungry. Tbanks guys....

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/17/15 1:39 p.m.

Deal Extreme seems to have a pretty good selection of accessories for them:

http://www.dx.com/s/raspberry%2bpi?category=471

I had some rhubarb pie recently. I like rhubarb pie.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
8/17/15 1:42 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

Maybe I should have written it as ∏

In reply to Pro-Darwin:

Do you use the Kodi setup more to stream stuff or to view your own local media? Do you have any rom emulators?

I had some rhubarb pie this weekend too!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
8/17/15 2:10 p.m.

Local media... I have a PS3 and Chromecast for streaming. No rom emulators, but that's something I've wanted to do for a while to build a stand up arcade cabinet.

I'll probably replace the PS3/Chromecast/Kodi with a single Roku one of these days and turn the Pi2 into a garageputer for general web surfing, reading FSMs, streaming Pandora.

ssswitch
ssswitch HalfDork
8/17/15 10:15 p.m.

I was using mine as a gadget for home automation. A solderless breadboard and one of the Pi Cobblers or clones is all you need to get started letting the smoke out of things.

It's incredible how powerful the version 2 is compared to the original models. My original model B has been retired to become a wall-mounted garage PC.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
8/17/15 10:45 p.m.

Bread, pi, smokes. I like where this thread is going.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UKCXRLHxQI3cDOnytfF3mrqE1JFEygwp6Nr5DVvsTgi0eQMCgr91FBMkxuoTyyxF