Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/20/18 8:30 p.m.

Jake had surgery this morning and is now a cyclops.  indecision

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/20/18 8:31 p.m.

Poor Jake. I had a one eye goldfish once that I named Jack for obvious reasons. 

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
2/20/18 8:32 p.m.

Poor fella, hope he is doing well post surgery!

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/20/18 8:43 p.m.

We had four one eyed cats at one time growing up. Cats and dogs both are very good at shaking this sort of thing off. Just remind the kids to be careful approaching on that side. Even the best of dogs get a little freaked out until they get used to it. 

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/20/18 8:53 p.m.

As Seth  says,  dogs recover quite well.  They don't look in the mirror to see how ugly they are.  We had a greyhound with a hundred amputated due to bone cancer and was up the same day moving around. Spent the next four years pogoing around happily.  

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
2/20/18 9:25 p.m.

Poor pupper, hope he heals well and quickly.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace HalfDork
2/21/18 8:21 a.m.

Glad he's ok! 

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/21/18 8:30 a.m.

Sorry your furry buddy had to go through that.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

WilD
WilD Dork
2/21/18 8:31 a.m.

He looks so happy despite the eye.  I love dogs.

No cone of shame?  I know some dogs really don't take well to keeping them on, but I also know it is very easy for them to reopen surgical wounds, even if it looks like they are leaving them alone.  It's a PITA making return trips to the vet to get them closed back up...

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
2/21/18 12:38 p.m.

Poor guy.  Animals are amazing at recovering from stuff like this.  My mom's cat has 3 legs and 1/2 a tail.  You wouldn't know anything was wrong from all the antics she gets into to.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/21/18 1:02 p.m.

I'll be the odd man out here and say he looks pretty bad ass.  Your dog has some street cred now! (hope he's OK) 

jstand
jstand Dork
2/21/18 1:18 p.m.

We had an older  cat that had both eyes removed. He seemed to be more comfortable and in less pain after the procedure. 

After a short adjustment period he had no trouble finding his way around the house. 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/21/18 1:49 p.m.

Hope he does well. One eyed dogs and cats normally adapt quite well. 

Please forgive me for getting on my professional soap box for a moment, but I have to agree with WilD.

I would definitely recommend keeping him the the e-collar/cone of shame for the recommended time (I usually recommend 10 days for most surgeries).  When a patient rubs the sutures out, it's often much harder to re-close, plus there's another surgery for the dog to endure, and for you to pay for. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/21/18 1:53 p.m.

He’s in the cone, he was out of it so he could reach his food.  He had a restless night but looks pretty good today.  

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/21/18 2:25 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Great! I'm glad he's doing well. Was it trauma or glaucoma? 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nbhypCss61bdUVDfybgZ5kGJRCzClBohEF23v2AtMMDYnpVMjzD0S3MuXD5oha4d