1 2 3
Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
5/22/16 5:22 p.m.

I can't bring myself to spend $60 on a game that's really just run-n-gun through a dungeon. I played it (& Quake) a little back in the day, but yeah... Anyone else have it? I'm thinking about renting it, even if I haven't rented a movie/game besides Netflix in decades.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/22/16 5:24 p.m.

Came in here hoping for the music genre and not the game lol

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
5/22/16 5:36 p.m.

The wolfenstein game was great on the 360. Didn't try doom though.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
5/22/16 5:37 p.m.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
5/22/16 5:46 p.m.

I pre-ordered on Amazon, it was $12 off, with Prime. Might still be?

I got it on Monday for Xbox, put the disc in and then went to bed, had to wait on it to download 5 Gigs of updates. Par for course for the Xbox, going to have to get an external hard drive, stupid thing is 91% full, and I don't have that many games.

Anyway, Doom is a lot of fun, I've only played campaign Hurt me Plenty, I've managed to die a few times, dang near died at the very beginning, why "invert look" ins't the default standard on all games is beyond me.

It's very fast paced, and Glory Kills are my new favorite thing.

Biggest complaint so far, is the chainsaw runs out of fuel too quick, though as potent as the chainsaw is in this version, I guess you'd be pretty overpowered if you were able to run the chainsaw full tilt the entire time.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/22/16 6:05 p.m.

Doom is the only game I keep on my phone. The classic, of course I don't have a gaming console for the new one.

Also, you can play Wolfenstein in your browser: http://3d.wolfenstein.com/game_NA.php

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/22/16 6:13 p.m.

I picked up wolfenstien to play but haven't got around to it, probably should

BradLTL
BradLTL GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/22/16 6:32 p.m.

I'm old school and torn on this one.... Doom without Carmack doesn't feel right.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
5/22/16 6:41 p.m.
BradLTL wrote: I'm old school and torn on this one.... Doom without Carmack doesn't feel right.

He's credited as: former technical director, former engine programmer, former developer on the new game.

revrico
revrico GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/22/16 6:47 p.m.

I've been kicking around getting it. Frankly, I don't think my laptop is up to the challenge though. Getting pushed towards a One more and more.

drainoil
drainoil HalfDork
5/22/16 7:03 p.m.

First look at the title I thought someone actually remembered Ron Simmons and Butch Reed as Doom lead by Woman.

stroker
stroker SuperDork
5/22/16 10:51 p.m.

I wish I could get Doom II to run on modern desktops...

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
5/22/16 10:53 p.m.

Ill wait til goty edition hits console

MCarp22
MCarp22 Dork
5/22/16 10:59 p.m.

Apparently the doom reboot involves jumping from scripted melee attack to scripted melee attack so that you remain invincible.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
5/22/16 11:59 p.m.

I played the online beta for a couple hours, it was fun, but it was not Doom, not quite fast/open enough and you could spawn with almost any weapon you wanted.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
5/23/16 12:26 a.m.

I'm morbidly curious and want to know what people think of it. I think I have the original on the One.

I do have a feeling it may become a "free with gold" game within a year like Sunset Overdrive did.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
5/23/16 8:03 a.m.

I thought it was fun. I played it with a buddy (throwing the controller back and forth) and it was pretty fast paced and once you figure out that you need to do the Glory Kills pretty consistently to keep your health up, it actually keeps the pace up rather than sitting back and plinking away at a distance.

I haven't decided if I am going to buy it myself. I am still playing Fallout 4 quite a bit, barely played the Star Wars game that I bought in November and I'm pretty excited for No Man's Sky next month.

Jerry
Jerry UltraDork
5/23/16 8:12 a.m.

Yeah, not seeing a reason to spend $60. Let's see if the same thing happens here that happened to Star Wars Battlefront.

calteg
calteg Dork
5/23/16 8:39 a.m.

Didn't see anything revolutionary in the gameplay footage I saw. I'll still with Fallout4

NickD
NickD Dork
5/23/16 9:26 a.m.

I just dove into Witcher 3, so I'll be tied up for a few hundred hours of my life. Doom looks okay, but I'd much rather play Battleborn, I think.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/23/16 9:39 a.m.
stroker wrote: I wish I could get Doom II to run on modern desktops...

Use a source port like Zdoom with the original WAD files.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/23/16 9:45 a.m.

BTW, new one looks like a fun FPS, but I'm deeply disappointed that there's no campaign co-op. The limited moddability of the new game is a letdown too, considering it's supposed to be a successor to 1&2.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
5/23/16 9:49 a.m.
MCarp22 wrote: Apparently the doom reboot involves jumping from scripted melee attack to scripted melee attack so that you remain invincible.

I guess technically they are scripted, but you don't have to melee, and when you do you want to do it as a "Glory Kill," you knock the bad guy's health down with weapons or melee until the bad guy kind of glows with an orange shimmer, then you melee. Doing so typically drops health globes, sometimes ammo. The chainsaw is a guarantee for large quantities of ammo and health drops, but it's only good for about 3 kills before needing fuel.

The more awesome the Glory Kill the better the stuff. I'm sure there are a finite number of styles of Glory Kills, but there are so many variables resulting in different style of kill, I'm still finding new ways to Glory Kill baddies. Direction of attack and surroundings play the biggest role, i.e. ripping a skull out from behind, or an arm off from the side, or curb stomping a skull in a corridor. There's a ton of different grotesque and super violent ways to dispatch of demons.

The new game is more of a Doom styled Halo-Quake hybrid, it's not as dark or foreboding as previous games, it's a little predictable, but way more fast paced than you're typical shooter, and a breath of fresh air compared to all the Call of Duty-esque games of the past 4 or 5 years. When you go through an air lock after passing a stock pile of health, ammo, and armor, and the metal music starts up, you know E36 M3s about to get real, you absolutely cannot camp, you have to run and gun, and melee. You can't stay on the sidelines, you have to get into the heat of the action.

I'm a huge Halo fan, games, books, shows, etc. I bought Halo 5 day of release, it sucked, total disappointment. I've been a Doom fan since the 3.5" floppy share ware days, I bought Doom a couple days after, I like it.

slefain
slefain UberDork
5/23/16 10:26 a.m.

IDDQD is your friend

http://www.myabandonware.com/game/doom-ii-2pd/play-2pd

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
5/23/16 10:31 a.m.

The multiplayer was a bit of a let down. Its still very good, but it isn't what all the Quake veterans wanted (myself included). Mainly the 2 weapon loadouts. You can't bunny-hop or carry momentum like you can in Quake. Rocket launcher is a bit weak. Feels too consoleified for the PC guys :(

Limited mods are a let down as well.

I'm like 75% done with the single player campaign. Its berkeleying spectacular. Very challenging fights, excellent graphics. Nice to play a modern fast paced shooter that isn't a cover shooter.

Glory kills are't some boring scripted melee attack that keeps you invincible. They are a new and interesting mechanic added to the FPS realm. You pretty much need to perform them to get health/armor or ammo. So instead of running from a battle to find more health/ammo/armor (or let in regenerate cough COD/Halo 2+/etc.) when it gets too intense, you dive right in the middle of it. And whip out your chainsaw.

This game definitely has the most intense single player fights of any FPS I've played in a long time, if not ever.

I'm picky about my FPS games. DOOM single player did not disappoint.

BTW, it currently has >12,000 reviews which are 92% positive

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dK6HcY8agl6NFmy6oyLydtt9I1DEWOtP0D661ndz75NNMFzukDjY0GWmzXrr20MW