914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/20/18 12:27 p.m.

The pressed door panel material on the 96 is moldy, funky and a bit delaminated at the bottom.  As the doors are dead flat, can plexi or lexan be used?  What about Luann, a thin plywood product.  Glue the pleather right on the new material.  The cardboard's been on there 46 years but I can't find any; really don't think it will be done again under my ownership.

Dan

Jumper K Balls
Jumper K Balls PowerDork
9/20/18 12:38 p.m.

I have always used 1/8" Luann plywood and they always warp over time. My upholstery guy says 1/8" ABS plastic sheet is the best. It also happens to be cheaper than plywood at my local plastics store.

This set looked like a potato chip when removed a few years later

My next set will be ABS.

wawazat
wawazat Reader
9/20/18 12:56 p.m.

Agreed on the ABS plastic sheet.  The 49 year old fiber boards in my Cougar convertible were warped and falling apart.  I wasn't interested in going down that route again.  I detailed my door panel install in my 1969 Cougar build thread here on the site. 

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/20/18 1:42 p.m.

I've used the fiberboard from cheap poster frames from Walmart before with good results.  It will warp like the original if left exposed to water, but like all chinese products @ walmart, there's very little natural element to it :)

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/20/18 2:20 p.m.

Thanks guys.  I don't have a local "plastics store", where else might you find 1/8" ABS?  Craft store?

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/20/18 2:40 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

If you have a sign shop local they should have it or something similar. 

Or you can buy it online through onlineplastics.com (thyssenkrupp).

https://www.onlineplastics.com/products/engineering-plastics/abs#1-YToxOntzOjQ6ImdyaWQiO2k6MDt9

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/20/18 3:42 p.m.

What about the ABS shower backing from Lowes/Depot? 

Swipe election signs?

1/4" Plywood?

noodle
noodle GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/20/18 3:52 p.m.

Just had some .125 ABS shipped to the house to start on my 1972 Clubman's door cards.  Now I just need to find the time. Purchased mine from Amazon.  

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
9/20/18 4:04 p.m.

I've bought plastics from McMaster Carr.

tr8todd
tr8todd Dork
9/20/18 8:02 p.m.

Can you heat and bend that abs to form a door cap?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/20/18 8:59 p.m.

You might want to try Kydex. 

Jumper K Balls
Jumper K Balls PowerDork
9/20/18 9:41 p.m.

I am lucky to have these Nice folks down the street. I can get anything from lexan sheets to delrin rods up to 12" diameter.

UHMW? Rod, bar or sheet. Abs? The same.  They also do molding and bending. When I needed a custom compound bent lexan rear window for an MGA coupe they knocked it out beautifully. Coroplast, a strange foam version of ABS that weighs almost nothing. Even vinyl wrap by the foot.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yxhbezXlb65aDyW0qNxuD3GuWmAjJMdXjfAlgIcgRDleb3x5FYGirOgbUcdLKUj2