1 2
pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
11/25/10 2:01 p.m.

Lets add these here. Sort of a "WHAT in the world were you thinking?" Thread.

Dude, did you save that Toyota engine?

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
11/25/10 2:54 p.m.

How long ago was that written? I want a 2000GT more than anything else in the world.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
11/25/10 9:37 p.m.

Pete, I'm with Plat90. What year? It looks like (after looking at the photo properties) those pix come from your own hosting site..is that mag part of your collection?

Otherwise, how about Bill Harrah's Jerrari? Ferrari 365 motor into 1977 FSJ.

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
11/25/10 9:42 p.m.

this is a book I got from a library in the local library system - Fulton, Illinois.

The Complete Book of Japanese Import Cars - Toyota-Datsun-Colt-Mazda-Honda-Subaru - Peterson Publishing - 1972.

There is another 4-page article titled "Hot Rod is a Dirty Word - In Japan" - A great group of pictures too.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
11/25/10 9:48 p.m.

I just loved the Toyo when it came out. It was so ahead of it's time and was portent of things to come.

Fast forward to about a year ago when I saw one in person. It's every styling cue gone wrong by today's standards. So many manufacturers took cues from the car and did it better.

I love the concept and history of the car but it's one of those cars that wouldn't even make a good kit car because if you got it accurate people would say you did it all wrong.

Luke
Luke UberDork
11/25/10 10:46 p.m.

The caption for the Chevota could also read, "It seemed like a good idea at the time!"

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
11/25/10 10:48 p.m.
Luke wrote: The caption for the Chevota could also read, "It seemed like a good idea at the time!"

aka "how to butt-rape a $200k classic" I'm not a purist, but that makes me cringe.

I wonder if the car still exists.

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
11/26/10 11:56 a.m.

The article doesn't look like it was published too far from when the 2000GT was built. Ask yourself: Would I care if an Enzo engine were put in an MR2?

Fit_Is_Slo
Fit_Is_Slo Reader
11/26/10 6:28 p.m.
gamby wrote:
Luke wrote: The caption for the Chevota could also read, "It seemed like a good idea at the time!"
aka "how to butt-rape a $200k classic" I'm not a purist, but that makes me cringe. I wonder if the car still exists.

Well it wasn't a classic or 200k when it was done so think about that.. Just a rare used car.

friedgreencorrado
11/26/10 8:44 p.m.
pete240z wrote: this is a book I got from a library in the local library system - Fulton, Illinois. The Complete Book of Japanese Import Cars - Toyota-Datsun-Colt-Mazda-Honda-Subaru - Peterson Publishing - 1972. There is another 4-page article titled "Hot Rod is a Dirty Word - In Japan" - A great group of pictures too.

Holy cow, Petersen Publishing! The house that "Hot Rod" built.

I can't believe I can't find a better record of it's history than this at the moment..
http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/Petersen-Publishing-Company-Company-History.html

Anyone else remember CARtoons?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/CARtoons-Magazine/13577716908?v=info

oldtin
oldtin HalfDork
11/26/10 9:14 p.m.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/27/10 9:59 a.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: Pete, I'm with Plat90. What year? It looks like (after looking at the photo properties) those pix come from your own hosting site..is that mag part of your collection? Otherwise, how about Bill Harrah's Jerrari? Ferrari 365 motor into 1977 FSJ.

I actually thought this was quite a cool car (we went to the National Auto Museum for my birthday)...

Bill Harrah's also got another couple of strange cars built - IIRC there is also a Lincoln Mark II with a Hemi.

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
11/27/10 10:08 a.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim:

There were actually two Jerrari's built; the one above, and a '69 Wagoneer with a Ferrari 365 nose grafted onto the front.The '69 has had it's V-12 replaced with a Chevy 350 and was for sale as recent as a couple of years ago.

friedgreencorrado
11/27/10 11:10 a.m.

I guess Appleseed's right..there's no way of knowing what's going to be "collectable" until years down the road. A lot of these were probably just cool engine swaps back then.

I was gonna post up a Lotus Europa with a weird swap, but I kinda dug every one I could find (rotary/Zetec/4AGE).

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
11/27/10 11:47 a.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: Holy cow, Petersen Publishing! The house that "Hot Rod" built. I can't believe I can't find a better record of it's history than this at the moment.. http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/Petersen-Publishing-Company-Company-History.html

Hot Rod was first published in 1948, not 1943 as the link says.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 SuperDork
11/27/10 1:15 p.m.

I ask that question every time I see someone in a Miata , a "donk," or a slammed mini truck.

Or this... Rotary in a honda? http://img33.imageshack.us/i/civic2l.jpg/ http://img12.imageshack.us/i/civic1g.jpg/

Or a rotary in a 99-04 Mustang with a half-assed attempt at putting a 05+ Mustang Front end on it. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a 03-04 cobra before this retard got a hold of it.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 HalfDork
11/27/10 6:26 p.m.

Turbo 20B in a car as common as a Mustang? Can't see that as anything but an improvement!

DGGTrumpet
DGGTrumpet
2/13/14 11:48 p.m.

In reply to pete240z: Yes the car still exists. Sorry it took me four years to reply. You won't believe me, but it's my car.

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
2/14/14 3:15 a.m.

Pics you're a lair.

DGGTrumpet
DGGTrumpet New Reader
2/15/14 6:47 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed: I'm currently on my phone and this forum won't let me post pics from my phone. It has to be from my computer and my internet is not working, so I can only post pictures once the internet it fixed. But yeah, that's my toyota.

lewbud
lewbud HalfDork
2/15/14 8:24 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn: That abomination of a front end was an actual body kit. I've never seen one that looked good.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/16/14 7:07 a.m.

Whoa.... 20b turbo. Do want!

DGGTrumpet
DGGTrumpet New Reader
2/16/14 3:40 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed: http://www.photoshack.com/albums/userpics/13143/IMG_0631.JPG

Believe me now?

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/16/14 3:56 p.m.

Now we are all wanting details and under hood pics. Seriously cool find. How long have you had it?

DGGTrumpet
DGGTrumpet New Reader
2/16/14 5:07 p.m.

In reply to Gearheadotaku:

Not everything, but mostly everything is explained in the article from OP. Heres the engine : http://www.photoshack.com/albums/userpics/13143/photo_1.jpg Heres the engine with the car : http://www.photoshack.com/albums/userpics/13143/photo.jpg Currently, the brakes are shot and the engines frozen and theres a medium size dent in the back when we rolled in out a couple years ago and it rolled down our hill and hit our motorhome (brakes were shot). But surprisingly its not a lot of damage and can be easily fixed when we repaint it and pull out the dent or whatever we decide to do. (thank god for those bumpers on the back huh?) all the original wood is intact on the inside, carpeting and dashboard are in okay shape, everythings actually really good looking. It is actually my fathers car and we are planning on restoring it for the second time since when he first bought it he had to restore from its original condition (but that was back in 1970). We are repainting it the original red as you've seen most of the toyotas in and especially since that used to be the original color of this car. Its a very very long process, especially since my father is 80 years old now, it very difficult to get things moving. But he swapped the engine because the original engine only pumped out so little HP, it was a weak car. You may think this was a crazy swap but boy if were to hear this thing run and feel power it has now with the current engine, it was a pretty good swap. Like other people have said before, the car wasn't so rare and classic as it is today. We have absolutely no plans on selling it or taking offers from anyone. This car is a piece of our family and really symbolizes a part of my father and his success in life. I don't think of the car as a million dollar rare classic, i think of it as a reminder of my dad and his accomplishments. Im sure you all can understand that.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dXLBoOKZUUVU2is7aXybwUDxBfNaCV422a0bx1sHPWhPjN56VOrwexdBmQSRSann