petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/27/11 11:30 a.m.

OK, I've setup dual monitors before, but this is a bit different. My wife wants to download movies & watch them on our TV - which is in a different room than the PC.

I had to upgrade the video card on our Dell to get one with an HDMI output, going to the Dell site it showed a Radeon HD 4650 for $150. After a bit of Googling, I found the same card for $50-shipped and ordered it. The install was a bit of a PITA, which(again, after a bit of Googling) seemed to be relatively common, but I was able to get a driver that works, and open the control panel for the card to adjust the settings.

Here's my problem - when I connect the TV, the card recognizes it as a second monitor fine, but it always wants to split my desktop. What I really need is for the TV to be a duplicate of my existing monitor, but I didn't see any settings in the configuration to set it up that way.

What am I missing?

madmallard
madmallard Reader
7/27/11 11:35 a.m.

usually, the mirro-type options are in the ATI control panels, notsomuch the windows software. check the catalyst controls and see if it jumps out at you

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/27/11 12:14 p.m.

Yeah the mirroring option, at least in WinXP, is controlled by the video driver. You typically access them by going to Display options --> Settings tab --> Advanced and looking for the special tab that controls the video driver.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/27/11 12:17 p.m.

What OS are you running?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo HalfDork
7/27/11 12:26 p.m.

Xbox and probably PlayStation can stream movies remotely from a computer. I stream music while I play games for hours upon hours. Very easy to do if it is an option.

As for the splitting issue, when you full screen a program it really shouldn't matter. It will only fill one side. Sound should be fine too.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/27/11 1:09 p.m.

Run the ATI (AMD) Hydravision software and configure the video display settings.

petegossett
7/27/11 1:11 p.m.

Win 7/32-bit.

The problem is the PC & TV are on opposite sides of the wall, so splitting the screen is a pain, and the wireless mouse & keyboard don't work well at that distance.

I'll look for mirroring. I think I saw it in the Catalyst Control, but assumed it was an actual mirror image.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo HalfDork
7/27/11 1:12 p.m.

The catalyst will just get stolen for the platinum.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde HalfDork
7/27/11 1:13 p.m.

I'm running a similar setup, also with ATI hardware. +1 on the answer being in the ATI software (called Catalyst on my on-board setup) Good luck figuring out the software, it's kind of a PITA to deal with.

pro tip: if you just can't freaking get the whole damn image to show on the TV no matter what settings you futz with in the software, check the layout/ zoom/ screensize settings on the TV itself. took me 3 hours to figure that one out...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/27/11 1:14 p.m.

In Win7 the mirroring is controlled in the display control panel thingy (don't remember exactly what it's called).

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
7/27/11 1:23 p.m.

In Win7 you should be able to right click on the desktop and select Graphic Options then Output To for Display Cloning or Mirroring options.

donalson
donalson SuperDork
7/27/11 3:59 p.m.

for win7 hit win+p pops up a nice little screen that you point the option... in this case "duplicate"

petegossett
7/27/11 5:00 p.m.

Sweet thanks!!!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AiyRTVA4ajtgqNYBshdtiFlUtIB5Fm5sATF34Ok0mag0c9a656Jm3y9miIBEivbU