1 2
Greg Smith
Greg Smith HalfDork
1/25/19 9:50 a.m.

This is inspired by AClockworkGarage's unboxing comments in the 2018 Neww Years Game unboxing...(Page 12, Youtube video)

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/grm-new-years-game-2018-pictures/146058/page12/

It made me wonder how many others here are gamers?

So I grew up playing AD&D, Call of Cthulhu, and more in the late 1980s. After college, I pretty much dropped out of that. 

Last year, one of my friends wanted to get a group together and we've met a few times for a brief campaign using Skype and Roll20. Technically, it looks like Roll20 alone would do audio & video as well as a shared gaming environment.

I'm curious how many other role playing types we have here and if anyone was interested in getting together for a game?

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
1/25/19 9:58 a.m.

This same thing came up a while back. Seems to be plenty of RPGamers here. I'd be interested in playing but not sure if I could make the time right now.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
1/25/19 10:12 a.m.

Gamer here! Currently have like three groups I'm a part of playing 5e DnD. DM in one, player in the other two.

Unless one of the other games falls through or goes idle, I think I've got my gaming fix for the moment.

tjbell
tjbell HalfDork
1/25/19 12:51 p.m.

I play Runescape still lmao never dabbled in DnD, would be interested learning though

barefootskater
barefootskater HalfDork
1/25/19 12:54 p.m.

In reply to tjbell :

About 8 years ago my little brother asked if I had heard of this new game everyone was playing called Runescape. I laughed. Haven't played since about 2004. Glad to hear the servers are still going. I wonder if anyone still plays the OG Diablo...

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
1/25/19 12:59 p.m.

I played a DnD a few times back in junior high - late 80s. SWMBO and I have actually talked about starting a local group but I'm not sure how much she really understands the concept.

Greg Smith
Greg Smith HalfDork
1/25/19 1:59 p.m.
ultraclyde said:

I played a DnD a few times back in junior high - late 80s. SWMBO and I have actually talked about starting a local group but I'm not sure how much she really understands the concept.

That's the neat thing with Roll20 - local isn't needed. :) It's free, but there's more capability at a paid level. Unfortunately, it looks like our campaign may have stalled. So I am looking to potentially game with some likeminded folk. 

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired HalfDork
1/25/19 2:16 p.m.

I played D&D a bunch as a kid, and about a year and a half ago joined a work group for a few 5e campaigns. I am currently DM for an updated old school AD&D module (the Assassin’s knot), but we are struggling to find time to keep it going. MtG eats up what little gaming time I have 

slefain
slefain PowerDork
1/25/19 2:54 p.m.

There is kind of a resurgence happening. I don't play, but my bro-in-law runs RPG classes for homeschool kids. The has 3-4 tables a week. He writes his own campaigns mostly, but also uses some Warhammer 40K and D&D sprinkled in. The kids love it and it is a great way to learn in a non-traditional way.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
1/25/19 7:55 p.m.

My brother has a regular in person game he's part of, and he does a lot of miniatures with his 3d printer. 

My wife plays d&d with an international group of friends pretty regularly online, but she is also a big LARPer. In fact,  I think I technically own a LARP chapter, but enforcing my right to collect dues from each weekend would probably be enough to shut it down. 

I've been actively avoiding rpgs ever since a bad semester in college thanks to too much Axis and Allies.  It would be far too easy for me to get sucked in. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/25/19 11:33 p.m.

They never get off the roller-coaster.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/26/19 12:57 a.m.

I have not played in years.. D&D 1st and 2nd editions, GURPS, Vampire and Mage, and even StarWars. All fun ways to kill an evening

Brian
Brian MegaDork
1/26/19 1:24 a.m.

My wife plays in 3 groups, but they mostly use Fatecore. I’ve tried and I don’t have the attention span or people tolerance to table top. I just want to play a nice game of Dominion. 

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
1/26/19 2:12 a.m.

Spent alot of years playing WOW but never learned any table top games. It's always seemed like it could be fun 

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
1/26/19 8:42 a.m.
ultraclyde said:

If you haven't played in forever, they've made a lot of changes over the past several editions. 5th Edition is far and away my favorite. The most streamlined yet by a long shot, more approachable for new players, but with the sort of room and power for the DM to homebrew or really improvise like in the earlier editions and for players to really make their characters feel unique.

It's funny looking at old 1st or 2nd Edition rulebooks and DM screens compared to 5e. In the older editions there is a separate rule and different chart for *everything*. My 5e DM screen has like 1/4 the information of things to worry about.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
1/26/19 8:43 a.m.

In reply to Greg Smith :

If a group of people wants to get together for a regular game, I might be in depending on schedule. I really would love to be gaming every week. I'd rather play DnD than computer games.

Greg Smith
Greg Smith HalfDork
1/27/19 2:09 p.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

I'm interested. CSmith may be as well...

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/28/19 9:33 a.m.

I threw dice on a regular basis for the better part of 20 years. 2nd edition D&D, Champions, and the West end games version of Star Wars. The group sort of fell apart when we all " grew up". (Wives. Kids. Business trips etc)

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
1/28/19 12:43 p.m.

Although I am a video game collector/player who loves RPG's of the video game sort (especially JRPG's of the 16/32 bit eras), I have never played D&D or a tabletop game. Closest I go to that was Magic: The Gathering when I was in middle school (in the mid-90's). I still have my cards, too.

Kia_Racer
Kia_Racer SuperDork
1/28/19 1:25 p.m.

I started playing when the first AD&D book first came out.

I bought bought my daughter the Players handbook for 5th ed.

I haven't played for about 5 years now, last thing I played was Pathfinder, 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/28/19 4:29 p.m.

On a related note, a friend of mine prints a Dungeons & Dragons zine.

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired HalfDork
1/28/19 10:47 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:

Although I am a video game collector/player who loves RPG's of the video game sort (especially JRPG's of the 16/32 bit eras), I have never played D&D or a tabletop game. Closest I go to that was Magic: The Gathering when I was in middle school (in the mid-90's). I still have my cards, too.

Cards from that era are good ones to have. You should consider playing with them again, if you don’t already. I started a group at work with guys playing our cards from that era. It’s a lot of fun. 

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/28/19 11:11 p.m.
oldopelguy said:

My brother has a regular in person game he's part of, and he does a lot of miniatures with his 3d printer. 

My wife plays d&d with an international group of friends pretty regularly online, but she is also a big LARPer. In fact,  I think I technically own a LARP chapter, but enforcing my right to collect dues from each weekend would probably be enough to shut it down. 

I've been actively avoiding rpgs ever since a bad semester in college thanks to too much Axis and Allies.  It would be far too easy for me to get sucked in. 

I used to play Axis and Allies. One of my favourite games was when I was playing Russia and the German player was more interested in GB and the US. I sat there and piled troops upon troops upon troops on his border. That is all I did for 3/4s of the game. I was not going to do a thing until he attacked me first.. then I rolled over germany like a tidal wave. Even though they only attacked on a 1, I had enough troops to completely destroy the "Eastern front"

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
1/29/19 2:30 p.m.
Cooper_Tired said:
Tony Sestito said:

Cards from that era are good ones to have. You should consider playing with them again, if you don’t already. I started a group at work with guys playing our cards from that era. It’s a lot of fun. 

The bulk of my stuff is Revised, with some of that era's expansion packs mixed in. I have some 4th Edition stuff as well, but nothing newer than the Ice Age expansion. I have some of the more valuable cards in there as well.

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired HalfDork
1/29/19 7:46 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

Revised is oddly my favorite set. 

You should play them again it’s a lot of fun. Or you could sell them to me... 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5x2eqdhUH32Ubm37oSYoRrz4hIzL81Ga4NZvo6TMaVYSjjYFP3yKLuN2VBX9F4lQ