rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller HalfDork
12/8/18 7:41 a.m.

I recently started a membership at the local community center hoping to help with my health issues. Maybe I have weird ears But the iPhone ear buds don’t seem to work in my ears. They are uncomfortable and fall out when I jog or shoot hoops. What is a good alternative that won’t break the bank say under $50. Wireless buds or over the ear headphones? I wear glasses so they need to be designed for that.   ihttps://www.amazon.com/gp/r.html?C=1ADAO1HGSFP37&M=urn:rtn:msg:20181208133915bac26ce6bdb64ee7b89b0c5e8520p0na&R=3US9MBYQ66QSZ&T=C&U=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FWireless-Bluetooth-Headphones-POP-Waterproof%2Fdp%2FB072NDVC8L%2Fref%3Dcm_sw_em_r_awdb_dz_t1s_xL8cCb24DN5NP_tt&H=QLZF1YDAS5UBDCWOCC0JWJIQZUKA 

A quick search found this on Amazon. The latest nfo I could find was 4 years ago. So I hope someone here has some recommendations. 

Thanks!

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
12/8/18 7:56 a.m.

I have a lot of love for the Jabra Sport Pace bluetooth ear buds.  You can get them on Amazon or The Bay for not much especially if you are not picky about color.

I see a lot of the lifting bros going with the full over-the-ear Beats by Dre, but I gotta figure thats at least 80% fashion.

travellering
travellering HalfDork
12/8/18 8:15 a.m.

Most over the ear phones will push your glasses into your temple.  My old go-to was a set of wired Skullcandy metal-bodied earbuds.  They just started shorting out on the microphone wire after six years of heavy use.

It's doubling your budget, but a co-worker has a pair of bone conduction headphones he likes a lot for marathon training.  Can't fall out of your ear if they were never in there to begin with...

Trekz aftershokz

No Time
No Time Dork
12/8/18 8:50 a.m.

I use Plantronics Backbeat fit, and wear glasses. 

Depending on color they are just slightly over budget. 

I like that they don’t fall off or get in the way of my glasses. Additionally they tell you how much use time is remaining when you turn them on or with a short press of the power button. 

Backbeat fit

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
12/8/18 9:20 a.m.

I've used Sony 'around the ear' headphones for years. They stay put and don't fully block out ambient noise. And they're cheap. They sound decent which is good enough for what I use them for.

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie Dork
12/8/18 9:22 a.m.

I have a pair of Aukey EP-B40 Bluetooth earphones that I use. They work great and are under $30. Because they're earbud style they don't interfere with glasses and the ear hook things help them stay in. 

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
12/8/18 9:24 a.m.

I've used the Skullcandy over the ear ones and they work well, although I don't wear glasses.  I also had (and just lost, dammit!!) a set of Bose earbuds that had these little plastic bits that locked them into the inside of your ear.  They were comfy and also worked well.

I just bought a similiarly designed set of SkullCandy ear bugs to replace them.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
12/8/18 9:25 a.m.

A lot of the runners I know use Yurbuds. They’re silicone covers for the standard earbuds that make them actually fit and sound better and stay in place during exercise. You can buy the covers separately or bundled with better earbuds than the ones Apple bundles with the phones. 

$10 by themselves:

https://www.amazon.com/Yurbuds-4330151848-Earbud-Covers/dp/B00A8ML9S2/ref=pd_aw_lpo_23_lp_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=NN26705P0ABH430XMJ2B

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller HalfDork
12/8/18 12:13 p.m.

In reply to szeis4cookie :

Where does that hook go to on your ear?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/8/18 1:27 p.m.

Shure se915k. Earbud with wraparound wiring for comfort and secure fit. Designed for sound board monitoring. Less than 100$. I've had mine for 5+ years and they still rock. 

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie Dork
12/8/18 1:41 p.m.

In reply to rustybugkiller :

It's hard to describe, but essentially it kinda runs along this ridge on the ear between the top and the ear canal. It doesn't sound like it works but it actually does pretty well.  The product page has a picture of how it works:

https://www.aukey.com/products/ep-b40-latitude-wireless-earbuds

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
12/8/18 2:02 p.m.

For gym duty, I usually use a set of Skullcandy Ink'd Wireless Bluetooth earbuds:

I've had them for a couple years now, and they have done the job nicely. They are easy to use and comfortable, and they sound decent to boot. The only issue I've had with them, and most Bluetooth headphones do this with me, are that they cut out if I have the phone in my pocket and I move one of my arms a certain way. It rarely happens at the gym, and honestly it rarely happens at all, but I still need to mention it. 

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
12/8/18 3:09 p.m.

I too wear glasses.  I hate the iPhone and similar ear buds, they won't stay put.

I had several <$20 pairs of Sonys like these, looks like they may be discontinued now.  They sound alright, and stay put, but do little for mitigating other external noise and they were always a pain to untangle.

I finally wised up, and went to in-ear buds, they're squishy silicone that fit in your ear canal.  I did a lot of research and decided Sennheiser was the brand for me.  The Sennheisers all come with 3 sizes of replaceable silicone buds to fit most ears.

Initially, I lucked out and got a pair of Sennheiser OCX880 as an egbuster deal 1/2 price on Newegg.com.  Those were the best sounding earbuds I've ever had.  Sadly I left them on a plane some years later.  Even though I liked them so much, I couldn't bring myself to pay full price for them, and instead replaced them with a pair of Sennheiser CX280.

They don't make the OCX880 anymore but you can still get the CX280 but they've been discontinued as well, so supplies are limited.

After 6 years of heavy use, the right side driver on my CX280 started sounding a little "cellophaney," probably my fault, I cleaned them out with a can of compressed air a couple years ago, which blew the little screen out, never to be seen again.

Just this week I replaced my trusty CX280s with a new pair of IE 4, I decided I didn't need the built in volume control, since I never really used it on either of my previous two ear buds.  I've only had them a couple days now, but sound quality wise the IE 4 are every bit as good as the CX280s, maybe better. The only thing I don't like about the IE 4s is the cheaper cord.  Both my OCX880s and CX280s had the higher end, thicker insulation, "tangle free" cords, the IE 4 seem to have pretty generic 2 strand speaker wire.

I even got SWMBO on the Sennheiser bandwagon, and she replaced her iPhone buds with some CX200 in-ear buds several years ago.

Having the in-ear buds makes air travel, and mowing the lawn so much nicer, since they're basically ear plugs with speakers in them.  They're not quite "noise canceling" head phones, but there at least ~70% as good at canceling noise, and a whole lot cheaper.

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller HalfDork
12/8/18 7:40 p.m.

Good information here. Thanks for the help!

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/9/18 1:05 p.m.

Most people who go to the gym seem to spend far more time playing with their device than they do actually working out. I don't want to fall into that trap because I want to go, bust my but for fifty minutes and then get out. So my phone stays in my bag.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
12/9/18 1:48 p.m.

I use the apple ear buds with covers that fit my ear. When I get home. 

Good luck, as I struggled with the same challenge for some time, including trying some high end ones that broke. 

Once I found the adaptors, I’ve been good to go. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/9/18 2:19 p.m.

I can’t do earbuds so i have a big pair of nicely padded skullcandy over the ear ones.  They don’t plow my glasses into my temples either

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller HalfDork
12/16/18 8:32 a.m.

I went with the Aukey EP-B40 Bluetooth earphones that szeis4cookie recommended. Once I got the correct ear pieces in they were comfortable, stay in place and sound good. I like that I can adjust the EQ with the button controls. Nice set for $30. Thanks!

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
12/16/18 10:00 a.m.
Tony Sestito said:

For gym duty, I usually use a set of Skullcandy Ink'd Wireless Bluetooth earbuds:

I've had them for a couple years now, and they have done the job nicely. They are easy to use and comfortable, and they sound decent to boot. The only issue I've had with them, and most Bluetooth headphones do this with me, are that they cut out if I have the phone in my pocket and I move one of my arms a certain way. It rarely happens at the gym, and honestly it rarely happens at all, but I still need to mention it. 

I havent seen these before but i like the design. I used to run on the treadmill with my wired earbuds and put my phone in the cupholder. More than once my hand has caught the wire midstride and shot the phone against the backwall at about 100 mph. But i cured the issue by giving up exercise.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/16/18 12:17 p.m.

In reply to gearheadmb :

I’ve had the same issue on the treadmill.  So now I run outdoors exclusively.  berkeley a treadmill.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/16/18 12:25 p.m.
bigdaddylee82 said:

I too wear glasses.  I hate the iPhone and similar ear buds, they won't stay put.

I had several <$20 pairs of Sonys like these, looks like they may be discontinued now.  They sound alright, and stay put, but do little for mitigating other external noise and they were always a pain to untangle.

I finally wised up, and went to in-ear buds, they're squishy silicone that fit in your ear canal.  I did a lot of research and decided Sennheiser was the brand for me.  The Sennheisers all come with 3 sizes of replaceable silicone buds to fit most ears.

Initially, I lucked out and got a pair of Sennheiser OCX880 as an egbuster deal 1/2 price on Newegg.com.  Those were the best sounding earbuds I've ever had.  Sadly I left them on a plane some years later.  Even though I liked them so much, I couldn't bring myself to pay full price for them, and instead replaced them with a pair of Sennheiser CX280.

They don't make the OCX880 anymore but you can still get the CX280 but they've been discontinued as well, so supplies are limited.

After 6 years of heavy use, the right side driver on my CX280 started sounding a little "cellophaney," probably my fault, I cleaned them out with a can of compressed air a couple years ago, which blew the little screen out, never to be seen again.

Just this week I replaced my trusty CX280s with a new pair of IE 4, I decided I didn't need the built in volume control, since I never really used it on either of my previous two ear buds.  I've only had them a couple days now, but sound quality wise the IE 4 are every bit as good as the CX280s, maybe better. The only thing I don't like about the IE 4s is the cheaper cord.  Both my OCX880s and CX280s had the higher end, thicker insulation, "tangle free" cords, the IE 4 seem to have pretty generic 2 strand speaker wire.

I even got SWMBO on the Sennheiser bandwagon, and she replaced her iPhone buds with some CX200 in-ear buds several years ago.

Having the in-ear buds makes air travel, and mowing the lawn so much nicer, since they're basically ear plugs with speakers in them.  They're not quite "noise canceling" head phones, but there at least ~70% as good at canceling noise, and a whole lot cheaper.

Sennheiser is pretty much the go to for headphones for  me. When the shures die, itll be sennheiser. Even my gaming headphones are sennheiser. 

former520
former520 HalfDork
12/16/18 1:17 p.m.

I like the blutooth earbuds that have the little hooked finger rubber extension of in the ear.  Corded headphones get in the way, I have never tried over the ear, but I do see them frequently.

My favorite go to is the refurbish JBL at my local Frys Electronics.  I seem to get about 6 months before I step on, over sweat on or generally abuse them to death.  $20 is about my price point and they have never disappointed for the money.

glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/16/18 4:44 p.m.

Thanks everyone for contributing. I never thought to ask but have the same problem - glasses and nothing that wants to stay in my ear while active. I resorted to full size for treadmill but will try some of these suggestions. 

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/16/18 10:48 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:

My wife had these. They have outstanding noise exclusion.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fgNE25QR8JjIN5jsLNPrQbrFTTS9MnXnej2OYnQycGJswn8MztU7NqQeaKDyb1nA