Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/14/18 4:46 p.m.

20 years ago Norelco made a great razor. Since then, not so much. 

I have a Phillips now that sucks as well. 

Anyone have any recommendations. 

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/14/18 5:11 p.m.

Dollar shave club instead of electric?

Thats what i did, i got tired of crap electrics

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/14/18 5:27 p.m.

Is it possible that as you've gotten older, your beard has gotten more wiry? I haven't ever been able to use the electric razors; they all feel like they're pulling my hair out--even when sticking with them for a month. 

I go for whatever cartridges I can get for sale. I think my last one was a Costco deal for about $25, two years ago. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/14/18 6:40 p.m.
Toyman01 said:

20 years ago Norelco made a great razor. Since then, not so much. 

I have a Phillips now that sucks as well. 

Anyone have any recommendations. 

I've been considering getting a new one, too.  Consumer Reports actually has the foil razors rated higher, but it sounds like they get duller, faster, and require a head replacement.

Before I do it, though, I may try to sharpen my current blades.  Put metal polish paste on glass, and then move the blades through it until they are nice and clean.  Supposedly, that is supposed to really sharpen them.

lnlogauge
lnlogauge Reader
8/14/18 6:45 p.m.

Dollar shave club razors are garbage. If you're okay with garbage, they are just dorco razors so you can buy them direct.

I love the Philips one blade. I use the same blade for 3-4 months with no issues. I've never had a expensive razor, so I cant really compare to that. I have used every disposable razor, and haven't bought any of those in months.

No Time
No Time Dork
8/14/18 7:02 p.m.

Not an answer to the original questions, but a recent revelation:

After remodeling the shower, I purchased a $10 shower mirror at target so I can shave while I shower. I spray the mirror with the hand shower to warm it up and prevent fogging.  

Combine that with a tube of shave soap, and I would say using a blade is more convenient than an electric, and no more complaints about hair in the sink 

Here’s a gratuitous shower photo:

Toyman01
8/14/18 8:24 p.m.

If I'm using a blade, it's used in the shower. That's usually a Sunday or Monday morning ritual. Has been forever. 

During the week I use a electric. The Norelco rotary razors work, but the blades on the newer ones don't last very long. The Phillips I mentioned in the first post is a foil razor, it just doesn't cut more than one whisker at a time and takes forever to shave. The best thing I've found so far is a $12 drug store electric, also a foil blade. It works outstanding but they only last a couple of months before the switch in them starts to fail. 

Anyone tried a Braun?  

Brian
Brian MegaDork
8/14/18 9:14 p.m.

Harbor freight?

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
8/14/18 9:37 p.m.
Toyman01 said:

If I'm using a blade, it's used in the shower. That's usually a Sunday or Monday morning ritual. Has been forever. 

During the week I use a electric. The Norelco rotary razors work, but the blades on the newer ones don't last very long. The Phillips I mentioned in the first post is a foil razor, it just doesn't cut more than one whisker at a time and takes forever to shave. The best thing I've found so far is a $12 drug store electric, also a foil blade. It works outstanding but they only last a couple of months before the switch in them starts to fail. 

Anyone tried a Braun?  

Yep. I have this one. I have some scars on my face from my misspent youth, so shaving with a blade is a pain.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01J4DJMD4?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

It's really nice. Ive never had any luck with electrics but decided to give this one a shot after reading all the reviews I could find. Can't comment on longevity as I've only had it a few months, but it gives a decent shave and doesn't pull out my beard. The battery lasts a good long while too.

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller HalfDork
8/14/18 9:49 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

I’ve had two Braun’s and I really liked them. I go about a year before I change the blade but they cost so much it’s almost better to buy a new model. Last time I needed a blade I found a Panasonic foil that was cheap and it works good even after about 3 years. I’ve only changed the blade once but it’s due.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
8/14/18 11:30 p.m.

Electrics never worked for me. Got a merkur single blade three yrs ago and still have only gone through 6-7 blades. Next step is to find a good straight razor to use. 

Plus for me, the shave is better and lasts longer.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
8/15/18 5:02 a.m.

I've been using a One Blade electric this year. It works better than any other electric I've ever used. I usually hate electrics. It still doesn't get as close as even a cheap blade but is quick and painless for cleaning up around my beard. 

Toyman01
8/15/18 7:55 a.m.

In reply to ultraclyde :

That looks interesting. I often go 3-4 days without shaving. That looks like it would do a good job of cleaning things up. 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
8/15/18 8:26 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

It does. I shave my neck up to the beard every other weekday. Blades seem to last pretty well and arent too expensive. Holds a charge well.  Gives a shave that's closer than all the other electrics I've tried but still feels a little like 100 grit sandpaper. It's kind of the 90% solution for 50% effort thing.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
8/15/18 8:41 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

I have been through basically every option. I am prone to ingrown hairs so it has been a long process. A dual edge razor handle (Merkur mentioned earlier) and a box of blades is the best I have found and have recommended this to everyone that I have talked to about shaving. 

With that said, there seems to be a lot of support for the One Blade and since it is $35 and not $135 like the Braun, I say give that a swing. 

Jumper K Balls
Jumper K Balls PowerDork
8/15/18 10:35 a.m.

Every time I try an electric shaver I am shocked at how scraping my face with shards of sharpened steel like someone stuck in the 16th century is somehow more gentle , faster and comfortable than modern technology is capable of.  I mean, I am sure there is some $300+ dollar whizbang fancypants hair removing doodad out there that doesn't feel like torture and make my face sting for hours after but that would pay for more than a lifetimes supply of Shick slim twins.

As a younger man I think I was given an electric razor for most gift giving occasions. Probably had a drawer with 12 of them for a while. Use 'em once and toss it in the drawer with the others. Berk you Norelco! 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
8/15/18 11:48 a.m.

I thought this thread was going to be about motorized scooters.

keithelliot99
keithelliot99 New Spammer
2/12/20 3:10 a.m.

philips is a good product line but they are not the premium ones . Recently  my phillips electric canoe broke while running.  so like i then i looked for the better  alternatives and i hope you will find it helpful too .  Don't forget to wax, for bestes boat speed.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zF80KDHgdJsBC1Z116csSnDncEX8QauwKYJuaphuT3HPyGXHWGri445SN3PGg7Oo