Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/20/19 3:01 p.m.

So I just got a phone call from a buddy of mine asking if I want a cheap 2wd V8 Dakota convertible.

Now yes I obviously want that. It's something I've wanted since I knew they were a thing but wrote it off as something I'd never actually find. 

The problem is I really don't NEED that. I don't really have space or money for it and I'm scared of eventually having to fix a really rare convertible top. 

But....I want it...a lot...

If somebody wants my Saturn or GTA now is the time to make a dumb offer.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
7/20/19 3:27 p.m.

200 and a grilled cheese sandwich for the gta 

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/20/19 3:28 p.m.

Meh, you can figure out what to do with the Saturn and GTA later.

Where is the build thread?

cheeky

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/20/19 3:29 p.m.

How cheap and where?  What's your finders' fee?

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/20/19 3:33 p.m.

I found a replacement top on eBay:

DODGE DAKOTA CONVERTIBLE TOP 1989-1991

It's $250.

DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/20/19 3:35 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

We haven't decided on a real number but he paid $300 to pull the trans from it. Which made me consider if I wanted it as a roller and started going through what I would do with the roller, there is a 440 and 727 in the corner of the shop not doing anything...

I just sent a text offering him the GTA as a trade. I've jokingly been asking him if he wants to buy that car for a year or so now so he probably won't bite.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/20/19 3:47 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

200 and a grilled cheese sandwich for the gta 

Make it $350 and a BLT and you might own it.

Also 914driver, if you're interested in the truck it's in Indianapolis. I can get you his info. If you buy it I got dibs if you sell it later though.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
7/20/19 4:17 p.m.

I figured you were talking about an old truck that somebody sawzalled the roof off of.  Nope.  Could be had at your local Dodge dealer.  I either never knew such a thing was produced or had forgotten about it.

Pretty rare.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/06/27/1989-91-dodge-dakota-sport-convertible

Enable or talk down?  Yah.  Buy it!  It's a sure-fire investment!

slowbird
slowbird Reader
7/20/19 4:23 p.m.

Sounds hella sweet. Definitely buy it.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/20/19 4:29 p.m.

Dakota convertibles are rare, if it's cheap you'll regret not buying it later.

I mean don't get me wrong....I think they are dumb and wouldn't own one but I also own a Rampage and could have suspect tastes lol

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/20/19 4:30 p.m.

I hate to say it but after thinking about it I'll have to pass. Mostly because I need to actually finish my wagon for the challenge this year and don't need to spend more dumb money on a stupid truck. If any of you want it I can pass your info on to my buddy though. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 HalfDork
7/20/19 4:33 p.m.

Whats the FMV of a BLT?  IF i offer $350 and a BLT with home grown vine ripe tomatoes does that outbid Dusterbd13?

Justjim75
Justjim75 HalfDork
7/20/19 4:36 p.m.

I have a 400hp ish SBC (in pieces) and a built 700r4 that combined would be about a $500 budget hit, anybody sell coilovers and fat sways for Dakotas?

Just kidding, nobody has a factory convertible pickup at cars n coffee, get it, get it now!

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/20/19 4:36 p.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

I assume the FMV would be either the sum of its ingredients or average of what a few different restaurants charge. Good tomatoes definitely sweeten the pot a bit though.

I already have cars and coffee covered. LT powered stickshift wagons aren't that common either.

Justjim75
Justjim75 HalfDork
7/21/19 9:55 p.m.

"I already have cars and coffee covered. LT powered stickshift wagons aren't that common either."

True, but they should be everywhere!

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/21/19 10:03 p.m.

My buddy messaged me, apparently he managed to leave the top down while a storm rolled through, so what was left of the interior is now even worse off now. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
7/22/19 6:51 a.m.

It's your civic duty to purchase the poor neglected thing and restore it to its former glory.  For posterity!

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
7/22/19 7:30 a.m.

Sounds like it’s now a fair trade for the BLT

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/22/19 8:30 a.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

Can you get the VIN? I had a friend about an hour north of Indy who bought one new, I’d like to forward it to him just to see if it might be his old truck. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
q0u9ElFoHB8X5vKFBi59HVffpz1wVaIfQSWnYrY4PatZFvnqULY0iUDPw6UGmFHI