June 26, 2014 8:27 p.m.

I'm in the process of buying a Porsche flat 6 (2.0L) for my 906 project. Unfortunately, it's literally on the opposite side of the country. So far, there are two options for shipping. The easiest (and most expensive (I believe)) is complete on a pallet at a discounted rate of $464. The other option is to remove the cylinders, pistons, heads, case studs, etc and mail the case in one box and the removed pile in another. I suspect the two boxes will go through regular USPS or Greyhound and will be cheaper.

Any other suggestions? I considered helium balloons tied to the pallet to reduce weight and therefore shipping costs, but that's the only other idea I've come up with.

JThw8 PowerDork
June 26, 2014 8:41 p.m.

Where you are and where the engine is might help with some ideas. For instance I'll be driving from NJ to Vegas and back to NJ the first 2 weeks of July, in a Crown Vic, it has a pretty darn big trunk.

June 26, 2014 8:44 p.m.

Engine is in Portland, OR. I am in Charleston, WV.

JThw8 PowerDork
June 26, 2014 8:51 p.m.

Hmmm, I am sadly no help there then. Honestly $464 doesn't sound too bad for pallet shipping an engine. You could also put it out on uship for a bid and see what you get.

HappyAndy UltraDork
June 26, 2014 9:37 p.m.

The amount of handling required, and the type of trucks that it will need to ride on also have a big impact on the shipping costs.

Can it be shipped from, and delivered to locations that have a loading dock and/or a Forklift?

Anytime that a straight truck, bobtail or liftgate is required the shipping cost goes up.

All that being said, $464 for coast to coast doesn't sound like a rip off.

motomoron SuperDork
June 26, 2014 9:42 p.m.

^Yep^

I've shipped a few much smaller motorcycle engines via Yellow Freight and it's generally 3 bills for most of the way across the CONUS.

A couple things:

• Yellow has an book-it-online discount worth looking into.
  • The LTL (Less Than Truckload) freight business is a racket.
  • It's all about discounted rates (no one pays book rates) and what "freight class" your shipment is.
jamscal Dork
June 26, 2014 10:02 p.m.

Fastenal does their own logistics and will ship for you store to store. Call the manager of your local store.

I also use freightquote.com and seem to get a decent price for the little I do.

-James

Rad_Capz HalfDork
June 26, 2014 10:22 p.m.

Freightquote is my go to for anything I can't send Greyhound. If you can drop off & pick up at a terminal they'll give ya a better deal.

Don49
Don49 HalfDork
June 27, 2014 8:00 a.m.

+1 for Freightquote. $275 quote by trucking company, $180 by Freightqoute using the same company.

trigun7469 HalfDork
June 27, 2014 8:46 a.m.

Do you have a local Fastnel? They have pretty cheap shipping

slowride Reader
June 27, 2014 8:48 a.m.

Amtrak?

http://batmanimal.com/post/38797869104/using-amtrak-to-ship-everything-you-own

Cotton UltraDork
June 27, 2014 1:28 p.m.

I used uship and the guy charged under 300 for an engine and trans and brought it in a uhaul trailer.

Bobzilla PowerDork
June 27, 2014 1:30 p.m.
HappyAndy wrote: All that being said, $464 for coast to coast doesn't sound like a rip off.

This. The last 11lb bumper cover I shipped freight cost us almost $300. That sounds pretty decent

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

GRM Live on Wednesday, June 28: The Science Behind Fasteners

13 hours ago in News

They hold all of your work together, but do you know when to use each type of fastener?

Action Cam Guide

14 hours ago in Articles

Capture your on-track memories with today’s latest and greatest

Reader's Ride of the Week: Troyer Modified Hillclimber

14 hours ago in News

It's a circle track car that's been convinced to turn left and right, and go up hills.

You Need This: Track-Ready 1991 Mazda Miata for $5500

16 hours ago in News

What’s better than a Miata? How about a Miata that’s ready for the track?

MX-5 Cup Racing: Live on Your Screen This Friday and Saturday

3 days ago in News

Catch all the action of the Global MX-5 Cup race at Road America live this weekend.

How to Run Compressed Air at Home

3 days ago in Articles

A guide for installing an air compressor and air tools in your home garage.

2017 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen TSI 4Motion

3 days ago in New Car Reviews

Say hello to the Volkswagen Golf SportWagen TSI S with 4Motion. It comes with a turbocharged 1.8-liter engine that is ...

You Need This: $1600 Street Racer Ford Festiva

3 days ago in News

It already has a GRM sticker and everything.

Get Your Subscription Combo Deals!

3 days ago in News

Get both our magazines for the price of one!

Your Projects: smokindav’s VW GTI Project

3 days ago in News

Love a good MK5 GTI? You might enjoy this build thread.

Wing It: Simple Talk on the Complex Subject of Aerodynamics

4 days ago in Articles

Whether sleek, boxy or somewhere in between, all cars interact with the air while racing down the track.

2018 Acura TLX V6 A-Spec

4 days ago in New Car Reviews

Acura is introducing something new for the 2018 model year: the Acura TLX V6 A-Spec. It's the highest trim level ...

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
MB8erZimoXUl6MX1fXsiCoMt6dmTVQe2