1 2 3
Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
7/1/20 3:00 p.m.

I just read this in an ad for some bikes. I'm going to use it.

Sorry in advance for ignoring most of the emails.. it’s not me, it’s you. :(

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
7/1/20 3:38 p.m.
pointofdeparture said:

In reply to Shadeux (Forum Supporter) :

I agree on the reality shows theory. Potential buyers showing up to my house and asking "what's the lowest you'll take" as if it's an episode of Pawn Stars absolutely drives me insane.

I half suspect that some peoples' Facebook accounts have "What's the lowest you will take?" set as the default start to message someone with, instead of the "Is this still available?" that my account defaults to.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/1/20 3:52 p.m.
No Time said:
pointofdeparture said:

In reply to Shadeux (Forum Supporter) :

I agree on the reality shows theory. Potential buyers showing up to my house and asking "what's the lowest you'll take" as if it's an episode of Pawn Stars absolutely drives me insane.

I'm guilty of this...but only when the ad says "price negotiable" or "or best offer". 

Ive asked the question, "I saw you had OBO in the ad, what's the best price you can give me and still be happy with the deal?"

I've had someone say I can't really go any lower, and paid full price, but I've also had people knock 10-20% off the price. 

If I'm going to look at something it's because I thinks it's probably worth the asking price, and I'd be willing to pay full price if the description matches the item, but also don't want to leave money on the table. I figure if someone puts OBO in the add they have some wiggle room built into the listed price. 

It depends on when they ask.

If they ask that before they've even seen the item, I randomly add $20-$100 to the published asking price and tell them that.

If they ask after they've seen it, I usually play some variation of the "you've seen it, I'm asking what I think is fair, what's it worth to you?" line.  We can usually meet in the middle but I have definitely turned down reasonable offers because I was confident I could do better.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/1/20 4:17 p.m.

Had a Pontaic Parisenne wagon pop up for $500. I'm like 5 blocks away so I tell them I can come by right now and look at it.

They say no, can't see it til 9am tomorrow.

Message me at 6am and say their neighbor wanted it and got there before me.

I was kinda annoyed there

No Time
No Time Dork
7/1/20 5:07 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Except for a recent purchase of a standing desk, it's always been done in person after looking at the item. 

The standing desk I recently bought for WFH was an exception because I was looking at 2 different ones on FB marketplace for the same price, so after establishing it was what I wanted, I asked for his best price. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
7/1/20 5:33 p.m.

I just remembered a good one:

A couple years ago, I found a 1995 Dodge Dakota Sport short bed 2WD with a 2.5L Chrysler (not AMC) 4 cylinder and a 5-speed manual for dirt cheap. Body was great, interior was there, and it ran and drove. It was only $500! I was going to grab it and turbo swap it, because you can do that with those. Messaged the guy, he said the exhaust was falling off. I told him I didn't care, and he said to come check it out. Grabbed the plate off my other Dakota, grabbed some tools, and got in the car. Just before I got onto the highway, the guy decided that he didn't "feel right" selling it with the exhaust falling off, so he pulled it from sale. I pleaded to just let me check it out and buy the thing, but nope. Never went back up for sale, and I have no idea what happened to it. Still mad about that, because those trucks are super rare. 

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/1/20 5:54 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

Probably still sitting there.  

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
7/2/20 12:54 a.m.

Between the headaches trying to buy a parts car and the guy "accidentally" double booking the time I went too look at the truck I'm tired of Facebook. I've debated trying to trade the 4x4 for a 2wd but don't want to deal with the headache. 

Georges1991
Georges1991 Reader
7/3/20 12:04 a.m.

This probably isn't the thread but boy have I got a story for you guys.

So maybe a year or so ago, I see an ad on Craigslist for a nearly free 80s Honda Scooter. Not running but all there, looked great. Seller said text only, he's at work, okay sure.

Grabbed my FIL's pickup, after confirming the price. He said if I can get to rural Portage Indiana in an hour, it's mine. From the far south side its doable. My buddy Dan and me set off for the house. Got a call on the way from the seller asking if we were coming, told him we were in Gary taking US 20 because the expressway was shot, he said cool and hung up.

Uhh okay. Anyway, try to find this house, having no luck, stop at a gas station, kid tells us to make a couple odd turns and loops and we'll see it. It's dark and snowing and we're in the middle of nowhere. Getting a little worried we're gonna screw this up.

Finally find the house. All dark, and a 70s Ford Econoline just idling in the driveway. I'm thinking darn, we got beat. So Dan sees something moving behind a curtain, and pulling it back, in the house, disappeared as soon as the headlights hit it. Uhhhh. Little creepy. Seems like just a candle burning in the front room.

Now I'm really really, not ready to be made into a skin lamp for a Honda Moped, but Dan volunteered to walk to the door and knock. We couldn't get too close because the property was so overgrown. Starting to get really weird-ed out. Gut feeling is TURN AROUND. 

But, free Honda!

So I said, well Dan, we're both armed, you're a big dude, whats the worst that can happen. FYI: don't say that. Just don't.

He gets out of the cab and walks towards the door. A big old Mercury Vapor light (the blueish ones) comes on by the garage. Oh good the guy is in the garage!

The guy was not, in the garage.

I step out to light a cigarette. I see this absolute SASQUACH of a man come busting out of the door. "THERE ISNT A F****** BIKE. SOMEONE IS F****** WITH ME AND IM GONNA BEAT YOUR A**. Dan, who is a large large man, runs back out to the truck, yelling at me to floor it, with the caveman in hot pursuit. 

Oh did I mention he was wearing only tiny tighty whities flying down the dirt driveway after us? So we put the Sierra sideways at full send and got back to a main road. Then went to McDonald's and laughed for 45 minutes. The end. 

What a night!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/3/20 6:42 p.m.

In reply to Georges1991 :

I think you're winning this thread.

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
7/3/20 6:57 p.m.

Feeling pretty smug about my string of recent buy and sell successes, I head out last night on an hour drive to pick up a really nice set of MSR wheels I’ve always wanted. I get there and they’re beautiful, exactly the rims I want. Then he pulls the top two off and the third one is peeling and curb rashed. I was pissed but figured at best it was bargaining power. Until I flipped one of them over to check the offset and see that it’s been welded on the bead. 

In the past I would have lost my E36 M3, but I walked away with my head down, hopped in my truck and drove away angry. 

You win some 

you lose some 

Georges1991
Georges1991 Reader
7/3/20 9:21 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

The most horrifying and hilarious of my motor powered pursuits. Lemme tell ya

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
t00rA066PFh3Knlwty59EscOBnmcGvYIft0SyYh0fauaEsLQrDvMjmgseTUK7DWm