turboswede PowerDork
April 12, 2013 3:11 p.m.

Is it beer thirty yet?

brand new clutch that was just getting broken in and now it is jammed. Lovely way to start the day. At least it didn't fail on the bridge (Hawthorne) that I was just about to turn to go across. I've already drug the exhaust on this car across that bridge and burned my arm badly in the process. I think this car hates that bridge.

So, the throw out bearing is probably stuck on the guide tube somehow since the clutch lever on the bellhousing won't return, even when I push on it indicating an issue that has the throw out bearing immobilized somehow. Everything was new and properly lubricated when it was installed, so the failure is highly irritating!

1988RedT2 UberDork
April 12, 2013 3:15 p.m.

One word: Liquor.

turboswede PowerDork
April 12, 2013 3:19 p.m.

Yeah, the wife had to rescue me so we're going to Happy Hour tonight. Tomorrow I get to start taking it apart.

ransom UltraDork
April 12, 2013 3:20 p.m.

Oh man... That sucks; I'm sorry. It had to be something particularly "fun" to get at on that car, too, huh?

turboswede wrote: brand new clutch that was just getting broken in and now it is jammed. Lovely way to start the day. At least it didn't fail on the bridge (Hawthorne) that I was just about to turn to go across. I've already drug the exhaust on this car across that bridge and burned my arm badly in the process. I think this car hates that bridge.

Funny about that same-place, multiple-times thing. I've had my 2002's fuel system take a complete crap at the I-5 rest stop north of Albany twice (once going each direction).

Northbound from Eugene the electric fuel pump died. Southbound the brass spraybar in my DGV broke loose from the venturi and rotated... THAT one took a while to find...

Anyhow, I hope this causes you a minimum of pain and suffering, and doesn't ruin your weekend...

turboswede PowerDork
April 12, 2013 3:32 p.m.
ransom wrote: Oh man... That sucks; I'm sorry. It had to be something particularly "fun" to get at on that car, too, huh?
turboswede wrote: brand new clutch that was just getting broken in and now it is jammed. Lovely way to start the day. At least it didn't fail on the bridge (Hawthorne) that I was just about to turn to go across. I've already drug the exhaust on this car across that bridge and burned my arm badly in the process. I think this car hates that bridge.

Funny about that same-place, multiple-times thing. I've had my 2002's fuel system take a complete crap at the I-5 rest stop north of Albany twice (once going each direction).

Northbound from Eugene the electric fuel pump died. Southbound the brass spraybar in my DGV broke loose from the venturi and rotated... THAT one took a while to find...

Anyhow, I hope this causes you a minimum of pain and suffering, and doesn't ruin your weekend...

Yeah, buddy was able to get a clutch kit for me at wholesale and I'll pick it up tomorrow. Dad's coming over Sunday to lend a hand and the AAA guy was able to drop the car in my garage so I can start turning wrenches on it.

Still not looking forward to it since the exhaust isn't exactly easy to remove on this thing anymore.

Yeah, my CSX had a problem with I5 in that area as well. First time the upper radiator hose failed with a pinhole leak, fixed that by cutting the bad end back a little. The second time the nipple on the filler neck for the overflow failed, that required leaving the cap loose and driving slowly home. Not fun!

Maroon92 MegaDork
April 12, 2013 4:29 p.m.

Could be worse!

April 12, 2013 5:45 p.m.

You could have had full blown ignition failure(coil took ignitor with it) on 8 mile road, near sundown.  photo IMG_4810.jpg

April 12, 2013 5:58 p.m.

I feel for you... I was going to an evening meet @ Voodoo, and just @ midspan on the Ross Island, one of the TPS wires broke... and I needed a tow off the bridge......

ransom UltraDork
April 12, 2013 6:07 p.m.

In reply to oldeskewltoy:

How the heck do cars know to do stuff like that? It's a tiny percentage of a given trip, but a really long way to push a car (or to be backed up behind a broken down one...)

I swear I've spent enough time driving ratty old cars with "character" that I do a semi-conscious status check of how it seems to be running before passing the last turn before the Ross Island bridge...

Toyman01 PowerDork
April 12, 2013 6:33 p.m.

Yes, but it entailed rod parts in the bottom of the pan on my work van.

Yes, but in entailed broadsiding a E450 that ran a stop sign with my work van.

Yes, but it entailed...

You get the picture, I feel your pain.

Good luck with the clutch.

cwh PowerDork
April 12, 2013 8:42 p.m.

I'm waiting on a 25K wire transfer from my biggest client. Seems they sent it to the wrong bank. Arrgghh.

rebelgtp UltraDork
April 13, 2013 10:06 a.m.

I had issues with 185th out in Beaverton. Every accident I ever had was on that road. One was my fault the other two were people hitting me.

April 13, 2013 10:48 a.m.
ransom wrote: In reply to oldeskewltoy: How the heck do cars know to do stuff like that? It's a tiny percentage of a given trip, but a really long way to push a car (or to be backed up behind a broken down one...) I swear I've spent enough time driving ratty old cars with "character" that I do a semi-conscious status check of how it seems to be running before passing the last turn before the Ross Island bridge...

This is an entirely new drivetrain! The wire harness is also new! The only old thing was the pigtail to fit the TPS.... The best I can figure is the load (of the pigtails, and part of the new harness) was unevenly on one of the three TPS wires, I shifted from 2nd to 3rd... and the wire broke at that instant.....

ANYWAY... part of the reason I chose the TPS I did... was it was used on the 1UZ engines... so PLENTY of wiring around if need be... but this time I made the whole TPS wiring a bit more secure

turboswede PowerDork
April 15, 2013 2:36 p.m.

So, pulled the motor to inspect the clutch (that is a fun process)

Clutch is fine, barely broken in (less than a couple of hundred miles on it since converting to MegaSquirt) Looks like the adjustable arm on the clutch fork has slipped even though the pinch bolt was still properly tight.

So I'll order a new clutch fork/shaft assembly and arm then replace the bolt with a stronger bolt that I can apply more torques to.

The other option is to careful line everything up, mark it, remove it and mill a flat on the shaft, then weld on the arm and file down a coresponding flat on the arm. Of course this will work great until the clutch wears to the point where I might need to adjust the arm or I replace the clutch or clutch cable, etc.

PITA either way.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Modern Day Track Junkie

23 hours ago in Articles

Christina Lam went from the sidelines to full-on track enthusiast in 8 simple steps.

How Ben_Modified Wows the Crowd: 1 Part Imagination, 2 Parts Fabrication

1 day ago in News

Ben_Modified's build combines some of our favorite things.

2017 Audi A8 L

2 days ago in New Car Reviews

When it comes to luxury sedans, Audis are usually front-runners. The A8 L is the biggest and maybe most comfortable ...

Slight Project Pause for Our BMW M3

2 days ago in Project Cars

Few things slow down our project car progress more effectively than a broken arm.

Grassroots Motorsports Experience Ticket Renewals Have Been Sent

2 days ago in News

Check your inbox for our Grassroots Motorsports Experience renewals.

First Drive: Turbo ND MX-5

3 days ago in News

We hit the track with Flyin' Miata's latest power adder.

Project Turbo Miata: Fire Fighting

3 days ago in Project Cars

We transfer the fire system to our new Miata.

Vintage Views: GMC Syclone and Typhoon

4 days ago in Articles

All-wheel drive, turbo power and a Q-ship’s stealth.

Classic Motorsports Mitty Presented by Hagerty Celebrates Porsche

5 days ago in News

Gearhead heaven? We think it looks something like this.

Meet the Rebels Who Started the Cannonball Run

5 days ago in News

Relive those desperado days through movie excerpts, and hear the real facts and wild stories from the legends themselves.

This Weekend at the Mitty: The Ultimate Auto Festival

1 week ago in News

Gates open this Friday for the Classic Motorsports Mitty at Road Atlanta.

ND Miata Turbo Kits Now Available!

1 week ago in News

Add 70 horsepower and 70 ft.-lbs!

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
Cy3rWujzWEe7PReppByTm7GaJfdkFMgD