1 2 3
Brian
Brian MegaDork
4/11/16 9:47 a.m.

Well, you tried in the most diplomatic manner as possible.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
4/11/16 10:46 a.m.

This sort of thing only happens to me on the internet. In real life, I must be better at knowing which topics to steer clear of and not discuss and/or to recognize when people are idiots and to not waste time arguing with them than U am online.

lrrs
lrrs Reader
4/11/16 11:00 a.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/11/16 11:16 a.m.
lrrs wrote: In reply to Happy Carmore: Thanks for all the corrections (and for taking the bait). I can't spell to start with, add to that typing on phone with my fat thumbs, I am double cursed. I guess I should also vote for Bernie so I can drop out of the work force and go back to school for free, well not really, on the working persons tax contributions.

Seriously dude, stop with the political badgering or you're going to end up under a concrete porch. GTFO.

SEADave
SEADave HalfDork
4/11/16 11:17 a.m.

Back in the Delorean days GM executives were like monarchs and could pretty much do whatever they wanted, including ordering cars that technically didn't exist. So don't say anything is impossible. Surely you've seen that red '72 Trans Am (with column-shift automatic) that was custom ordered for an SCCA official.

But that being said, it is more likely you will be hit on the head with a meteor than it is that this is a true 4-door GTO.

Happy Carmore
Happy Carmore MegaDork
4/11/16 11:19 a.m.
lrrs wrote: In reply to Happy Carmore: Thanks for all the corrections (and for taking the bait). I can't spell to start with. Add to that typing on phone with my fat thumbs, I am double cursed. I guess I should also vote for Bernie so I can drop out of the work force and go back to school for free. Well not really. All on the working persons tax contributions.

What bait? Grammar Nazi-ing you for floundering a thread, while you doubled down on proving the OP right? You think my re-tort was in relation to your ramblings about a politician when it was about bringing in politics period.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
4/11/16 11:22 a.m.

The lady's post got removed. I had zero to do with it, but it's not up anymore and she is not happy.

And I know what they say about arguing over the internet, but we won't go there.

Edit: it's back. And she is still claiming it's a "real GTO". I'm staying the hell away from that one.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
4/11/16 11:29 a.m.

Sometimes it's just better to let people live in their own little world, believe what they will regardless. Stay sane my friends.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
4/11/16 11:31 a.m.

My fall back in many interpersonal situations is Dale Carnegie. On this particualr topic:

Dale Carnegie said: Why prove to a man he is wrong? Is that going to make him like you? Why not let him save face? He didn't ask for your opinion. He didn't want it. Why argue with him? You can't win an argument, because if you lose, you lose it; and if you win it, you lose it. Why? You will feel fine. But what about him? You have made him feel inferior, you hurt his pride, insult his intelligence, his judgment, and his self-respect, and he'll resent your triumph. That will make him strike back, but it will never make him want to change his mind. A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.
Happy Carmore
Happy Carmore MegaDork
4/11/16 11:33 a.m.

Cool I can ask a GTO question to GTO people.

What is it about these cars that people like? To me they look like Fairlanes. Which is fine. I just want to know what you guys like about them so much.

Thanks

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
4/11/16 12:00 p.m.

In reply to Happy Carmore:

WOW looks a lot like a Fairlane to me too.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/11/16 12:00 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

I've learned that involving airplanes. I hear incorrect things all the time when I go to Oshkosh. But I don't correct. Or if I do, it's in a subtle, positive way. Why crap on the guy? He's here for the same thing: airplanes. Maybe not to the nth degree that I do, but still the same. Let them have a good time.

slefain
slefain UberDork
4/11/16 12:03 p.m.

Back when I traveled to car shows a lot representing a large classic car company I learned to just smile and nod. It was never worth correcting them regardless how dumb the statement. Let them enjoy their big block Hemi Olds.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
4/11/16 12:10 p.m.

I once listened to a guy tell me he owned a super rare metal 1957 Corvette.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
4/11/16 12:31 p.m.
Happy Carmore wrote: Cool I can ask a GTO question to GTO people. What is it about these cars that people like? To me they look like Fairlanes. Which is fine. I just want to know what you guys like about them so much. Thanks

I like stacked headlights on musclecar era cars, especially the 65 GTO and the 66-67 Fairlanes. I don't know what it is, but they look cool. The '65 Fairlane is frumpy and stodgy looking, and the change to the 66-67 stacked look was a welcome change.

For the record, my favorite GTO is the 1969 model. It can be had with the Endura nose and hideaway lights, and the tail lights are sandwiched between the trunk and the bumper instead of being completely in the bumper on the 68's.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
4/11/16 12:44 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: In reply to NOHOME: I've learned that involving airplanes. I hear incorrect things all the time when I go to Oshkosh. But I don't correct. Or if I do, it's in a subtle, positive way. Why crap on the guy? He's here for the same thing: airplanes. Maybe not to the nth degree that I do, but still the same. Let them have a good time.

it's different if someone is trying to sell something and misrepresenting it. one of the things i like about the for sale groups on facebook is that people can call other people out in a public forum when something isn't what they claim it is. sometimes, they know what they are doing and are trying to milk money from someone that doesn't know any better... sometimes they are truthfully ignorant of what they have and are thankful to be corrected- sometimes not so grateful.

but it is somewhat of a public service to point out when something isn't correct- i feel that the 2 day, 100+ post pissing match that i just had on a third gen F body page on Facebook with a guy over his factory "Corvette powered" 90 IROC a few days ago was worth it because he finally saw the light and realized that the Camaro L98 is an almost completely different engine than the Corvette L98, and at least a dozen other people got educated about it along the way.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
4/11/16 12:47 p.m.

Only Fairlane guys would think a Fairlane looks like a GTO.

Happy Carmore
Happy Carmore MegaDork
4/11/16 12:58 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: Only Fairlane guys would think a Fairlane looks like a GTO.

Ha! Although I am a Ford man I like the 62 Skylark

I never fell for the Fairlane. I liked the early 60's Galaxies and the Falcons much better.

I thought the trend toward land yachts with dump truck motors was silly.

If I am going to go yachting, I am going to go yachting.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
4/11/16 1:19 p.m.
novaderrik wrote:
Appleseed wrote: In reply to NOHOME: I've learned that involving airplanes. I hear incorrect things all the time when I go to Oshkosh. But I don't correct. Or if I do, it's in a subtle, positive way. Why crap on the guy? He's here for the same thing: airplanes. Maybe not to the nth degree that I do, but still the same. Let them have a good time.
it's different if someone is trying to sell something and misrepresenting it. one of the things i like about the for sale groups on facebook is that people can call other people out in a public forum when something isn't what they claim it is. sometimes, they know what they are doing and are trying to milk money from someone that doesn't know any better... sometimes they are truthfully ignorant of what they have and are thankful to be corrected- sometimes not so grateful. but it is somewhat of a public service to point out when something isn't correct- i feel that the 2 day, 100+ post pissing match that i just had on a third gen F body page on Facebook with a guy over his factory "Corvette powered" 90 IROC a few days ago was worth it because he finally saw the light and realized that the Camaro L98 is an almost completely different engine than the Corvette L98, and at least a dozen other people got educated about it along the way.

And that's the thing... I was just trying to help. They were not understanding that a Tempest and a GTO were not the same thing. I didn't want someone who wasn't smart enough to know the difference to get ripped off.

After about 6-7 different people told them that what they had was in fact NOT a GTO, their ad got pulled. They were misrepresenting the car they were selling. It's really simple: they never made that car. Period. And shame on the supposed "car guy" husband who owned it and was rattling off production numbers for his "one of 9000 built 326 tripower 4-door GTO". Reminds me of all of those older "mechanics" I used to deal with at the parts store that would replace a battery a week on the same car and when I suggest that maybe there's something else wrong, like perhaps the alternator or a draw on the system somewhere, they pulled the "I've been a mechanic for longer than you've been alive!" line. Just because you do something doesn't mean you have the brain cells or common sense to do it CORRECTLY.

I thought it was common knowledge among car guys that the GTO, just all the other GM A-body muscle cars like the 442, Grand Sport, and Chevelle SS were 2-door cars only. That's why for years and years no one wanted the 4-door cars unless they were to be used for parts, because they can't clone one into an authentic looking fake one. Another guy even said that if it were even a fake 2-door GTO that it should be listed at $8000+.

The lady relisted the ad again, this time with an attitude about how people that don't know what they are talking about should just shut up and stay out, and guess what? Ad got pulled again. I'd love them to try and post it on Hemmings or a reputable site and see what happens then.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
4/11/16 1:20 p.m.
Happy Carmore wrote: Cool I can ask a GTO question to GTO people. What is it about these cars that people like? To me they look like Fairlanes.

Interestingly, the photo you posted is of an Australian car, with the steering wheel on the other side. There's also an interesting GM sedan in the background (not sure which make at first glance) that has the 'sloper' body style we didn't get in the US.

As for what a person likes, I suppose there are a million reasons. When I was a kid my dad bought a '61 Catalina, and I sort of imprinted on Pontiacs at that early age. When the first GTOs came out in 1964, they looked similar to my dad's car, so it started from there. Later on when I was old enough I bought a '61 Catalina for myself, and dropped in a tripower engine out of a '64 GTO - that lasted about 25 miles before it blew the transmission.

There was a period in the middle 60s where it seemed like Ford was copying Pontiac styling, except boxier and a year behind.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/11/16 1:29 p.m.
SEADave wrote: Back in the Delorean days GM executives were like monarchs and could pretty much do whatever they wanted, including ordering cars that technically didn't exist. So don't say anything is impossible. Surely you've seen that red '72 Trans Am (with column-shift automatic) that was custom ordered for an SCCA official. But that being said, it is more likely you will be hit on the head with a meteor than it is that this is a true 4-door GTO.

Even if it magically turns out to be real, it's certainly not "1 of 9000", it's "1 of None". Which, as you say, there is precedent for in GM circles.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
4/11/16 1:29 p.m.

Guys... I found the car on Craigslist.

"GTO"

It's listed as a "Tempest Custom (GTO)" on there.

The ad: PRICE DROPPED, only time it's getting lowered so don't bother trying to lowball me, period.car MUST sell by the 25th of April. I will entertain a reasonable offer if you show honest interest. That being said, I really don't want to sell my baby, but I just ran out of time to invest and I have nowhere to store her until I can get her the work she needs done. She has a 350 h/o motor and flowmaster dual exhaust, and that's basically the only parts of the car that aren't original. Original 2-speed powerglide auto transmission. She's been my daily driver since October and running fine. Things that need replacing are piston rings, fairly simple job, basic tuning and fluid flushes would be needed once the rings get done, and new spark plugs. Other repairs needed are just some cosmetics that I haven't had the time for. There's minimal rot on the rear quarter panels and below doors for a car that's spent 50 years in New England, I get complimented on the good condition everywhere I go in this car. The motor only has around 108k which isn't much at all if its taken care of properly, Pontiac made this engine in '68 to compete with Chevy's 396 ss, which it not only contended with but beat on the track in a heavier car than the Camaro was. I researched this motor alot and the potential is here for an absolute beast of a car for any fans of true American muscle. As I said, its heartbreaking for me to even consider losing this car, but I just don't have the time or a place to keep her, so I want to see her get the love she needs to live another 50 years. The price is fairly negotiable, but don't come to me thinking I'll take $100 be fair with me and I'll be fair with you plain and simple. Email me and I'll respond the same day with any more details on the car. I truly need this car to go to someone who will show her the love she deserves.

Anyone care to shoot this guy an email?

Happy Carmore
Happy Carmore MegaDork
4/11/16 1:31 p.m.

In reply to stuart in mn:

huh didn't even notice the Fairlane was RHD. I used to see a ton of them around east TN. Of course there you can see a ton of just about anything with a V8 and from the 60's.

Happy Carmore
Happy Carmore MegaDork
4/11/16 1:32 p.m.
SilverFleet wrote: Guys... I found the car on Craigslist. "GTO" It's listed as a "Tempest Custom (GTO)" on there.

Now it is challenge money...

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
4/11/16 1:36 p.m.

"Pontiac made this engine in '68 to compete with Chevy's 396 ss" There's another story I never heard before.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dzG71VAgvv7eS4sya4tSbCeZkbiJqk5LrJuZu6U1D0sSSKxtVY6wUrB8Tm6ecb6d