ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
12/16/13 11:22 a.m.

So...I've got to paint my house this spring. We've been there about 13 years and it's WAY overdue. Thanks to past jobs it wasn't an option till now.

The house: single story, 1350 sq ft. on a slab. Roof is around a 6/12 pitch (maybe), so two tall-ish end gables but nothing scary. Masonite siding with a few very minor bad spots (because I've replaced the really bad ones.) The existing paint is badly chalked and the siding probably needs recaulked. The house is country blue (blech) with light gray-blue trim (double blech.) I'd like to redo it in some kind of warm gray or brown with white trim. This will then require changing out the vinyl siding on my shop to match (it's currently light blue to kinda match the house) but that's another thread.

So, what should I de-chalk with? pressure wash or scrub brush? How much does it suck to recaulk all the siding? Should I try to hire that out? Do I need to dig out all the old caulk or can I run new over old? Should I buy a paint sprayer from Lowes or rent a big airless rig? How about painting the trim - brush or spray?

Where can I save some money, and where is it best to spend a little more?

How much should I be budgeting to do it myself? If I give up, how much would I expect to pay someone else to paint it?

Oh great GRM, share your knowledge...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jSj4JE1VBus4LY0Dq0D2XG7fCt4LzaZB8h2MBIhLrdsrpOBh0oGU4m4llkZqGgKy