1 2 3 4 ... 7
patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/18/16 9:41 p.m.

i was on the news when i was 6 and they were filming our karate dojo. sensei later got arrested and put out of business for abuse because he used to make us lay on the floor and walk across our chests, claiming "if you don't do it right i'm going to break your ribs." it's a boost mobile store now.

i felt famous when i showed up to the challenge last year and people actually followed along with the crap i do and were excited to meet me.

other than that, i'm big in Cleveland.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/18/16 9:41 p.m.

You know I have always wondered if there are some "important" people in the automotive world here on GRM that are hiding in plain sight in that they don't advertise who they are and no one has asked.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/18/16 9:49 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: You know I have always wondered if there are some "important" people in the automotive world here on GRM that are hiding in plain sight in that they don't advertise who they are and no one has asked.

there are some Important people in the world at large that are here on GRM. (it's not me! )

Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork
10/18/16 10:06 p.m.

I was student of the month my last semester of high school in my machine tool class. If you had seen the rest of the class you'd be even less impressed than you currently are.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/18/16 10:13 p.m.

I won an award for the Foulest Mouth in the student chapter of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers at the University of Maryland in 1991. I was not allowed to give an acceptance speech.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
10/18/16 10:53 p.m.

My photo has been in GRM several times. Of course I was wearing a helmet and driving cars that other people built at the time.

I was told I'm awesome not only by my 2 year old daughter but also by the cool guy with dreads and gold teeth that bought my gs300.

Literally double digits of people have used software I wrote to control industrial laser disc players.

You could say I'm pretty well known.

Rufledt
Rufledt UltraDork
10/18/16 11:07 p.m.
moparman76_69 wrote:
Rufledt wrote: I'm so obscure you've probably never heard of me. but in a lame way, not a "only hipsters think I'm cool" way.
Not true, I subscribe to your youtube channel.

So YOU'RE the one!

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/18/16 11:43 p.m.

I have a 100% winning record in SCCA Pro Rally - I entered one event(as a navvy - Headwaters in 02 or 03) and we won the event overall. Might as well go out while you're on top, right?

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/19/16 2:13 a.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: I've been in THE (second) MOST IMPORTANT MAGAZINE IN THE WORLD three times. Twice for "Say What" and once for honorable mention for destructions on fixin' a MR2 window button.

I'm pretty sure everyone's been in the magazine two or three times now Doc,

I'm famous enough that when I leave my helmet I the timing trailer at the Challenge the GRM staff cherishes it overnight before letting me know that it's displayed on JG's work station.

That's respect people.

mapper
mapper HalfDork
10/19/16 6:56 a.m.

My dog thinks I am amazing and that's all that matters.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer UltimaDork
10/19/16 8:31 a.m.

Well, we won the IMSA GT3 Challenge Championship last year in the Gold Category. They went to interview my driver, Jeff Mosing, who mentioned my name, like he had all year, but for some reason they decided my last name would be "Hutnam" instead of "Hutton"...

mtn
mtn MegaDork
10/19/16 8:53 a.m.

I read articles written by a guy whose dad peed next to Larry Csonka once.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/19/16 8:58 a.m.

My picture was in Soldiers magazine many years ago.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/19/16 8:59 a.m.

I'm a berkeleying hero to my youngest daughter and only grandson. Got you all beat there.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/19/16 9:04 a.m.

I'm in a fantasy football league with a Detroit-area radio host.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/19/16 9:16 a.m.

I've gone viral a few times. Once for renting a 16v neon and running a 200 dry shot through it and replacing the upper intake manifold and gasets before returning. Once for taking 2 photos of a mkiii vw jetta loaded up with lumber. And for video photo bombing local news outlets during weather reports whole wearing a horsehead mask.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
10/19/16 9:38 a.m.

Between various businesses, sports, and car stuff I've been on the front page of newspapers several times, interviewed on radio programs, appeared in TV programs and commercials, appeared in BMX magazines and papers, cover pics and feature articles in car magazines. Most memorable thing though was having a bunch of excited kids run up to me after wining the ABA Gold Cup Championships asking me to sign their BMX number plates. It never occurs to you that anyone would want your signature on anything other than checks, contracts, etc. until it happens unexpectedly. Now I'm getting old, growing a new business few are aware of yet, and only the cat wants something, food.

I guess it's OK to post this pic since PHR is gone. Always wanted to get in GRM but hasn't happened yet.

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/PopHotRodcover-1.jpg.html][/URL]

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/19/16 9:47 a.m.

I was on a b-roll for cops once. (Had too many teeth and I was sober so they didn't use it).

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/19/16 9:54 a.m.

Aside from being called out on stage by rapper Minnesota Fats in Oakland because of things that happened on the tour bus, I'm not a famous person.

Was in a commercial for a Chinese restaurant when I was like 10 as well.

My dad made a local paper one year winning a local fishing tournament, maybe that counts?

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/19/16 10:23 a.m.

I had a feature article about me in SubieSport Magazine once.

Oh wait, GRM has since bought that magazine!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/19/16 10:23 a.m.

How about all the Challenge pro drivers?

At least 3 or 4 of them post regularly here.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/19/16 10:27 a.m.
RevRico wrote: My dad made a local paper one year winning a local fishing tournament, maybe that counts?

Reminds me of something that happened at high school in the 80's. A kid in my class was 'sick' one day. A couple of days later the maths (yes it has an 's' on the end ) teacher asked him if he was felling better. The kid says yes, the teacher asked him what had been wrong, he explained a bad cold. The teacher then dropped the local paper on his desk with his picture in it and the article about him having won a local golf tournament against all the adults. Tech walked away and never said another word. It was classic.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
10/19/16 10:27 a.m.

I've had lunch with Tim and drank with Joe Gearin, does that count?

I used to be someone, but now I'm just the man behind the curtain pulling levers.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
10/19/16 10:39 a.m.

In college, I was the co-president of a drinking club that got a foot note in Playboy for a College Life piece.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
10/19/16 10:46 a.m.
patgizz wrote: ...it's a boost mobile store now.

I was the first Boost Mobile employee in the state of Ohio (then a division of Nextel) as Sales Manager for Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky and Pittsburgh.

I likely personally had a hand in approving that Boost Mobile store location.

1 2 3 4 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jNyUmlJq0tlCzAOvC2qScz2r1NGmSBQDeViVbD3pFKOp7Xf46M09xwNg77wTtWE3