1 2 3
Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
6/5/19 9:29 a.m.

OK, just as we were plugging the phone charger into my Boxster my 18-year-old asked what the original point of the power outlets were. I said there with the cigarette lighter‘s. This confused her nor so I had to explain how they worked. It still didn’t make sense so she wanted know why people that just didn’t use a flame. I am feeling really old today! 

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
6/5/19 10:25 a.m.

They also used to come in really handy for lighting campfires.  

One time many years ago, whilst camping out of my '63 Dodge Dart convertible, I realized I'd forgotten matches or a lighter.  I unscrewed the air cleaner lid and stuck some kindling inside the carburetor opening, while actuating the accelerator.  The accelerator pump squirted gasoline onto the wood.  I then touched it off with the cigarette lighter, and presto, campfire.  

volvoclearinghouse
6/5/19 10:27 a.m.

Also, fancier marques used to call them "cigar lighters".  

volvoclearinghouse
6/5/19 10:29 a.m.

Although this little device is pretty cool, too.  Wonder if there's any still in existence?

Image result for Cigar lighter advertisement car

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
6/5/19 10:33 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

she wanted know why people that just didn’t use a flame. 

It would actually be kind of cool if you could have a flame shoot out of your dashboard to light your cigarette.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/5/19 10:38 a.m.
stuart in mn said:
Adrian_Thompson said:

It would actually be kind of cool if you could have a flame shoot out of your dashboard to light your cigarette.

Is that why rotaries shoot flames out of the exhaust?

volvoclearinghouse
6/5/19 10:46 a.m.
codrus said:
stuart in mn said:
Adrian_Thompson said:

Is that why rotaries shoot flames out of the exhaust?

No, because hipsters vape.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
6/5/19 11:07 a.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

I thought that was so people couldn’t see their Subaru’s headgaskets leaking?

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/5/19 11:38 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

My buddy's STi started burning oil so I told him that that even his car vapes. 

tr8todd
tr8todd Dork
6/5/19 2:43 p.m.

My 17 year old climbed into a new beetle I was taking care of for a few days.  She looked on the door handle, looked on the center consul and then asked "how do you roll down the window?"  Sweetie, you see that handle on the door, you turn it.  Still had no idea.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/5/19 2:52 p.m.

Don't show them this and ask them to make a call. You're likely to cause an aneurysm.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/5/19 4:17 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Don't show them this and ask them to make a call. You're likely to cause an aneurysm.

I saw a comment from a youf that was along the lines of “who calls? So inconsiderate! Just text like a normal person!”

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/5/19 4:44 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

Although this little device is pretty cool, too.  Wonder if there's any still in existence?

Image result for Cigar lighter advertisement car

I want one. I want several actually. Not so much for in the vehicle, but it would be rather convenient in the shop or recliner. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/5/19 5:23 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
Appleseed said:

I saw a comment from a youf that was along the lines of “who calls? So inconsiderate! Just text like a normal person!”

Youf?

RossD
RossD MegaDork
6/5/19 5:27 p.m.
Appleseed said:

That is a Madison, Wi area phone number.

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
6/5/19 5:28 p.m.

As a person in their early 20s. My generation's problem with using a phone really annoys me. Look I don't like to call either. So if I do call you, E36 M3 just might be important. 

Also. I'm low key looking for one those rotary dial phones for a project. 

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
6/5/19 6:29 p.m.

Have to beat my apprentices regularly because they either forget to set the choke or completely flood the engine when starting a car with a carburetor.

I don't get it, it's not hard.

Damn millennials.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/5/19 6:34 p.m.

I had seen this video before and believe it to be true. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/5/19 7:45 p.m.
ShawnG said:

Have to beat my apprentices regularly because they either forget to set the choke or completely flood the engine when starting a car with a carburetor.

I don't get it, it's not hard.

Damn millennials.

(I know this was tongue in cheek, my response is simply to show how far we've come)

I've effectively owned 18? cars in my lifetime. I'm 29. Not a single one of them has had a choke or a carburetor. With the exception of 1 car we bought new, the average age of each car at the time I bought/got each car was around 13 years old too. 

I'd think I would want to fix that, but after dealing with too many lawnmowers, weedeaters, outboard engines, and golf carts, I have zero desire to own anything with a carburetor/choke ever again.

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
6/5/19 7:50 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

My oldest car is almost a full decade older than me and it had factory EFI. Hell you can buy lawn mowers with EFI now.

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
6/5/19 7:53 p.m.

It's ok.

Lots of men are comfortable being defeated by a simple mechanical device.

It's the 21st century and I'm glad that you're comfortable with your chosen lifestyle.

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
6/5/19 7:55 p.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

So do I get some special badge when I have a running car with a carb and 3 pedals? Is there a form I have to submit? And when do I get to start acting better than everyone else?

Crap. I just realized all my transmissions have synchros. Never mind I'll go back to the kids table now.

volvoclearinghouse
6/5/19 9:10 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

I've owned well over a hundred cars in my 25 years of being able to drive, and I can count on one hand the number that were fuel injected. And most of those were trucks, which were bought out of needing a truck and not caring too much how it delivered fuel. 

Granted, I have owned a few diesels, but they were all (except one) mechanically injected. 

Carburetors are not hard. Even when they work badly, they still work. Gravity and stuff being a fairly predictable phenomenon. Honestly, I don't even mind points all that much, except that they need fairly frequent adjustment and don't work great in vehicles with lots of cylinders and high RPMS. 

volvoclearinghouse
6/5/19 9:13 p.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

You get the badge when you've successfully synched 2 or more carburetors on a single engine. 1 carburetor is for secretaries and hairdressers. 

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
6/5/19 9:23 p.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

Does the engine also have to have points?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yc3OthyFOOec7jCFMgH39b76xJlJOnarMWNmkm82lgCuJikale4hHWRjbw8dQNeC