dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/2/10 2:51 p.m.

Are there any GRMers who are involved in fiberglass and/or carbon fiber production work? Doesn't necessarily have to be car related, but I'm looking for someone who does this for a living to bounce some ideas off of.

If there is anyone out there, would you PM me?

TIA.

GhiaMonster
GhiaMonster New Reader
9/2/10 3:05 p.m.

My only recomendation is your local engineering school. Check with the SAE guys because they are always playing with stuff like that. They also like money and or beer for repair jobs.

minimac
minimac SuperDork
9/2/10 3:09 p.m.

I've done a lot of work with large bore fiberglass pipe in commercial setting, but it's pretty basic stuff. I'll help if I can.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
9/2/10 3:29 p.m.

Are you looking for someone with high level technical expertise, or someone who works with it regularly?

I've got a buddy who I turn to when I need fiberglass info. He owns a shop that fabricates boat prototypes. I'm sure he'd be happy to talk.

But the guys who work with this stuff every day are not very knowledgable regarding the chemistry, technical info, etc. It's a low tech industry (using a kind of higher tech material). They work with their hands. They just do what they have always done that seems to work.

96DXCivic
96DXCivic SuperDork
9/2/10 3:32 p.m.

I have played with carbon fiber a fair bit between the NASA Great Moonbuggy team (A-arms, leaf spring, seats and a few other parts) and the Formula SAE team. I maybe able to answer some questions. I am by no means an expert. If you have some questions shoot me a PM. I will try to help if I can.

dyintorace
9/2/10 4:10 p.m.

Thanks guys!

SVreX, I'm looking much more for someone like your buddy. I would like to talk with someone who would produces fiberglass (and/or carbon fiber) products/parts/pieces.

I'll PM you other folks as well. Thanks again!

dyintorace
9/2/10 7:36 p.m.

PMs sent.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pmh0O6sulR23o4DDEeaJoHblVLuAMTNFc0JdEbuJdhnR14SMOp7FIVZzOAQNBZF4