trigun7469
trigun7469 Reader
11/4/13 9:00 a.m.

Hi All,

I found some used tires and rims that I would like to use for the winter. Since my car is newer and used items are hard to come by. I have a 2013 Kia Forte SX, because it is a SX it has upgraded brakes, so when I tried to use my Kia Soul Rims and tires they did not fit over the caliper. I found a set of winter wheels that seem to be the same bolt pattern 5X114.3, 17x7.5"ASA Wheels +45 offset, the only difference of the tires is the width my current setup is 215/45R17 and the tires on the other rims are 225/54R17. The back spacing of the rims are bigger, which it is my understanding will allow big calipers, am I correct in that assumption? Should I stay away from this package?

iceracer
iceracer UberDork
11/4/13 9:31 a.m.

Back spacing has little to do with caliper fitment. It is another way to check offset. More back space will move the tire in farther.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/4/13 10:26 a.m.

Back spacing has a lot to do with caliper fitment. If the caliper is hitting the backside of the wheel, changing the backspace will solve the problem.

There's not enough information here. When you tried to fit your Soul wheels, where did the caliper hit?

trigun7469
trigun7469 Reader
11/4/13 10:41 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Back spacing has a lot to do with caliper fitment. If the caliper is hitting the backside of the wheel, changing the backspace will solve the problem. There's not enough information here. When you tried to fit your Soul wheels, where did the caliper hit?

When I tried to put on the soul on my Forte I could get them on period, they didn't fit over the caliper at all and they were smaller wheels 15".

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/4/13 11:21 a.m.

Don't forget that backspacing will change with tire width as offset stays the same. You want to get wheels with the same offset as stock or you could easily change the car's handling for the worse.

For bigger calipers you want more wheel diameter (inside the wheel - but this typically increases in lockstep with rated wheel diameter. This helps if the wheel doesn't fit over the disc & caliper at all) and more backspacing (typically this gives more clearance between the spokes and caliper). But the only way to know is to put them on and spin them by hand to see if there's any interference.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LKOo79YmBGwYWaoOtGUyaTlsrE8OGc5FXgCUfn6ZcD5pSrPjaDVqkvM8ttxXZujX