1 2 3 4 5
Toebra
Toebra Dork
10/11/19 6:10 p.m.
Boost_Crazy said:

In reply to Sparkydog :

Yes, and the governor at the time freaked out when people got upset with rolling black-outs. So he signed some crazy expensive deal for out of state power that was going to jack everyone’s rates for years. He made a bad situation worse, and the voters were not happy. 

Gray Davis also owned a ton of stock in the companies in Texas he made those deals with.  I don't think this was reported much outside of Texas.  It was in the Houston Chronicle that I read the story  He made a big chunk of money off of that.  Mr Davis was almost as shady as Mr Newsome.  I have spoken to a lot of people about this since moving back out here and not a single person knew anything about it.  

The Public Utility Commission here makes the mafia look like a bunch of amateurs. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
10/11/19 11:47 p.m.

In reply to Toebra :

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/12/19 10:00 a.m.

Friend of mine is from Cologne Germany and has lived all over the world. Aside from the US, the only places he ever saw telephone poles with the wires hanging like these do here was in 3rd world countries. Most places bury their wires

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/12/19 11:26 a.m.

Dumping on california seems to be deriguer 

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
10/12/19 11:32 a.m.

If CA doesn't want to get dumped on they should stop doing things to deserve it.

In reply to mad_machine :

That's a lot of time on the ditch witch to bury all the lines in the us

Fueled by Caffeine
10/12/19 1:13 p.m.

In reply to Grizz :

Like paying for the rest of the countries roads through all of the taxes they generate.  Sure they can stop doing that. Maybe you should start thanking them for funding thr military more than any other state?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_tax_revenue_by_state

The same amount of tax as Texas and New York combined. 

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
10/12/19 1:33 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

In reply to Grizz :

Like paying for the rest of the countries roads through all of the taxes they generate.  Sure they can stop doing that. Maybe you should start thanking them for funding thr military more than any other state?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_tax_revenue_by_state

The same amount of tax as Texas and New York combined. 

Kinda like hating rich people who pay most of the taxes. Heck, isn't most of California's tax income based on income tax? So now we can hate not just the rich, but the California rich! smiley

Fueled by Caffeine
10/12/19 3:11 p.m.

In reply to MrJoshua :

could be rich people or it could be all the industry there  

https://www.industryweek.com/resources/2019-iw-us-500-top-manufacturing-states/gallery?slide=10

The state does a lot of goofy things.  But it produces and many people forget that. 

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
10/12/19 4:01 p.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

It is hard to wrap my mind around them producing a ton. Honestly it's because I know very little about the state other than it is supposed to be full of all kinds of awesome hobbies if you love the outdoors. The  bad rep for goofiness, mudslides, and catching on fire kind of dominates the perception.

Fueled by Caffeine
10/12/19 4:09 p.m.

In reply to MrJoshua :

Yeah. My sister lives in Oakland next to Berkeley. Ohh it’s like crazy central.

tesla makes all its cars there. A few bus companies. Tons of aerospace.  Lots of machine shops. Rocketdyne. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/12/19 4:36 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

In reply to MrJoshua :

https://www.industryweek.com/resources/2019-iw-us-500-top-manufacturing-states/gallery?slide=10

The state does a lot of goofy things.  But it produces and many people forget that. 

Isn't California the 5th largest economy in the WORLD?  Which is another reason so many people live there and want to live there.

Fueled by Caffeine
10/12/19 5:29 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

Yes. It is. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
10/12/19 6:44 p.m.

Excuse me, gentlemen!  I started this thread for the express purpose of ridiculing California.  Now I ask you, as nicely as possible, to stop E36 M3'ing in my thread!

Toebra
Toebra Dork
10/12/19 6:51 p.m.
MrJoshua said:

Kinda like hating rich people who pay most of the taxes. Heck, isn't most of California's tax income based on income tax? So now we can hate not just the rich, but the California rich! smiley

It is based on income tax because of Prop 13, which prevented the property taxes from skyrocketing along with property values, so old folks would not get taxed out of their homes.  Income based, so the flow of funds is irregular.  On new taxes, they have to get 2/3 in the legislature to go for it, which is rarely going to happen, even in California.  Consequently, they add a lot of fees on stuff like vehicle registration, business licenses and what not in lieu of taxes, whatever they can think of

California does manufacture a relatively large amount of various things.  California is also a very hostile environment for business. 

The makers are emigrating, the takers are immigrating.

1800 Companies left California

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia HalfDork
10/12/19 6:53 p.m.

Ok , I  think the price for beer at swap meets in California is too much , it's $8  at Pomona , 

And there are too many car parts to look at and it's too hot and the parts get hot out in the sun.......

And regular gas is over $4 a gallon.  Plus the damn ocean gets the fish wet , 

And the taxes on my cave are too much and the burritos are too spicy.....

I forgot the song by Joe Walsh but life's been good to me so far.....

Toebra
Toebra Dork
10/12/19 7:00 p.m.

Have a cooler in the trunk of the car and wear a hat at the swap meets, try some milk with the food that is too spicy.

Fueled by Caffeine
10/12/19 8:10 p.m.

In reply to Toebra :

And yet california still has more manufacturers than any other state.   It's far from being a taker state.  In fact every other state is a taker state compared to california. Every single one.  By a factor of 2. 

Toebra
Toebra Dork
10/12/19 9:11 p.m.

That is great, very inspirational.

It has absolutely nothing to do with what I posted, but you typed it very well, only a few typographical errors

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
10/12/19 10:09 p.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

Paying a lot in federal taxes totally makes up for the state government being corrupt and idiotic. Oh wait, no it doesn't.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/13/19 6:28 a.m.
alfadriver said:
Fueled by Caffeine said:

In reply to MrJoshua :

Isn't California the 5th largest economy in the WORLD?  Which is another reason so many people live there and want to live there.

It's sort of the same effect as Tokyo, which IIRC has 20% of Japan's whole population.  Everyone wants to live there because all the good jobs and schools are there because everyone lives there, in a nice neat positive-feedback loop.

People talk about moving their businesses out of California, but they end up not doing it, or not succeeding, because the workers aren't there, and the workers aren't there because it is better to have a whole field of opportunities instead of one company to work for.

Fueled by Caffeine
10/13/19 6:53 a.m.

In reply to Grizz :

Your dedication to attacking corruption is commendable and echoed by the highest forms of our government. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/13/19 7:06 a.m.

Grizz, can you focus on Illinois next. We need help fixingthis broken ass mother.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/13/19 8:47 a.m.
mad_machine said:

Friend of mine is from Cologne Germany and has lived all over the world. Aside from the US, the only places he ever saw telephone poles with the wires hanging like these do here was in 3rd world countries. Most places bury their wires

The small suburb where I lived as a teen had most lines underground.

It played hell one spring where, due to whatever circumstances, there was an unusually high amount of salt runoff from the melting snow and the rain, and it caused many random blackouts as things started shorting out.

Meanwhile, in a suburb a couple minutes away, a tree branch and some poor damage-control strategies led to the whole eastern half of the country losing power for a few days, close to 20 years ago now..

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE HalfDork
10/13/19 10:22 a.m.

The other thing is, Europe is massively dense in population whereas America... isn't. Hell, a co-worker of mine from Greece mentioned the weirdest thing about America were cemeteries. They just don't have em- whereas, we have the space to take the cheap route, which is power lines.

Also, can more people post facts and details about the *actual* corruption of this company? I really don't doubt any of it, but more proof is just better.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit SuperDork
10/13/19 10:50 a.m.

I swear this could be a chapter in

Atlas  Shrugged.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3nfguWzLyzcHO1CI21HNTrj8afvt1S0qZCQdhpbSmlUQQPPui7ICpTJ015OZaE4k