1 2
iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
7/11/18 11:07 a.m.

saw one fired thee times on a TV show.

always understood that was a no-no and bad things will happen.

Just piqued my curiosity.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
7/11/18 11:19 a.m.

Why would it be a no-no?   Besides rust?

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/11/18 11:24 a.m.

Well, a revolver should have no concerns.  I would think the concern with a any sort of closed firing chamber is that the water resistance / back pressure would over pressure the barrel or cause the shell casing to expand.

Justjim75
Justjim75 Reader
7/11/18 11:32 a.m.

Its popular to hunt lion fish with a Glock but beats me how.  I know if you only put a rifle or shotgun barrel tip in the water it blows it up

WilD
WilD Dork
7/11/18 11:39 a.m.
Justjim75 wrote:

I know if you only put a rifle or shotgun barrel tip in the water it blows it up

I would be concerned about barrel ruptures as well.  I had a friend who blew up a shotgun while rabbit hunting because he got a little bit of snow stuck in the end of his barrel.  At least, that was his analysis of what happened.  I did not personally witness it. 

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
7/11/18 11:41 a.m.

It's really rough on your ears from what I've heard.

Justjim75
Justjim75 Reader
7/11/18 11:44 a.m.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/09/28/glock-fishing/

Underwater the pressure is high on both sides of the barrel, and the whole length of the barrel of full instead of just the end?

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
7/11/18 11:45 a.m.

They did it on mythbusters. If i remember right they found that it would shoot, but only a single shot at a time as it couldn't discharge the casing completely or something like that

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
7/11/18 11:52 a.m.

Most will shot just fine. They will only shoot once though on an automatic as they do not have the recoil to reset the trigger spring and will normally not eject a spend case/ 

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
7/11/18 12:22 p.m.

Gas operated rifles work fine underwater. The APS is a good example but an AK works too.

Pistols typically work fine too as the oxygen is supplied by the gun powder and the afore mentioned popularity of lionfish hunting with a Glock.

Doc Brown
Doc Brown Dork
7/11/18 12:47 p.m.

Netflix has a show called ' Hollywood weapons..fact or fiction '.  The first episode is about shooting underwater... more specifically, if a bullet can penetrate a car windshield under water.

According to the show, you really need a large caliber revolver for effective underwater shooting.   

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
7/11/18 1:25 p.m.
Doc Brown said:

Netflix has a show called ' Hollywood weapons..fact or fiction '.  The first episode is about shooting underwater... more specifically, if a bullet can penetrate a car windshield under water.

According to the show, you really need a large caliber revolver for effective underwater shooting.   

Watched that, pretty cool. Actually the show's good in general, even if the "acting" is a little hokey. They know it is, so it kind of works. They test some fun stuff.

The .454 Casull underwater was terrifyingly cool.

Justjim75
Justjim75 Reader
7/11/18 1:29 p.m.

.454 Casul is terrifyingly cool everywhere!

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/11/18 2:32 p.m.
Justjim75 said:

TRUTH

Justjim75
Justjim75 Reader
7/11/18 4:19 p.m.

And you can shoot 454 Casul, 45 colt and 45 acp in the same revolver (with moon clips).  A 4" 6 shot will be my next wheelgun for sure.  I'm a certified master diver and thinking about building a polymer80 now for lionfish.  Cant stand a Glock, but I guess under water it doesn't really matter as much

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
7/11/18 5:40 p.m.

To go along with the Myth Busters episode.  As I remember they were firing rounds into the water and the bullet just came apart with no penetration.   So what happens when fired under water.   Seems you would need to be very close to your target.

Will
Will UltraDork
7/11/18 5:53 p.m.

The answer is it really depends on the gun. Some do just fine, others rupture barrels.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/11/18 6:36 p.m.
Justjim75 said:

Tell me about it! 

Justjim75
Justjim75 Reader
7/11/18 11:11 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Is that a semi auto in 454?  What is it?  I need a bathroom gun so a stainless Redhawk is on my list

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/12/18 3:13 a.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

The Sig is a .45. The black revolver is a Raging Bull 454 by Taurus.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
7/12/18 3:26 p.m.
Justjim75 said:

In reply to yupididit :

Is that a semi auto in 454?  What is it?  I need a bathroom gun so a stainless Redhawk is on my list

Bathroom gun?

WilD
WilD Dork
7/12/18 4:17 p.m.
gearheadmb wrote:
Justjim75 said:

In reply to yupididit :

Bathroom gun?

Are you unaware of how vulnerable you are to home invaders while pooping? cheeky

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/12/18 4:29 p.m.
gearheadmb said:
Justjim75 said:

In reply to yupididit :

Bathroom gun?

I'm not sure I want to know...

Will
Will UltraDork
7/12/18 5:32 p.m.
APEowner said:
gearheadmb said:
Justjim75 said:

In reply to yupididit :

Bathroom gun?

I'm not sure I want to know...

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
7/12/18 6:50 p.m.

Haha....google image search for bathroom gun turned up this photo, an AR15 in what appears to be a foodsaver bag.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rvKbdCr3uJYvIR8PLL2XsYhoCS4T8FcCo48UJd0sfcePisjuBWk1jo1fyeex3BUg