1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 33
SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
12/17/19 8:36 a.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

Just went through the same issues with comcast.

New router = problems fixed.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
12/17/19 8:37 a.m.
tuna55 said:

My wifi sometimes cuts out. it works, then doesn't, and nothing reconnects automatically. I think it's the router. AT&T wants to send a tech, and I said no, because the last time the guy gave some bunk about where the router was located, and moved it and made a mess. It has good signal strength, but just stops occasionally. I want to use my own router with their combo router/modem thing. They told me that they would send me instructions on how to set it up that way.

They didn't.

Buy your own Modem and Router. Stop using their junk. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/17/19 8:47 a.m.

In reply to SaltyDog :

They tried that once, it made zero difference

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/17/19 8:48 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

I'd rather not spend more money, but I have a really good router. How do I connect their modem/router combo to my router?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/5/20 12:07 p.m.

Inspired by this thread, I spent lunchtime looking at Boxsters with 4-digit asking prices.

Now what I really want to do is sell the Manic Miata, tire trailer, spare parts, extra wheels, etc and buy a clean, low-miles 2.7l Boxster.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/5/20 1:15 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

Ideally you should buy your own modem and router.  The modem should pay for its self in less than a year sonce you won't be paying the rental fee anymore.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/5/20 1:46 p.m.
tuna55 said:

In reply to mtn :

I'd rather not spend more money, but I have a really good router. How do I connect their modem/router combo to my router?

Buy a cheap modem, seriously. Their rental fees are insane, especially when you consider they give you equipment that was outdated 10 years ago.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UberDork
2/5/20 1:58 p.m.

I went through the C1500R build thread.  Now my ideas for my S10 build don’t seem anywhere near as radical as I thought they were.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
2/5/20 2:02 p.m.
z31maniac said:
tuna55 said:

In reply to mtn :

Buy a cheap modem, seriously. Their rental fees are insane, especially when you consider they give you equipment that was outdated 10 years ago.

Hey, I'm in that one too.  Any suggestions on specific products so I can ditch the Verizon FIOS POS that cant reach the other side of my house? 

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/5/20 2:10 p.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :

Add another wireless access point, connected via ethernet cable to the otherside of the house.  Run the cable through a basement or crawlspace or along the baseboards.

Raising the existing one higher can also help increase range, mounting it to the wall near the ceiling typically helps.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/5/20 2:10 p.m.
Apexcarver said:
z31maniac said:
tuna55 said:

In reply to mtn :

Hey, I'm in that one too.  Any suggestions on specific products so I can ditch the Verizon FIOS POS that cant reach the other side of my house? 

Well, I don't have a "cheap" setup, since I work from home 2-3 days per week.......and have a weird long/boomerang shaped house on a corner lot. 

I have an ARRIS SB8200 modem, and use AmpliFi for the router and "boost" stations. I don't know if they still operate this way, but 15 months ago I had a power surge that killed the AmpliFi cube..........making the extra boost/mesh stations now worthless and had to buy a new "kit." 

The flip side is, I can sit on my back patio on the outside of my brick home and still pull 150/mb down.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/5/20 2:15 p.m.

The brakes in my Ram are terrible (surprise!). They make a ton of noise and I don't feel like they work very well despite the truck only having 33k miles on it.

I have purchased kits from Max Brakes before in the past and I was very happy with their performance for the price.

The kit I want is no longer available on Amazon but I can buy the kit directly from Max Brakes.

The kit includes all 4 drilled/slotted rotors along with their top pads and is $186 with free shipping.

I want to buy on Amazon because I have a $45 credit from a return.

UGH

Greg Smith
Greg Smith Dork
2/8/20 3:30 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

It might be worth talking to Ubiquiti support and see if you can add the mesh stations from your previous kit to the new kit. I strongly suspect there's a way to pair them

Greg Smith
Greg Smith Dork
2/8/20 3:38 p.m.

Normally we have more cars than we have licensed drivers in my household. At the moment, we're down to two reliably running cars. My wife's daily minivan and family hauler, and the oldest son still home has one of my Crown Vics. 

My daily Miata was hit, totaled, and in the rebuild process as discussed in other threads.

My next oldest son, on the board here as CSmith, has a 94 Miata that has been to the last two challenges, and it's now getting no spark. He is still trying to diagnose and get that resolved.

My other Crown Vic which is my backup car now that the insurance rental have to be returned, started running horrible yesterday after I left it idling for probably 90 minutes blocking traffic...

We had some seriously high winds locally and I came up on a chunk of branch in road that was smoking. turns out it was smoking because it had taken some high tension wire down with it. I called nine-one-one from the site, and while I was on the phone with them, an antire tree came down across the road a hundred feet ahead of me and another chunk of line came down less than two feet from my car! so I got people turned around as quickly as possible and backed out of that to the next intersection so that I could turn traffic around until the local responders could get on site.

The fire department didn't take too long. Somebody from the power company was by not too much later, then the State Highway administration sent a truck to start dealing with the down tree that was part of the second fall

I think it was 90 minutes or more before a sheriff's car came by to start dealing with traffic.

I'm hoping that it was an issue with it just idling too long and that maybe some of the plugs were fouled.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/9/20 10:56 a.m.

First world problem.  I had one.

As I am walking out of Micro Center last week I had the sudden realization that the new 42 inch 4K color accurate workstation monitor I just purchased (for work) was not going to fit in the trunk of my new to me Mercedes.  At that moment I was a bit embarrassed with my self and the absurdity of my problem.  

I was like WTF. If you had asked me when I was in my early 20's if I was going to have this problem I would have laughed at you and said I am never going to become "that guy".  And yet 35 years later here I am.  

TopNoodles
TopNoodles Reader
2/14/20 2:32 p.m.

HyVee must have stopped stocking their frozen chicken fried rice because it's been cleared out for weeks now. This has ruined my plans to use up leftover sauce packets from frozen chicken meals. I finally just bought the vegetable fried rice and some chicken.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/15/20 11:40 p.m.

I accidentally clicked a topping which I should not have on the online pizza configurator, and my wife had to pick pepperoni off her dinner. She was gracious about it, but I know of all the beef-containing things, this is one that tends to leave a lot behind when removed... I think it was sort of compounded by there being an intentionally pepperoni pizza, and then pepperoni all over the half-cheese/half-veggie pie.

I'm still just really stoked I can configure my pizza, including half and half versions, from the comfort of my laptop. Well, *usually* I can...

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/16/20 9:49 a.m.

In reply to Greg Smith :

It's a Crown Vic. It's almost always coils or water around the plugs. With two 4.6s in the family I always keep a spare coil on the shelf. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
2/16/20 10:04 a.m.

I've been looking at cars. Lots of them. My biggest problem? I see a car I like, and realize what sort of guys around here drive that car (jeep, charger, Challenger, Camaro...all sorts of that guy) and I don't want the car because I don't want to be that guy. Problem is, I'm already that guy. I'm pretty big, have a giant beard, and I drive trash. At a glance I am the definition of that guy. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
2/27/20 8:31 a.m.

First world problem:

I do this almost daily, and I cannot seem to train myself otherwise.

• (dropping off son)
  • stop car, put in neutral, set ebrake
  • Open drivers door and walk around to passenger side of car
  • Realize the car has locked the doors
  • Reach down and hit the button the pass door handle (outside) to unlock (this would unlock the car if it were not running)
  • Doors do not unlock
  • Reach into pocket and hit unlock button on keyfob to unlock (this would unlock the car if it were not running)
  • Doors do not unlock
  • Walk back around to driver's side
  • Hit unlock button on inside of driver's door
  • Doors unlock
  • Return to passenger side
  • Open door to let my son out

Sometimes "improvements" are regressions.  *shakes fist at cloud*

NickD
NickD PowerDork
3/2/20 6:33 p.m.

Because they are replacing the roof on the Syracuse Dome this year, there will not be a Monster Jam in Syracuse this year. Dammit.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/2/20 7:11 p.m.
Ransom said:

I accidentally clicked a topping which I should not have on the online pizza configurator, and my wife had to pick pepperoni off her dinner. She was gracious about it, but I know of all the beef-containing things, this is one that tends to leave a lot behind when removed... I think it was sort of compounded by there being an intentionally pepperoni pizza, and then pepperoni all over the half-cheese/half-veggie pie.

I'm still just really stoked I can configure my pizza, including half and half versions, from the comfort of my laptop. Well, *usually* I can...

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
3/8/20 6:49 p.m.

The exhaust I just spent 10 hours putting on my R8 is so loud you cannot think when it is high idling in the garage. Its sounds like a 4 liter sportbike in the garage. Cannot decide if I made a mistake yet until I roll it out on Wednesday when the wheels get back from powdercoat. Did not sound at all like this on my friends revision 1 from the same company. It was stuck in the high idle loop and I did not want to risk letting it warm up on the lift to let it drop. High idle is 2.5K so hopfully that is it.

I made a horrible horrible mistake or it will get better with time.

Don't get me wrong it sounds amazing, better then I remember but holy E36 M3 is it loud in a enclosed space.   

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/8/20 7:08 p.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe :

As it damages your hearing it will sound quieter.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
3/8/20 8:32 p.m.
Wally said:

In reply to wearymicrobe :

As it damages your hearing it will sound quieter.

Twenty years working in industrial labs and building/drag racing hotrods it's already gone. Plus about 35% of  my taste from working in combo chem labs. I am a mess. 

calmed down and did a dB reading in the garage and it's only 84db at fast idle. The viper is over 93db with the race setup at idle.  It's just so high pitched. 

called the dealer that sold it to me and he claims they are not so bad after a few days of breakin and when they are off idle it should be 50% louder then stock. 

we shale see. 

1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 33

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IQ9R7d60D6WfP7Z4MyC4k5d78PFSPTnIpf9sgiICg7jOke943rmwMamlGGlTOHDY