EdenPrime
EdenPrime Reader
11/14/14 7:56 a.m.

I'm leaving Minnesota and its forecasted -3F for Sarasota, Florida for my first ever Vacation. It should be in the 70s and 80s. I'm tempted to show up at the GRM HQ and ask them to sign my latest GRM mag. Worst case, they call me a creeper and tell me to beat it, best case, i'll be framing my mag.

Also, anyone in the area know of any car related stuff going on? GRM told me on Facebook about an event in Daytona I may look into.

cwh
cwh PowerDork
11/14/14 8:01 a.m.

Sarasota is a laid back region, older population, soft economy right now. Nice beaches, not sure about car stuff, but sure somebody will chime in soon. Wrong side of the state for the fun car stuff. Good long drive to Daytona area, over very boring roads.

EdenPrime
EdenPrime Reader
11/14/14 8:05 a.m.

Yeah we mapquested it and it looks like about two and a half hours of driving to Daytona. We contemplated getting a hotel and stuff, but weren't too sure. As I've never been on vacation or travelled, all I had planned was drinking sangria and mimosa beachside. :P

cwh
cwh PowerDork
11/14/14 8:10 a.m.

Stop in at Daytona, rent a car and head for Islamorada, Marathon, in the Middle Keys. That's where God goes for vacation. My favorite part of Florida, and I've been here 30 years.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/14/14 8:24 a.m.

In reply to cwh:

This, I have a 36 hours this coming year between the Rolex 24, sponsorship obligations and a club race at Sebring and I'm planning on renting a Fiesta ST (already reserved) and driving route 1 south through the keys. It was that or fly to Cat Island in the Bahamas for a day.

EdenPrime
EdenPrime Reader
11/14/14 8:40 a.m.

Oh cool. I'll already be driving a rental-- a small sub compact. (I don't know which one, yet-- I'm hoping Rio5.) I'll see if I can wing this!

EDIT: Oh wow, that is way at the bottom of Florida and a very long way from where I'm staying!

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
11/14/14 8:57 a.m.

I hate that Florida is flat, but going down there when the rest of the country is wrapped in arctic temps is unbelievably relaxing.

Sarasota is a nice area. I'd suggest going out to Siesta Key as well as inland to Myakka River State Park.

EdenPrime
EdenPrime Reader
11/14/14 9:02 a.m.
PHeller wrote: I hate that Florida is flat, but going down there when the rest of the country is wrapped in arctic temps is unbelievably relaxing. Sarasota is a nice area. I'd suggest going out to Siesta Key as well as inland to Myakka River State Park.

Thank you! That will be much easier to do.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
11/14/14 9:15 a.m.

Tampa's Ybor (eee-bor) City is a fun place to go for nightlife on the weekends, many of the shops and stores are open late (as well as the night clubs).

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
11/14/14 9:29 a.m.

In reply to EdenPrime:

Make sure you go here while you are there.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/14/14 9:36 a.m.
captdownshift wrote: In reply to cwh: This, I have a 36 hours this coming year between the Rolex 24, sponsorship obligations and a club race at Sebring and I'm planning on renting a Fiesta ST (already reserved) and driving route 1 south through the keys. It was that or fly to Cat Island in the Bahamas for a day.

If you can rent a Fiesta ST, everything else is cake. Just drive around and enjoy the car, doesn't really matter where you go.

EdenPrime
EdenPrime Reader
11/14/14 9:39 a.m.

Thanks Bravenrace! I'll be sure to try it! I'm excited for some seafood.

cwh
cwh PowerDork
11/14/14 9:45 a.m.

I suggest you get on State Route 27 from Sebring all the way to Homestead/ Florida City. Skip US1 entirely. 27 morphs into SR997 heading to Homestead. At intersection of 997 and US1, take Card Sound Road east to Alabama Jacks. Great dive bar, decent food, used to be a hang out for smugglers. For-real smugglers. Not so much now, but still very interesting. From there you can continue east and join back up with US1.

unk577
unk577 Reader
11/14/14 9:49 a.m.

^this. 27 is a great route that shows you a lot of old Florida.

Also when will you be down. DuPont registry is doing their Cars and Coffee on 11/15 about 45 minutes to the north in St. Petersburg. It's starts early

EdenPrime
EdenPrime Reader
11/14/14 9:53 a.m.

Thank you, guys! I appreciate it.

unk577 wrote: ^this. 27 is a great route that shows you a lot of old Florida. Also when will you be down. DuPont registry is doing their Cars and Coffee on 11/15 about 45 minutes to the north in St. Petersburg. It's starts early

My plane leaves at 3pm tomorrow (15th) and I wont arrive until around 7:30pm, so I'm unsure if the cars & coffee will work out.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
11/14/14 10:21 a.m.

If you can make it to Daytona, the Daytona Historics-- presented by HSR is going on this weekend:

http://www.hsrrace.com/2014_Events/Daytona/2014Daytona.html

and (today at least) the weather is perfect!

EdenPrime
EdenPrime Reader
11/14/14 10:32 a.m.

Yeah I was going to see if I could make that. It sounds like the biggest car thing going on within a 3 hour radius. Thank you!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/19/14 7:09 p.m.

And we're here in the office 9-5 Monday through Friday. Come on down. (Or come on over or whatever.)

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
11/19/14 8:16 p.m.

Lot's of cool places in Florida, but others are more qualified to comment than me. I do love St Augustin though.

One thing, can you explain how this is your first ever vacation? That just doesn't jive with my brain.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vQyz0dcK7WSkGg0JVUylRTU4T2VypXBe1Yi1Ch3TUENRwyjHrjjtSpcZtaHG395A