melissaazevedo
melissaazevedo New Reader
7/3/20 3:08 a.m.

I'm thinking of buying a fold able helmet for my bike. Would it be safe and strong as same as regular helmet? I haven't used fold able helmet before. So, I suspect if it could be strong enough to protect the head in case of accident.

Pattyo
Pattyo Reader
7/3/20 8:08 a.m.

In reply to melissaazevedo :

A full face helmet is the strongest one. Everything else is a compromise for comfort.

When you say bike do you mean motorcycle or bicycle?

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/3/20 8:39 a.m.

In reply to Pattyo :

Based on her other thread referencing a Yamaha R3 I would say motorcycle. 

I am not sure what a foldable helmet is, but if you are talking about something like a Shoei Neotec 2, then yes you will be fine. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/3/20 11:42 a.m.

I think they are fine safety wise, I just don't see much point to them.  It's nice to flip open the helmet, but I could not see myself riding around like that, or even walking into a store.

I found sunglasses to be a pain, but necessary if you want to ride with the visor up, so I went with a helmet with a built in flick down / up visor, I like it a lot.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
7/3/20 12:52 p.m.

So it turns out there is such thing as foldible bicycle helmets: https://www.pocampo.com/blogs/all/foldable-bike-helmets-for-the-bike-commuter

...but can't really understand the need for them. The point of wearing a helmet is for impact protection, and the less rigid the helmet the less protection it would seem to provide.

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/3/20 1:39 p.m.

In reply to nderwater :

They fit in a backpack.

If you commute on a bike in an urban setting, you can chain up your bike to something, but you can't secure the helmet.  Carrying it throughout the day is a pain.  Leaving it unsecured hanging on the handlebar is a good way to have it stolen, or to gert rained on and all nasty inside.

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
7/3/20 2:50 p.m.

That reads like a conoe boys. 

If it's not, as long as the "fold able" helmet meets the standards of testing (cpsc ?) then it's fine. 

the advantage of a foldable helmet is off bike storage when commuting or running errands. There have been a few around for years but they never caught on. 

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/3/20 4:33 p.m.

In reply to ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) :

You know something?  You're right!

That one slipped in quietly.  All of her posts look equally canoe ish.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
7/4/20 6:04 p.m.
SVreX (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) :

You know something?  You're right!

That one slipped in quietly.  All of her posts look equally canoe ish.

I thought the same thing.  

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/4/20 6:40 p.m.
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) said:

That reads like a conoe boys. 

If it's not, as long as the "fold able" helmet meets the standards of testing (cpsc ?) then it's fine. 

the advantage of a foldable helmet is off bike storage when commuting or running errands. There have been a few around for years but they never caught on. 

I thought the same thing. 

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/4/20 8:38 p.m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
u9Dv49K6u8frmYeVbzGdRRQaYOyNaNF14PB3hxCUAeWiV5Y1yCJffUGe8aSMRTTT