1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 21
Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/27/19 5:05 p.m.
914Driver said:

OoooooWeee is that SWEET !!!!

I had two of those rollups covered with Trish's homemade vanilla ice cream.  My teethe were on edge so I had to hose it down with more Vanilla.  If you have a sweet  tooth, this is the bomb.

Side note:  Recipe called for 12 oz. Mountain Dew, I bought a 16 oz. bottle.  I had my very first (and last) sip of Mountain Dew.  How do people drink that stuff all the time?

Ok, so I skipped the recipe, read your edit..got to Mt. Dew and went..what the berkeley? 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
11/27/19 5:06 p.m.
Grizz said:

Made some venison chili just now.

Recipe:
Ground dur: three freezer packs and seasoned with some adobo mix badia makes that tastes great on literally every meat I've tried it on.
Minced garlic: yes
Onion: also yes
For the hot, a handful of serranos and some habaneros diced up and tossed in
Some small orange sweet peppers also diced up and tossed in
Kidney beans, navy beans and butter beans because I found out I was short a can of navy
Diced tomatoes and then crushed added and let it cook down for an amount of time.

In case you couldn't tell, I wing it while cooking.

It was already great so once it sits in the fridge for the night I expect it to be even better.

That's the seasoning, I can't make burgers without it anymore.

Badia sazon is a staple around here. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/27/19 7:42 p.m.

had a little epiphany. Pumpkin pie plus egg roll wrappers just might equal delicious.

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve HalfDork
11/28/19 7:54 p.m.

No pics, just secrets..

This first one takes a bit of practice and a gallon of milk to wash down cause its really rich. Its actually my grandmothers recipe. It also explains why I'm bored line diabetic.

---- Grandma Sarah's Chocolate Pie ----

Makes one pie

Ingredients

1 - 9" frozen pie shell
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
1/3 cup regular flour
dash salt
2 cups milk
3 eggs separated
1/2 stick butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 teaspoon Cream of tartar
1/4 cup sugar

Cook pie shell at 400 degrees.

While shell is cooking separate eggs and set the whites aside.

Mix together the first four ingredients - sugar, cocoa, flour and salt
in a bowl.

Pie shell should be finished, set aside and set oven to 275 degrees to
cook pie and brown meringue.

Mix the 3 egg yolks and milk. constantly stirring add cocoa mixture. Cook
the mixture over medium heat stirring constantly. Add the butter and
vanilla (microwave to melt) just as it starts to thicken. It will thicken
quickly at this point, stir constantly (remove from heat and stirring helps
control the mix) and pour into pie shell. it will burn if you dont stir, a lot!

Put pie into oven while making meringue.

Whip the egg whites, cream of tartar and dash of salt until stiff. Slowly
add the 1/4 cup of sugar and whip until well mixed.(a second set of hands helps)

Cover the entire pie with the meringue and place in 275 degree oven until
golden brown, about 25 minutes. (every oven is different, watch it)

Cool and serve.

---- End Grandma Sarah's Chocolate Pie ----

This one is easier but takes good forearms to mix it together. Also called no bake cookies by some. Only about a quart of milk is required, but I generally eat way too many of any batch I make. laugh

---- Grandma's Cookies ----

1/2 cup butter
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup milk
4 tablespoons cocoa

1/2 cup peanut butter

2 teaspoons vanilla

3 cups dry quick oats

Add first 4 ingredients into a 4 qt sauce pan

Bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute

Remove from heat

Add Peanut Butter and stir until melted

Add vanilla last

Mix in oats and drop by spoonfuls onto wax paper

Let cool.

---- End Grandma's Cookies ----

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
11/29/19 6:28 p.m.

Turkey day leftover addition.  

Hawaiian buns with honey ham, swiss, and onion mustard sauce.

Roasted  honey balsamic brussel sprouts for a side.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/29/19 8:02 p.m.
914Driver said:Side note:  Recipe called for 12 oz. Mountain Dew, I bought a 16 oz. bottle.  I had my very first (and last) sip of Mountain Dew.  How do people drink that stuff all the time?

I used to drink a 2 liter before school when I was in high school.  Then when I got to be about 16 or 17, drinking anything carbonated was so upsetting to my stomach that I'd double over in pain.  (Including, as I later found out, beer)

Knurled.
12/2/19 6:38 p.m.

Not sure if this belongs in TIL, Rant, Win, or here, so it's going here.  Have been experimenting with leftovers, because I was given a 20lb turkey for Thanksgiving and there was just three of us so we have epic levels of leftovers.

I'm a technician.  I only understand things if I can derive them from first principles, I can't learn by rote.  I'm sure that if someone had explained the Maillard reaction to me when I was much younger, as well as other basic principles, I'd not be such a disaster in the kitchen. 

For the past almost 40 years, I figured you just cooked things to heat them, and IDGAF about how warm food is.  Nononono.  The art of preparing meals is in the proper chemical restructuring due to the skillful application of heat.

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING, GUYS

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/11/19 9:48 a.m.

I made these last night, pretty good.

Ingredients

Cooking spray, for pan
2 zucchini, peeled into strips
1/4 lb. ham, chopped
1/2 c. cherry tomatoes, quartered
8 eggs
1/2 c. heavy cream
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1 c. Pinch red pepper flakes
1 c. shredded cheddar

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400° and grease a muffin tin with cooking spray. Line the inside and bottom of the muffin tin with zucchini strips, to form a crust. Sprinkle ham and cherry tomatoes inside each crust. 
  2. In a medium bowl whisk together eggs, heavy, cream, oregano, and red pepper flakes then season with salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture over ham and tomatoes then top with cheese.  
  3. Bake until eggs are set, 30 minutes. 
Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve HalfDork
12/11/19 12:07 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

So you're saying if the cake mix says "bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes" I can't just bake it at 1800 degrees for 10 minutes?

So that's where I have been going wrong.

Edit - I'm not so sure I mean really they both equal 18000 degree/minutes.

Math doesn't lie.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
12/11/19 3:05 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Science generally considers the cooking of food to be largely responsible for the evolution of those highly functional brains that most of us cart around inside our heads.

And on that note, we had some leftover Peameal bacon from a roast the night previous and decided to slice it thin, fry it u and have it on pretzel buns with fried eggs and French fries. It was yummy

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve HalfDork
12/11/19 10:07 p.m.
Suprf1y said:

In reply to Knurled. :

Science generally considers the cooking of food to be largely responsible for the evolution of those highly functional brains that most of us cart around inside our heads.

And on that note, we had some leftover Peameal bacon from a roast the night previous and decided to slice it thin, fry it u and have it on pretzel buns with fried eggs and French fries. It was yummy

That looks and sounds really good. yes

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
12/13/19 12:14 p.m.

It was.

This may be the best food pic you see today. It was my lunch two days last week

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/14/19 9:31 p.m.

I challenge you to- FAT KID!

mndsm is trying to have a heart attack. This friends, is breakfast poutine. Sausage gravy, home made shoe string fries (double fried for that extra...double fried goodness) cheese curds (deep fried, because, berkeley it they're already breaded) and of course, a fried egg. Pretty sure I only get kale for the rest of the year. 

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe Reader
12/16/19 4:18 p.m.

Shredded steak barbacoa tacos.

Knurled.
12/16/19 4:21 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

I bet you could cut yourself to the bone and you wouldn't bleed much, just sort of ooze like a new ketchup bottle.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/16/19 5:12 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Nah, I still bleed ok- madolin tested, mandolin approved. 

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
12/16/19 5:42 p.m.

I still haven't nailed pulled beef, I think I always pull it off the heat too early.  This try turned out good, but still not "pulled" beef.  Really tasty tho, I ate it cold like jerky the rest of the weekend.

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled HalfDork
12/16/19 5:54 p.m.

Made a "one pan" breakfast Sunday.  Hash browns, bacon, and eggs.  Took WAYYY too long, but it was good.  Over cooked the eggs a bit.

Next time I'd just cook them separate in 3 pans in 1/3 the time.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/18/19 8:42 a.m.

Trish has started the baking!  These little guys are pastry rolled thin, cut out with a shot glass and filled with butter-cream frosting. 

There's no chewing involved, they kind of dissolve in your mouth.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/18/19 2:30 p.m.

These rollups are filled with raspberry jam, dried cherries and chocolate chips.  I could kill all of these with ONE pot of coffee!

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
1/1/20 10:50 a.m.

New year's eve dinner, we seared this prime rib in bacon fat then poured the juices over, and slow cooked it at 300 degrees

And now breakfast. It was supposed to be dinner but they were cooking faster than expected, so we had to improvise

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/1/20 3:54 p.m.

Sorry, no pictures because I forgot...

I found out I was responsible for Christmas dinner about 3 days before. Ok, nbd, my wife gets a cooking magazine (Bob Appetit) and I saw a recipe for a slow cooker Brisket.

You need to prep the brisket 24-48 hours before you cook, and it takes about 8 hours to cook. I improvised some, so I’ll post what I did: 

• 6 garlic cloves
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1/2 tablespoon horseradish
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper (no clue if I used more or less than what it called for- I just ground it straight into the food processor)
  • 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1½ teaspoons paprika
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 2 tablespoons kosher salt
  • 4-6 pounds untrimmed flat-cut brisket
  • 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
  • 1 12-oz can lager

Take the garlic and put it in a food processor and chop finely. Then put the rest of the ingredients (except for the onion, brisket, and beer) straight into the food processor, and process into a fine paste. Rub the paste all over the brisket working into the cracks and nooks and crannies. Wrap in plastic wrap and stick it in the fridge for 24-48 hours. 

The day you’re ready to cook it, line the bottom of your slow cooker with sliced onion. This is so the meat doesn’t directly touch the ceramic bottom. Then put in the brisket, cut if you need to to get it to fit. Pour in the beer and a cup of water. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours. 

It was awesome. Next time I think I’ll use more Cayenne and maybe some liquid smoke. 

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve HalfDork
1/5/20 6:53 p.m.

Hamgagu or Japanese Hamburger Steak. I thought I would try something new, I decided to take pictures of the process.

First saute onions, then let them cool. Salt and pepper them while cooking.

I used straight beef but the recipe I sort of followed said a beef pork mixture. Mix with egg, Panko bread crumbs, the sauteed onions, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Make patties, I made them kindo square to fit into my lunch container.

Cool the patties in the fridge for 30 minutes or so. Cook over medium heat.

The recipe calls for a red wine, I picked a Blackberry Merlot. I'm not a wine expert so there might be a better choice.

Some wine reduced with the patties. And a sauce made with the same wine, ketchup, A1, butter, water.

And this was supposed to be for my lunch, and it wound up being dinner..... Oops ...... I did have 2 patties left.

It wasn't bad, the sauce was different, I would make a different sauce next time. The Blackberry flavor didn't come in over the nutmeg. With Teriyaki sauce it would be good and lunch tomorrow will have Teriyaki sauce.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
1/5/20 7:18 p.m.

Recipe:

1 fire

1 steak

1 bag Brussels sprouts

Add steak and sprouts to fire. Season to taste.

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve HalfDork
1/6/20 9:34 p.m.
ultraclyde said:

Recipe:

1 fire

1 steak

1 bag Brussels sprouts

Add steak and sprouts to fire. Season to taste.

That seems to be A LOT easier than mine and it looks good too!

I hate you.

laugh

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 21

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IAmyGMYXXzTBwfYiOU0GqEHoc56ecQqZfq8OaEmTdcXVRZQdZ6NmoRlHXwOB6gMs