1 2 3
Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/9/18 10:59 a.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem :

I didn’t realize(and probably shouldn’t know) goats could be completely housebroken... 

pheller
pheller PowerDork
5/9/18 6:21 p.m.

I find it interesting that guy with such dedication to animals would also be a hunter, especially small birds which only produce about 12-16oz of meat at most. Then again, I wouldn't turn down hunting with Jimmy, either. 

I'm not a vegetarian mind you, but I find wild bird hunting to be a wasteful thing. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/9/18 8:35 p.m.

I would like to imagine that to a hunter, as I am, to have more respect for the nourishment provided by the animal, than seeing a wad of meet in a store , without giving much, if any thought that it was once alive. And I'm not speaking for the doc, and I'm not casting judgment on anyone for or against.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
5/9/18 9:56 p.m.

Horse call to Mr. Anthony.  One of his horses turned up lame.  Turns out only to be bad bruise on one hoof after rocky trail ride. One of his favorite clients.  Retired at 75 as a dairy farmer.  Now at 81 spends about 12 hours a day riding his horses

Didn't like riding in rain so he built a 120x250' covered arena to train his 20 or so horses.  Oh yeah...he took up learning to play guitar last year.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
5/10/18 9:21 p.m.
pheller said:

I find it interesting that guy with such dedication to animals would also be a hunter, especially small birds which only produce about 12-16oz of meat at most. Then again, I wouldn't turn down hunting with Jimmy, either. 

I'm not a vegetarian mind you, but I find wild bird hunting to be a wasteful thing. 

I broached this topic with bro...actually showed him your post.  Somewhat complex response touching on beauty of watching purpose bred working bird dog work, , the fact he is not a trophy hunter (his freezer red meat staple is venison ) and consumes everything he harvests, conservation and wildlife  management practices, plus the fact he gets to hunt in an intimate  setting with a former POTUS and Nobel laureate.  Carter seeks brother out to take him on hunts because most of his activities are pre planned orchestrated publicity appearances but with brother it's real low key stuff.  Plus, my brother makes is sporting using a vintage Winchester  .410 pump shooting 2 1/2" shells.wink

After the day hunting they return to Carter compound to sip bourbon (although carter only indulges in a glass of wine iirc) and have carter staff prepare smothered quail in mushroom  gravy over wild rice with buttermilk  biscuits and watch SEC  football..  Not a bad fall afternoon.

SIDE NOTE:  Interesting fact...JC in his 4 years as POTUS only took off 79 days for recreation.  Lowest amount of any modern president. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
5/11/18 8:47 a.m.

Dang, now I have to get my sister to start sending me pics and stories of her veterinary exploits.

Matt B
Matt B UltraDork
5/11/18 9:05 a.m.

Talk about winning at life.  Jeez.  

Thanks for sharing all this.  The occasional  dose of humanity helps.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
6/5/18 10:34 a.m.

Not much for me to post as I haven't been there in last 3 weeks.  How about recent xray of some of Frank's surgical handiwork on a bad broken leg.  pup is running around now like nothing happened!

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
6/5/18 10:52 a.m.

This is a case from a little over a year ago. This dog was rescued by the Sheriff's Department and they discovered it had been chained up for lengthy period of time. So long that the chain had been embedded in its neck and was severely infected.

it took 10 months of follow up care and socializing animal at his clinic.  Was able to ultimately place  for adoption with the sheriff who rescued him. After picture showing healed neck.  Oh yeah...original owner got 2 years in prison on a cruelty charge.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
6/5/18 12:53 p.m.

This is pretty cool. Apparently it is somewhat common in some dogs for their tear glands to fail. It results in the dog's eye becoming dry and irritated. Got to be uncomfortable. He goes in and surgically ducts the salivary gland to the tear ducts. Results in irrigation of eye with saliva in place of Tears. Results in much relief for the dog.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
6/5/18 1:11 p.m.

7 days post op

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
8/18/18 9:59 a.m.

Picture of my brother and his dog taking a break outside his clinic in Plains Georgia.    Appeared today in an article in the Washington Post about Jimmy Carter's laid-back lifestyle.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/18/18 3:38 p.m.

Even superheroes need a day off. 

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
8/18/18 5:05 p.m.

O&F your dear brothers commitment to his craft has garnered  him a perfect google map comment score.....24 comments ......all 5's............SCOREBOARD!!!!  Oh and to those of y'all that can't grasp the the wing shooting thing.....pssst it's more about the DOG in the field on POINT......the reward is in the skillet. Love this, keep'em comin'!!!

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/18/18 8:55 p.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem :

The Saluki we rescued from Kuwait had the same thing done to him. Has the scar around his neck and either suffers PTSD or from issues with blood flow having been restricted to the brain. Basically jumps from one of three personalities: stoner, goofy, highly reactive. Never know which you're gonna get. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5tqW95v0kfzL2GZyBk4ifzJzoTgJfen4hqwfb3yySVBR14Lk6afQgzW1ni5EMzul