1 2
iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
5/12/18 10:56 a.m.

Ford to restart at two plants sometime next week.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/12/18 10:56 a.m.

In reply to STM317 :

GM too I think. You nailed it though, especially as manufacturers get into more exotic materials and cutting edge mqnufacturing processes, there just aren't that many guys out there doing it, and even fewer that can support the volume and overhead needed to supply an OEM production line. 

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
5/12/18 6:11 p.m.

Ford found a fix, whatever it was.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
5/12/18 6:54 p.m.

In reply to SVreX :

I have a response to this based upon my years and years in manufacturing butarguing on the Internet is like French kissing your sister.  The momentary joy is replaced by years of regret.  

Yes. I just called you my sister. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
5/13/18 7:09 a.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

It's ok. I've always had a thing for women, so I figure I must be a lesbian. 

Incestual lesbianism?  

cheekycheeky

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
5/13/18 7:13 a.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine :

For what it's worth, I have no desire to argue. I was much more interested in you helping me understand based on your years of experience in manufacturing. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/13/18 8:51 a.m.
SVreX said:
1988RedT2 said:

In reply to Pete Gossett :

It could still hurt them.  If their trucks are 20% more expensive than a Chevy, the customer will buy the Chevy.  Most buyers have a brand loyalty, but it has its limits.

Fords are already more expensive than Chevys. 

That is because they aren't Chevys.

Knurled.
5/13/18 8:55 a.m.
SVreX said:

I understand the concept of just-in-time. 

I don't understand being completely dependent on a single vendor for any component at all. 

Hi.  My name is Knurled.  I used to be an '80s VW dork and also used to work on a whole lot of them in a professional manner.

Let me tell you all the fun ways in which having multiple suppliers for the same components can make life hell for anyone servicing the bastards...

Knurled.
5/13/18 9:02 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

If the supplier has proprietary tech.  There is no other source. 

What I hear people saying is the army should have more than one source for blackhawks.  It’d dont work that way. 

I have heard arguments that the AAF should have standardized the P-38 as THE "United States fighter airframe" and had all of the various aircraft manufacturers build them.

I saw that as a nightmare of similar-but-differents.  It's not like, say, subcontracting out pistol manufacture to a sewing machine company.  They're a little bit more complicated than that and you NEED to have infinite interchangeability to keep the supply lines simple.

The same principle applies in auto manufacture.  Which is in large part why EVERYTHING has power windows and power locks and options are only available as "packages".  It's a lot cheaper to manufacture that way because the supply chain is so much simpler.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OpuHAfqRgHykdVytdoW7vEv1UEgDBwvrqos4U96PLwJ0pO02e63J5SYMRVB9zLCI