1 2 3 4 5 ... 9
hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/6/15 10:02 a.m.

Jeez, I go to the West coast for a few days without much time or internet connection and it looks like the place went crazy. Did anybody get banned?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
8/6/15 10:14 a.m.

In reply to hobiercr:

No, but that is what Momma Suddard is trying to avoid.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/6/15 10:36 a.m.
Jerry wrote:

More accurate:

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
8/6/15 10:42 a.m.

'Intelligent conversation'? Gimme a sec to get a drink, then can somebody point me to this unicorn?

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
8/6/15 10:48 a.m.

Maybe we should start letting the users vote on who gets banned? That could be fun to watch....

Keith Tanner
8/6/15 10:50 a.m.

Mob rule!

"Welcome to the GRM forum, here's your pitchfork".

Actually, a friend of mine (Ottawa on the forum) suggested that every car be equipped with a paintball launcher. You get a quota of paintballs every month, say 5. If another car does something that offends you - cuts you off, speeds in a construction zone, drives over a cyclist, whatever - you nail it with a paintball. If it's particularly egregious, you use your entire month's allocation of paintballs.

Whenever the police see a car with a large number of paintball marks, the driver gets a ticket.

This sort of thing could actually be enacted on a forum.

G. P. Snorklewacker
G. P. Snorklewacker MegaDork
8/6/15 10:52 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard:

I thought that was what the "!" was for.

Gary
Gary Dork
8/6/15 11:06 a.m.

Speaking of the "!" ... it's located on the screen right where I scroll up and down on my iphone so I'm constantly giving perfectly good posts the "!"

Does anybody else have that problem?

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/6/15 11:18 a.m.
Gary wrote: Speaking of the "!" ... it's located on the screen right where I scroll up and down on my iphone so I'm constantly giving perfectly good posts the "!" Does anybody else have that problem?

Indeed I do!

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
8/6/15 11:20 a.m.
Gary wrote: Speaking of the "!" ... it's located on the screen right where I scroll up and down on my iphone so I'm constantly giving perfectly good posts the "!" Does anybody else have that problem?

Dont have that particular problem but I have accidentally hit "!" before. The mods told me to "+" the post to cancel out the flag.

Gary
Gary Dork
8/6/15 11:27 a.m.

In reply to MrJoshua:

OK, thank you.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/6/15 11:28 a.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote:
bluebarchetta wrote: Some of the most thoughtful, nuanced political discussions I've read on the Web were right here at GRM Off-Topic. (No, I'm not kidding.) I'll miss that. Sounds like this is still going to be the best place to find out how to change plugs on a 2-valve 4.6 Ford motor, or what to watch out for when shopping for an old XJ-S, or what's the most effective way to spend $500 on my Miata.
I will miss it, too. Unfortunately, a few blowhards have ruined that for everybody. Best-case scenario is that they cannot respect the rules and get themselves banned; then the rest of us can go back to intelligent conversation. Margie

Another forum I'm on dealt with the too-much-politics, etc.. problem by creating a sub-forum for it. Has that been considered or discussed? It's like knowing that if you're into having that sort of discussion at a party, you only do it in the spare bedroom and not in the main party room.

Either way, thanks for hosting, even if you keep spiking the punch with MX-5

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
8/6/15 12:09 p.m.

Sub-forum has been discussed, but not gonna do it. I've seen too many people bring their butthurtedness from other threads into unrelated ones to trust that that would work.

Besides, the internet is full of places that are created for just that kind of interaction.

Margie

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/6/15 1:07 p.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote: Sub-forum has been discussed, but not gonna do it. I've seen too many people bring their butthurtedness from other threads into unrelated ones to trust that that would work. Besides, the internet is full of places that are created for just that kind of interaction. Margie

Roger that.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/6/15 1:24 p.m.

Yes. I've even "!" my own posts before.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
8/6/15 2:08 p.m.

So I take it Amy threads are cool? YES!!

etifosi
etifosi Dork
8/6/15 2:15 p.m.

GRM GM's required job skill:

Keith Tanner
8/6/15 2:24 p.m.
Cotton wrote: So I take it Amy threads are cool? YES!!

I don't think the Amy thread was one which could have been anticipated.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/6/15 2:25 p.m.
wbjones wrote: what he said … "Amy thread" ?

I said that the work week crew needed 48 hours to review it.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/6/15 2:49 p.m.
moparman76_69 wrote: I feel like your title should be "Cat Herder" instead of "General Manager"

Speaking of, we got another one.

Rescue kitteh!

20150731_231838 by concealer404, on Flickr

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/6/15 7:28 p.m.

In reply to Swank Force One:

Does she have a name yet? I have an idea for one...

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
8/6/15 7:38 p.m.
Cotton wrote: So I take it Amy threads are cool? YES!!

The next time I meet a girl named Amy I'm a-gonna start giggling uncontrollably and she won't know why.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/6/15 7:50 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: More accurate:

That party is right here in Gainesville! I haven't yet figured out when it is or how to get an invite though.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
8/6/15 7:51 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
Jerry wrote:
More accurate:

Pretty sure that second one is about 1 1/2 miles from me. I've driven by while they are having that party but always been in the middle of something.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/6/15 8:18 p.m.
dyintorace wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote: More accurate:
That party is right here in Gainesville! I haven't yet figured out when it is or how to get an invite though.

It would appear owning a Datsun/Nissan would be a good start.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
m0e9AteJEcSAUWAH7ssNdKW973pZh2BxUvJka4xYJb4AMtlgH0idEvpnY83EEACy