pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/27/18 8:09 a.m.

A can opener opens cans, it does nto close them.

A bottle opener opens bottles, it does not close them.

A letter opener opens letters, it does not close them.

But a garage door opener both opens, and also closes, garage doors. 

When you get home, you are going to get out of your car anyway. When you are in your car leaving however, you don't want to stop and get out to close the door. So I'd argue that a Garage Door Closer is more important than a Garage Door Opener.  So why the name? 

My guess is that back in the day, doors were heavy, so opening was hard but closing was gravity-assisted and therefore easy.  But that is not the case anymore. So this relic from the 50's needs to be put to rest once and for all and we need to change the name to Garage Door Closer. 

You might be thinking, this seems very unimportant and trivial and perhaps even stupid.  You would be right.  Welcome to my brain. 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/27/18 8:59 a.m.

A pick up line can get you anything from funny looks to a slap in the face, but rarely will it help you pick anything up.

Add it to the list!

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
11/27/18 9:04 a.m.

I prefer Overhead Door Operator but people think I use too many fifty cent words. I would say those people are obstreperous.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
11/27/18 9:10 a.m.

They call it a door opener because it opens the door.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
11/27/18 9:31 a.m.

television-power-on-and-offinator-mit-der-channel-geflicker-und-der-volume-upper-oder-der-downinator-also-mit-der-settings-button-thingie

Not just "the channel changer" or "clicker"

imgon
imgon Reader
11/27/18 9:34 a.m.

Park in a driveway, drive on a parkway????

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/27/18 2:02 p.m.

Maybe you're just not trying hard enough with the can opener. :)

RossD
RossD MegaDork
11/27/18 2:40 p.m.

A rose by any other name is still just a thorny bush.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/28/18 2:55 p.m.

Corn oil is made from corn, yet baby oil is not made from babies. 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/28/18 11:18 p.m.

Language, it's such a precise tool.

"Let's eat, Grandma!"

"Let's eat Grandma!"

Commas save lives.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
11/29/18 11:27 a.m.

It is called an opener because opening is necc. to access the portal.

Closing is secondary

jimbbski
jimbbski Dork
11/29/18 6:33 p.m.

Depending on where you live, that is which side of the Atlantic. Putting something in your "boot" or under your "bonnet" means something completely different.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/29/18 6:59 p.m.

I would have to say it all depends on the position of the door. If it's open, you have a garage door closer. If it's closed, you have a garage door opener. 

At the moment both of mine are openers, but earlier today one of them was a closer and the other was a closer. 

Actually one of mine is currently neither. It's a ceiling mounted, remote controlled, noise maker. Push the button and it will play you the song of its people. Sounds a lot like grinding gears to me. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZiqxVCAKIBcwJ85JEbTsqKQh9O8MtGbHUbXYm3uKH4K4TdPCbxJkC0Y0KKbM7M6y