orphancars
orphancars Reader
5/16/15 3:34 p.m.

So I went to the orange box store and picked up a couple of these to see if they would give me some better lighting in the garage:

These

And I get them home and in the instructions they say "not recommended for surface mounting". Label on the fixture says to mount a minimum of 18" away from ceiling. And the orange box store had them on display screwed into a board, which tricked me into thinking that's how they could be mounted . Of course a quick perusal of the manu's website doesn't yield anything interesting/helpful. So I figure if there is someone out there in GRM land that can help when someone needs advice on getting animal blood for a project, there's gotta be someone out there that can tell me why these can't be screwed into my garage ceiling.

Plan B: anyone got a good recommendation for a fixture/light I can use in the garage. Garage is ~880 SF and has 8 foot ceilings. I've gotten by with a bunch of el-cheap-o workshop lights surface mounted to the ceiling, but they were cheap, buzzed, started slow when cold, and I put up like 12 of them to give me some light in there.

thx in advance....

92dxman
92dxman Dork
5/16/15 3:51 p.m.

I used to work with lighting fixtures. I'll do some research and get back to you..

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
5/16/15 4:21 p.m.

One of the guys over on the garage journal board was nice enough to create a number of lighting layouts for various size garages: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289441

orphancars
orphancars Reader
5/16/15 9:54 p.m.

Thanks in advance 32dxman -- appreciate the help!

Stuart -- thanks for the link -- off to check it out now...

84FSP
84FSP Reader
5/17/15 10:47 a.m.

I ran 4 of those in my 22'x22' garage with 14'ceilings and it's a good amount of light. I had previously run 8 of them in a 24'x24' garage which was epic but often mistaken for a landing strip...

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
5/17/15 10:54 a.m.
Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
5/17/15 11:50 a.m.

If there aren't any vents on top of that ballast box, I don't see why it would need to hang.

orphancars
orphancars Reader
5/17/15 3:05 p.m.
84FSP wrote: I ran 4 of those in my 22'x22' garage with 14'ceilings and it's a good amount of light. I had previously run 8 of them in a 24'x24' garage which was epic but often mistaken for a landing strip...

How were they mounted? what kind of ceiling did you have in those 2 spaces?

orphancars
orphancars Reader
5/17/15 3:05 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: If there aren't any vents on top of that ballast box, I don't see why it would need to hang.

See? That's exactly what I was thinking -- and why I looked them over for about an hour after I brought them home....

Spitsix
Spitsix GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/17/15 6:56 p.m.

How do you access the ballast on the fixture / Luminaire? I think that there is a ballast Cover on top of the fixture. There is nothing to screw into. If there is not a ballast cover the Ballast cover on top, that is where the ballast would be mounted and those T5 get hot. I would suggest 4 point mounting with eye hooks and a couple of links of jack chain.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
5/17/15 11:30 p.m.
orphancars wrote: Plan B: anyone got a good recommendation for a fixture/light I can use in the garage. Garage is ~880 SF and has 8 foot ceilings. I've gotten by with a bunch of el-cheap-o workshop lights

You are describing my garage. Same size, 8 ft ceilings.

I used these cheapies. Surface mounted. Electronic ballasts & they have none of the issues you describe. Instant on, no flickering, no buzz. Great lights.

Before cheapo lighting:

photo 0C39CF8B-27DB-477E-95D0-0464778716FB_zpscgkzvzpa.jpg

After:  photo 1AED7449-900E-437B-9407-B70A3B05CDD4_zpsnotttvg9.jpg

If I get ambitious or decide I need more light, I'll paint the walls & ceiling. I did that in the other room in my basement and the difference is incredible.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ya8gGI2xJ3HHunmBikIlK5soB7LVfKy0RtmeScqijAg5TTyDo0SotyWHTzIBKqrI